Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

On 7/16/2021 at 11:55 AM, PASabreFan said:

I remember a video of Jack sitting on the bench in some scrimmage/pickup game before he was drafted. He was nastily chirping guys. I am well aware chirping is a hockey tradition. There was something about it that turned me off. He's a negative energy guy.

This sentiment, gaining steam here, is mostly a strawman, IMHO.

No, he's not.

You remember what you want to. I also remember him consoling a near-tears Dahlin on the bench. 

On 7/16/2021 at 12:09 PM, That Aud Smell said:

I tend to disagree that he lacks charisma. It's there. It can be a little flinty, but it's there.

I can't find that video of his first visit to the Buffalo area - total dog and pony show. There was the footage of him kneeling down to meet a kid in a hospital (points for the kneel!), whose name was Jack, and Eichel, obviously unscripted, turns to the PSE entourage and brightly says, "hey, guys, his name's Jack too!" Very sweet. I'm calling it genuine.

^^^

But I'm pretty sure he said it to the young boy, to lift his spirits. "my name is Jack, too!" 

On 7/16/2021 at 2:05 PM, inkman said:

I don’t agree.  Missing 12 games in an 82 game season is akin to a football player missing 2 games a season.  

Agree, and let's not pretend it's not skewed heavily due to a singular season: 43 games missed before this season, 35 games missed this year. If he gets this admittedly serious issue cleared up, if teams get a solid med report, returning to the injury-level he was at prior is 8.6 games missed per season. It's a factor, but well down the list of "significant" ones as it's still a player playing 73-74 games a year. He also only missed 3 to injury the last full season played, and only 1 the season after. It really does come down to the prognosis on his current ailment. 

On 7/16/2021 at 2:46 PM, Curt said:

About half of that is from this past seasons neck injury, which is a significant concern. 

Apart from that, I think Eichel has been reasonably healthy, but not the picture of health.

Pretty much. 

Probably worth mentioning two of the missed games were a suspension and not injury. 

I can't remember what he got suspended for but I can only assume it was for being a bad leader. 

Edited by Thorny

59 minutes ago, Thorny said:

You remember what you want to. I also remember him consoling a near-tears Dahlin on the bench.

Thank for you allowing me to remember what I want. I also remember his Dahlin moment.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Calling BS on this. Not only his exciting play on the ice but the work we've seen him putting in in the community 

Why is it necessary to speak for all of the fans? The fact it doesn't speak to me proves there are certainly fans out there torn up about the fact he's going, regardless of how far, far to the side of the spectrum the discussion has become on this forum. 

You do you.

But you'll have to explain how virtually everyone on this board couldn't wait to jump into the jack Eichel Trade proposal thread. (Sorry — trying to capture the asinine capitalization schemes here.)

Edited by PASabreFan

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Thank for you allowing me to remember what I want. I also remember his Dahlin moment.

You do you.

But you'll have to explain how virtually everyone on this board couldn't want to jump into the jack Eichel Trade proposal thread. (Sorry — trying to capture the asinine capitalization schemes here.)

Wasn't saying "you should remember what.." I was saying "you do remember what.." - not an issue of "allowance" or whatever

Why do I have to explain it? Not that I or others haven't tried. I've already admitted the board clearly leans that way, wasn't suggesting I wasn't the outlier given that context.

Regardless, "We've been a bad team with him, can't be much worse" is the prevailing logic, from what I've read. Plenty have also spoken to the deals themselves being a source of excitement, and kudos to those posters for the full disclosure - it's as valid a reason as any 

https://www.nhl.com/news/buffalo-sabres-jack-eichel-inspires-patients-at-buffalo-cancer-center/c-319725742

"Obviously he can't be here in person as much as he's been in the past because of the COVID-19 pandemic. But he's still having an impact on these people in so many ways, whether it's when they see his portrait or in other ways too.

"They know, like we do, that he's here in spirit with his support. Always. Even in these uncertain times."

November is the official Hockey Fights Cancer Month but for Eichel it's a 12-month-a-year effort.

Eichel has enjoyed a special relationship with Roswell Park since he first arrived in Buffalo after the Sabres selected him with the No. 2 pick in the 2015 NHL Draft, whether it be personal visits or hosting patients at home games at KeyBank Center. His portrait at the hospital, which was done by Michelle Eisenstein, staff member of Roswell Park marketing department and member of the art committee, serves as a reminder of how much he means to Roswell Park, and how much it means to him.

cut.thumb.jpg.1872a7f851babba4afc9184607c6a4a8.jpg

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

https://www.nhl.com/news/buffalo-sabres-jack-eichel-inspires-patients-at-buffalo-cancer-center/c-319725742

"Obviously he can't be here in person as much as he's been in the past because of the COVID-19 pandemic. But he's still having an impact on these people in so many ways, whether it's when they see his portrait or in other ways too.

