Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

6 minutes ago, Digger said:

Really how? At the next GM meeting Bettman will tell all the other GM's to stop trying to low ball Kevin Adams and the Sabres and trade fairly and nicely for Jack Eichel.  That always worked back in school when the teacher said to play nice with Billy..............until the teacher walked away.  😃

No idea how.  Just spitballing 

21 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I’m not sure if it would help, but I wonder if at some point Bettman and Co. get involved?  This is a bad look for a league that is distant 4th in North America, and involves one of the leagues premier players. 

Fans of the other three top sports aren't even aware of this.  Hell, most of the NHL isn't except for Jack's suitors.

33 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I’m not sure if it would help, but I wonder if at some point Bettman and Co. get involved?  This is a bad look for a league that is distant 4th in North America, and involves one of the leagues premier players. 

It already happened. NHL and NHLPA officials met with the Sabres in August over the surgery issue.

11 hours ago, darksabre said:

I don't think the Pegulas care at this point if it makes them look bad, the damage is done. They'll hold Jack hostage as long as they need to. This turned from a skirmish into a siege months ago and it won't be ending anytime soon. And the longer it goes on, the less newsworthy it will be when he is finally traded. He won't be around the team so that's all that matters to them I think.

I think in all things Sabres the Pegula's are focused as much on optics as they are on revenue.  It's why they insisted Tage be re-signed a 3 year deal as some sort of face saving to ROR winning the Conn Smythe and hoisting the Cup.  Because that trade was so badly lost it was embarrassing to their thin egos and two veterans (Berglund and Sobotka) were already long gone.  

It's petty how this is all going down.  And that comes from the top, not merely with Adams. 

58 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Huh.  Didn't work, huh?

Or maybe the decision from all involved was that the two parties should continue to make the situation uglier and sabotage the image of the franchise, the player and the league. I guess we don't know what we don't know!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SabresVet said:

It's petty how this is all going down.  And that comes from the top, not merely with Adams.

I'm not so sure about either part of that line.  I don't know that it comes from the top; it might be 100% Adams, informed by the doctors and lawyers.  This is not being handled in a Pegula-like manner.  This isn't smooth, it's not even trying to appear smooth.  It's raw.  That's not a Pegula trait.

And I don't think it's petty.  I don't think there's much emotion at all from Adams' side.  It's just business to him.  He decided, or Jack decided, or both, that it's time to move on.  He said it in his press conference a few weeks ago- the Sabres are in control here- and he's right.  He's not being petty, he's looking for the way to most help the team.  He's not going to give Jack away for pennies on the dollar.  That doesn't make him petty, it makes him shrewd.

In the corporate world, when a company changes direction sometimes it involves workforce reductions.  When a CEO makes the decision to lay off workers, he's not being petty, he's being financially shrewd.  I think this is the same kind of thing.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

19 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I’ll take a guess at answering my own question.  I think Eichel continues to refuse the fusion surgery, and before the season begins, the Sabres suspend him without pay. 

I mentioned this yesterday, and am now wondering, can Johnny’s refusal to go along with the Sabres recommended surgery(combined with failing his physical), be enough to warrant him being suspended without pay?

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, SabresVet said:

I think in all things Sabres the Pegula's are focused as much on optics as they are on revenue.  It's why they insisted Tage be re-signed a 3 year deal as some sort of face saving to ROR winning the Conn Smythe and hoisting the Cup.  Because that trade was so badly lost it was embarrassing to their thin egos and two veterans (Berglund and Sobotka) were already long gone.  

Let's wait until Granato works with Tage before declaring him a complete bust, shall we?

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 3

42 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Let's wait until Granato works with Take before declaring him a complete bust, shall we?

Tage is in all likelihood a 3rd line player who will always have poor defensive metrics. He will be 24 when the season starts and has shown very little in his career. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Tage is in all likelihood a 3rd line player who will always have poor defensive metrics. He will be 24 when the season starts and has shown very little in his career. 

While this is mostly true, he only played a total of 55 games in his 22- and 23-year-old seasons combined due to injury and COVID.

And you have applied the Kruger factor in the cases of other prospects.

For me, the jury is still out.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 7

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I agree that he's most likely a 3rd line player.  He has the occasional flash where he works really hard and you notice him making a difference.  With his reach he should be a harder player to play against.  He may still take a step this season but we will see.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

This would push a draft pick back to 2023 at this point in order account for Jack's recovery. Considering the 2023 draft... sure we'll make that piece a conditional 1st. 

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That's a fair ask IMO.

Totally agree

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

…and if I was the Sabres, I’d want those same clauses in a good way.  

PS I thought provisional performances clauses were not allowed in trade offers. 

I believe all that got banned were Signing Clauses.

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Depends on the Conditions and the players involved.

We need a top tier Young Center, and a 1st in 22 or 23 minimum.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I believe all that got banned were Signing Clauses.

Depends on the Conditions and the players involved.

We need a top tier Young Center, and a 1st in 22 or 23 minimum.

I am at the point where a teams #1 prospect and 1 conditional 1st round pick is sufficient return for Jack.

• Like (+1) 1