Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

This damn thread has turned brother against brother.

It's at least as bad as any of the tank era threads.

I am really coming around to @PASabreFan reasoning that it has run it's course and is no longer serving the intended purpose.

What do you say Mr. Ligerchev?  Will you tear down this thread?

Did I do that right @PASabreFan ??

Maybe. I'll sleep on it. 

18 hours ago, darksabre said:

I really don't know how a conditions-based trade would work in this case. Jack is on track to get a surgery that might not only cause immediate issues, but also issues many years down the road. Do the conditions extend to the end of his contract? Can you ask to be awarded picks in 5 years because he finished the contract without issues from the surgery?

I don't know how the Sabres get a fair return for Jack without having conditions that extend all the way to the end of his contract. And what team would agree to a trade like that? I feel like it would be unprecedented.

Would be unprecedented, I agree, but I don’t think it’s necessarily that complicated, nor would a condition need to extend all the way to the end of the contract.

Something like:

Eichel for prospect X, cap dump Y, a 2022 2nd, a conditional 2023 1st, and a conditional 2024 2nd

conditional 2023 1st - if he plays 50+ games in 2022-23 the Sabres get a 2023 1st, if he doesn’t they get a 2023 3rd.

conditional 2024 2nd - if he plays 50+ games in 2023-24 the Sabres get a 2024 2nd, if he doesn’t they get nothing.

Stuff like that.

The conundrum in a proposed Jack trade is that no team is going to give up a prime prospect for him until he proves that he is healthy or on his way to regaining his health. It hasn't happened up to now and I don't see it happening until Jack's health status is clarified. It's like a vehicle deeply stuck in the mud with no tow truck on the way. Nothing is moving! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

The conundrum in a proposed Jack trade is that no team is going to give up a prime prospect for him until he proves that he is healthy or on his way to regaining his health. It hasn't happened up to now and I don't see it happening until Jack's health status is clarified. It's like a vehicle deeply stuck in the mud with no tow truck on the way. Nothing is moving! 

This may very well be accurate.  And its a real kick to the groin that, due to his injury, we may have to settle for someone’s second best prospect and conditionals as the primary components.

I sure hope its not accurate.  I’d like to think that an 80% Jack is worthy of most teams top prospect, but it’s definitely not a given.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

This may very well be accurate.  And its a real kick to the groin that, due to his injury, we may have to settle for someone’s second best prospect and conditionals as the primary components.

I sure hope its not accurate.  I’d like to think that an 80% Jack is worthy of most teams top prospect, but it’s definitely not a given.

I strongly believe that Adams is determined to get some value for Jack. And that is not going to happen until the player demonstrates that he can return to his elite form at some point. That's why I have concluded that this is a long term game. We may be a year away (if ever) for an ending to this saga. What many people here fail or are reluctant to consider is that Jack may never be what he once was. 

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Weave said:

Even if a Jack gets his ADR how many teams will feel he can take a serious blow? Aside from crowns, nothing artificial can truly replace your original equipment. I'm finding that with my new knees.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Even if a Jack gets his ADR how many teams will feel he can take a serious blow? Aside from crowns, nothing artificial can truly replace your original equipment. I'm finding that with my new knees.

Yes I have been wondering the same thing.  If other teams are cautious like the Sabres then getting that surgery won't help the trade price.

8 hours ago, Curt said:

Would be unprecedented, I agree, but I don’t think it’s necessarily that complicated, nor would a condition need to extend all the way to the end of the contract.

Something like:

Eichel for prospect X, cap dump Y, a 2022 2nd, a conditional 2023 1st, and a conditional 2024 2nd

conditional 2023 1st - if he plays 50+ games in 2022-23 the Sabres get a 2023 1st, if he doesn’t they get a 2023 3rd.

conditional 2024 2nd - if he plays 50+ games in 2023-24 the Sabres get a 2024 2nd, if he doesn’t they get nothing.

Stuff like that.

The concern here could be that a healthy Eichel makes that conditional pick less valuable, as his team would likely finish higher in the standings.

The way things stand now,  the only way to get top value is for a healthy Eichel to prove his value with the Sabres before a trade.

4 hours ago, klos1963 said:

The concern here could be that a healthy Eichel makes that conditional pick less valuable, as his team would likely finish higher in the standings.

The way things stand now,  the only way to get top value is for a healthy Eichel to prove his value with the Sabres before a trade.

Ok.  Unrelated to my post.

I was just laying out how conditions might be attached to any picks.

An interesting thought that i mentioned in the 2022 NHL draft thread: the Blue Jackets have reportedly had interest previously and they are the only team with two firsts next year that’s been mentioned to have interest. That could work in our favor in the “conditional” department.

We could get a young-ish player from them (Laine, Roslovic, Texier) and then a few picks: both firsts this year. You could condition it in a few ways: we get the two highest of our own, Columbus’ and Chicago’s (meaning we’d send them our first if somehow Chicago and Columbus are worse) OR both of their first’s but top three protect their highest pick and if one doesn’t convert we get their 2023 first unprotected.

If they want to make it playing time condition just do: we get both firsts of Jack plays half their games, if he doesn’t we get the Chicago pick and a right to swap picks or just boot it to 2023 if he doesn’t play half the games.

Edited by Hoss

41 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I will say this…John’s agent got him in and out of town last week without a single peep from him.  Going rogue again like he did at the end of season presser, would not help things at this point.  

This is more likely the Sabres doing for the most part. They choose who does and doesn’t speak to the media at team events. Outside of that it’s not like members of the media can just text Jack and ask him out for lunch.