"They know, like we do, that he's here in spirit with his support. Always. Even in these uncertain times."

November is the official Hockey Fights Cancer Month but for Eichel it's a 12-month-a-year effort.

Eichel has enjoyed a special relationship with Roswell Park since he first arrived in Buffalo after the Sabres selected him with the No. 2 pick in the 2015 NHL Draft, whether it be personal visits or hosting patients at home games at KeyBank Center. His portrait at the hospital, which was done by Michelle Eisenstein, staff member of Roswell Park marketing department and member of the art committee, serves as a reminder of how much he means to Roswell Park, and how much it means to him.

GettyImages-117115871.jpg

"Here's another example of what he does," Dr. McCarthy said. "There is a place in Buffalo called Kevin Guest House. It was established for families who have members being treated at Roswell. Before that, you'd have people sleeping in their cars. Now they have a place to stay. And I can't tell you how many meals Jack has purchased for those people.

"That's Jack. He doesn't want fanfare for it. It's just what he does."

Over the years Eichel's person-to-person relationships have brought snippets of happiness to those fighting cancer.

Even for those who tragically don't make it.

In December 2017, Eichel and teammate Sam Reinhart went to the town of Williamsville, just outside of Buffalo, to surprise Sebastien Bradley, a 9-year-old who had brain cancer. When the boy subsequently went for treatments at Roswell Park, Eichel made sure to go see him.

Sebastien passed away on May 18, 2018.

"I was there when he visited this child in the hospital," Dr. Johnson said. "If you would have seen the smile on that child's face when Jack sat down on the bed, it meant everything to the child.

972092957_cut(1).thumb.jpg.251fd5d9895bd8ed994c1697b53f0ded.jpg

• Like (+1) 7

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/eichel-to-donate-protective-masks-to-local-hospitals-covid-19-coronavirus-bauer-5000/c-316479290

Buffalo Sabres forward Jack Eichel has purchased 5,000 personal protective equipment (PPE) masks from hockey equipment manufacturer Bauer that will be distributed to various hospitals throughout Western New York. 

"I am so thankful to all those medical professionals that are on the front lines taking care of our community in the battle against this virus," Eichel said. "The dedication to Western New York that they continue to show is incredible. I am happy to work with my friends at Bauer to purchase these masks. Hopefully, they will help play a part in keeping our hospital workers safer and healthier."

- - - 

My Captain, anyways. 

• Like (+1) 9

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Disliking Eichel is based on your hurt feelings not on his hockey ability or help within the community. 

I disliked all of Buffalo’s athletes sans Josh Allen, Stevie Johnson and Marty Biron.  The others never hurt my feelings.  I just never found any of them interesting.  I certainly don’t hate Jack, I just don’t really like him either. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Thorny said:

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/eichel-to-donate-protective-masks-to-local-hospitals-covid-19-coronavirus-bauer-5000/c-316479290

Buffalo Sabres forward Jack Eichel has purchased 5,000 personal protective equipment (PPE) masks from hockey equipment manufacturer Bauer that will be distributed to various hospitals throughout Western New York. 

"I am so thankful to all those medical professionals that are on the front lines taking care of our community in the battle against this virus," Eichel said. "The dedication to Western New York that they continue to show is incredible. I am happy to work with my friends at Bauer to purchase these masks. Hopefully, they will help play a part in keeping our hospital workers safer and healthier."

- - - 

My Captain, anyways. 

I was given one of these face shields to use 

• Like (+1) 6

This is why we wait until after the expansion draft. While I think it is HIGHLY unlikely that Price moves, there still could be teams that see a 4-6mil contract taken that helps them afford Eichel in a trade. Those conversations will have happened with Buffalo already "Hey we are interested and here is some options we could work with if player X or Y go in the expansion so we can open up the salary". 

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This is why we wait until after the expansion draft. While I think it is HIGHLY unlikely that Price moves, there still could be teams that see a 4-6mil contract taken that helps them afford Eichel in a trade. Those conversations will have happened with Buffalo already "Hey we are interested and here is some options we could work with if player X or Y go in the expansion so we can open up the salary". 

I'd be shocked