Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

3 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Does it have to do with him, and him alone? Or is there an element of “team” that is dressed in front of Gibson that has caused the decline? Not to mention coaching. Not to mention the teams they play the most got better overall, while the Ducks remained stagnant or regressed. Did the Ducks goals per game decline the past two years? 

Ryan Miller outplayed him one of those 2 years. 

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Pretty sure it's a fairly common occurrence for backup goalies to have better stats in fewer games than starters 

Oh, is that what happened?

Well then …

Anyway, I was just asking questions in my prior post because I was looking for those answers. Things I was wondering about.

13 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Pretty sure it's a fairly common occurrence for backup goalies to have better stats in fewer games than starters 

Miller started 19 and played 23.

Gibson started and played 35

26 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Does it have to do with him, and him alone? Or is there an element of “team” that is dressed in front of Gibson that has caused the decline? Not to mention coaching. Not to mention the teams they play the most got better overall, while the Ducks remained stagnant or regressed. Did the Ducks goals per game decline the past two years? 

Gibson had his gaa go down slightly

It's definitely all about Los Angeles, Anaheim, Minnesota, Chicago, NY Rags, in that order for me.  I'm avoiding keeping trading him within the EAST, unless someone over pays to the moon.  I'm not sure why everyone is gung ho about Gibson, he's good, but he's not going to get better coming to Buffalo with our ***** defense. In addition, we can always just take on Kesler, and his exempt LTIR contract for one more year, and bury him for salary purposes.   I'd rather have Dostal in a deal coming back from Anaheim than Gibson at this point. 

Edited by TheCerebral1

It’s not a horrible idea. I do like the idea of having a guy that will make our GT worries go away for at least a few years and keep UPL in Rochester for a couple years. Then he can take on a more backup mentoring role. That said, it’s BS the Ducks get out of that trade dumping a salary (Gibson) and not giving up one of their top 2 prospects. They’ll have to throw in 33OA or another blue chip prospect. 

3 minutes ago, kas23 said:

It’s not a horrible idea. I do like the idea of having a guy that will make our GT worries go away for at least a few years and keep UPL in Rochester for a couple years. Then he can take on a more backup mentoring role. That said, it’s BS the Ducks get out of that trade dumping a salary (Gibson) and not giving up one of their top 2 prospects. They’ll have to throw in 33OA or another blue chip prospect. 

I really was getting comfortable with Ulmark.  I'd like to see the Sabres sign him to a 4 year deal.  

Ideally, Year 1 Ulmark starts, UPL in roch.  Year 2 Ulmark Starts, UPL backups.  Year 3 maybe a split of time, and year 4, If UPL is the stud we think, he is your starter and Ulmark takes a bit of a backseat.  If UPL is not ready/not good, you have Ulmark start for all 4 years.  

I'd overplay Ulmark SLIGHTLY on a 4 year deal if you could make that happen.

The article broke trade targets into three tiers 

Tier One: Drysdale, Zegras and 3OA

Tier Two: Comtois, Gibson, Steel Terry and Max Jones

Tier Three: Perrault, LaCombe, Dostal and Thurn. 

The idea was to take one for Tier One, Twp players from Tier Two and One from Tier Three. 
He feels that Drysdale and Zegras would difficult to obtain, they shouldn’t be though. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd have Irbe look at his last season of tape and decide if Gibson is salvageable. We can't afford another dead weight contract for 6 years. 

Salvageable is an interesting choice of words.

An Athletic survey of anonymous NHL GMs and coaches in January ranked Gibson the 7th best goalie in the league, in the 2nd tier of starters (Vasilevsky, Hellebuyck and Price were the three in tier one).

https://theathletic.com/2308397/2021/01/10/nhl-goalie-rankings/?article_source=search&search_query=Rating NHL goalies

We’re going to jump to the most interesting opinion here, because most panelists really like John Gibson and think he’s an upper-echelon goalie. But one, who gave him a 3.5 rating (tied for his lowest), explained why we might be seeing the downward arc of his career.

“I don’t see him working at his craft. I don’t see parts of his game that have really gotten better,” this panelist said. “There are older guys in the league — look at Jacob Markstrom. His game has changed quite a bit. Even a guy like Freddie Andersen has made adjustments. I feel like Gibson is collecting his paycheck. Would that be different if they had a better team in front of him?… I’m hard on him because I feel like he could be so much more.”

A GM countered that opinion.

“I disagree,” he said. “I see John Gibson play with my own two eyes. He didn’t have a good year last year, but he’s a very good goalie.”

But a goalie coach, who likes Gibson, echoed the notion that his style may be dated.

“I see his numbers every year, and they’re unbelievable, but you look at his style from a goalie coach’s point of view — he has a touch of old school to him,” he said. “It’s not pretty. There are certain parts of his game I don’t trust. But I give him credit: He’s a workhorse who can handle the load.”

Said another: “Put him on a good team and he could be a top guy.”

2 hours ago, Cascade Youth said:

I find this extremely depressing and the trade hasn’t even happened yet.  This thread is like watching the gallows being constructed from your cell window…

This thread may compete with one over on the Bill's page relating to whether Zach Ertz will ever come to Buffalo.

Are some of you guys really getting your panties all wadded up over a Chad D. article?? Really?? He may or may not be close but holy cow just hold on before you jump off a cliff with this. Let's see what the real deal turns out to be before the inevitable this sucks thread comes out 😃😁😇

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Zamboni said:

So if you're right, what good would he be with a team that's worse?

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Jimmy Murphy is not an Insider at the Athletic, he is a Boston sports media personality of mixed credibility. I hope that was the opening ask of the Bruins, the team he is most likely to have actual sources with.

Not only will that not be the return, it is almost an impossible return. How many teams in the NHL actually have all those elements, never mind the depth to absorb trading them.

From the Sabres:

Mitts, if he qualifies as top six?

Jokiharju if he qualifies as top 4?

Cozens if qualifies as a prospect still

Peterka and Samuelsson

1st overall

What do your analytics show you about starting goalies between the ages of 27 and 33, comparison to their 22 to 27 years?

I don't think Mitts or Jokiharju qualify as top 6/4 on a good team. Not meaning to crap on them.

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I really was getting comfortable with Ulmark.  I'd like to see the Sabres sign him to a 4 year deal.  

Ideally, Year 1 Ulmark starts, UPL in roch.  Year 2 Ulmark Starts, UPL backups.  Year 3 maybe a split of time, and year 4, If UPL is the stud we think, he is your starter and Ulmark takes a bit of a backseat.  If UPL is not ready/not good, you have Ulmark start for all 4 years.  

I'd overplay Ulmark SLIGHTLY on a 4 year deal if you could make that happen.

So we lose a lot for three more years ???  Can’t we just do better and get another NHL goalie right now.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, klos1963 said:

Who will be available?

There have been numerous goalies mentioned here time and time again.  Now it’s Gibson, before that it was goalies from Columbus and Arizona. All I know I’d Hutton needs to never play again and we need a goalie to split time with Uhlmark and be at least equally effective.  

We cannot go into next season with Uhlmark and a Hutton-type goalie while waiting for UPL to maybe be good in 2 or 3 more years.  

This team will NEVER improve until they address this. 

10 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

There have been numerous goalies mentioned here time and time again.  Now it’s Gibson, before that it was goalies from Columbus and Arizona. All I know I’d Hutton needs to never play again and we need a goalie to split time with Uhlmark and be at least equally effective.  

We cannot go into next season with Uhlmark and a Hutton-type goalie while waiting for UPL to maybe be good in 2 or 3 more years.  

This team will NEVER improve until they address this. 

Ullmark is never going to resign with Buffalo if you keep spelling his name wrong.

• Haha (+1) 6