Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

I don't think the locker room is all that bad. HCRK was the cancer as far as I could tell. Once he was gone, and Hall sat down, that team looked interested and engaged. The only disappointing thing is we didn't get to see Eichel in that rejuvenated environment. Eichel could return in Granato's attacking offense and thrive. Yes, the kids would all need to learn how to play defense/playoff-style hockey when the time comes. But simply getting a real hockey coach and, and-and-and two NHL-caliber goalies might be enough to see Eichel reach new levels. And drive up his trade value before the NMC next season. Or not trade at all. It's all still possible.

Adams couldn't win with the vets and talent last season, so now it's about identifying the organization's foundation and building from there.  

I think Adams didn't want to disrupt much after inheriting Krueger and that roster last off-season.  He even added to it with E. Staal and Hall.  That didn't work, so now that he's selected his HC he wants to put his stamp on the franchise.  After all, he'll be judged on the results because the major negative last season (Krueger) has been removed.

A rebuild is obviously not what long suffering fans want, but it's the reality now.  And that means stripping the roster down to young talent while unloading veterans they can for maximum return.  It also helps to become more cap-healthy. 

Edited by SabresVet

Admittedly, a bit of a tease to close Ice Breakers: With the Montreal Canadiens potentially gaining $7.86 million in more salary cap flexibility dependent on Shea Weber’s injuries, do not rule out the Habs making a play for Sabres captain Jack Eichel.

From Frank Servalli.

Yes Wookie, we know you are not trading him in the division or conference. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

The 64 gazillion dollar question is — why did Adams start thinking about moving Jack after last season?

Great question.

I bet no one calls Edmonton about McDavid without the response being “ not available.”  Just no reason to even listen.

Adams was clearly listening on Eichel last summer.  I’d think the answer should be the same as it was for McDavid.  But it wasn’t.

I’d love to know why.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

The 64 gazillion dollar question is — why did Adams start thinking about moving Jack after last season?

Because he's an inexperienced GM who doesn't understand that "culture" is something that is developed, not created, and is under the delusion that NHL GMs are given the time and space to build a team from the ground up?

In other words, he's no different than the last two failed GMs who held the job before him?

Edited by jad1
  • Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, jad1 said:

Because he's an inexperienced GM who doesn't understand that "culture" is something that is developed, not created, and is under the delusion that NHL GMs are given the time and space to build a team from the ground up?

In other words, he's no different than the last two failed GMs who held the job before him?

Kevyn Adams was an NHL player for a decade and won a Stanley Cup.  I think it’s a little silly to suggest he is clueless about how pro teams come about have a specific culture.

Im sure he also knows better than us what time and space he has been given to do with the team what he will.

Also, what is the difference between creating a culture, and developing a culture?

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 4

24 minutes ago, jad1 said:

He's very different. He came in on the business side, observed, and made recommendations to gut it. He then helped do the same to the hockey department. He gained the Pegula's trust, and has assurances he will be given the time to see his vision succeed.

Edited by JimS
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Curt said:

Kevyn Adams was an NHL player for a decade and won a Stanley Cup.  I think it’s a little silly to suggest he is clueless about how pro teams come about have a specific culture.

Im sure he also knows better than us what time and space he has been given to do with the team what he will.

I was about to post the same thing. I think he is uniquely qualified to understand “culture” better than most

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Curt said:

Also, what is the difference between creating a culture, and developing a culture?

I think the first usually involves a primordial soup and a lightning strike and the second a petri dish and regular feedings of maltose.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Der Jaeger said:

Great question.

I bet no one calls Edmonton about McDavid without the response being “ not available.”  Just no reason to even listen.

Adams was clearly listening on Eichel last summer.  I’d think the answer should be the same as it was for McDavid.  But it wasn’t.

I’d love to know why.

Because he identified the Jack-centric culture of the team as a potential impediment to its growth and thought the idea of removing it might be an option worth exploring.

After watching the dismal failure of last year’s Jack-centric culture (Jack’s coach, Jack’s chosen linemates, veteran acquisitions at Jack’s request), and getting a taste of what might be available in a Jack trade, he has decided to do more than just explore.

As an aside, I still think Skinner didn’t play with Jack because Jack didn’t want him on his line.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Because he identified the Jack-centric culture of the team as a potential impediment to its growth and thought the idea of removing it might be an option worth exploring.

After watching the dismal failure of last year’s Jack-centric culture (his coach, his linemates, his veteran acquisitions at his request), and getting a taste of what might be available in a Jack trade, he has decided to do more than just explore.

As an aside, I still think Skinner didn’t play with Jack because Jack didn’t want him on his line.

Wonder what he could have gotten last year?  Wonder if Adams wishes he traded him?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

@Ogelthorpe if they aren't giving up those players they can eat  Salt .

You may think he's overrated but I feel he's underrated if he had an  Actual coach and general manager that could build the team around him  You might think otherwise

I think what @oglethorp is arguing, which I agree with, is that no one will offer their top prospects for Eichel because they are what the GM wants to add to, not replace.  We need to replace Eichel and therefore need quality back which they may not give unless it largely comprises of 2nd tier prospects and other futures.

3 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

I don't think the locker room is all that bad. HCRK was the cancer as far as I could tell. Once he was gone, and Hall sat down, that team looked interested and engaged. The only disappointing thing is we didn't get to see Eichel in that rejuvenated environment. Eichel could return in Granato's attacking offense and thrive. Yes, the kids would all need to learn how to play defense/playoff-style hockey when the time comes. But simply getting a real hockey coach and, and-and-and two NHL-caliber goalies might be enough to see Eichel reach new levels. And drive up his trade value before the NMC next season. Or not trade at all. It's all still possible.

Granato specifically mentioned that we as fans "have no idea" what these guys are actually like in the room, how competitive they all are, in his end of season interview. He was clearly intimating that he felt the room was fine. I do trust him on this matter. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Timeline. Though I guess I should put this in the "bold takes" thread. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

After watching the dismal failure of last year’s Jack-centric culture (Jack’s coach, Jack’s chosen linemates, veteran acquisitions at Jack’s request), and getting a taste of what might be available in a Jack trade, he has decided to do more than just explore.

Isn't this the common internet meme and very likely not actually how it unfolded? "Jack is GM"

I'm losing track of whether all the bad moves were actually Krueger's fault, Jack's fault, or Terry's fault depending on the thread. 

Or Adams for making them. 

Edited by Thorny

56 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

@Ogelthorpe if they aren't giving up those players they can eat  Salt .

You may think he's overrated but I feel he's underrated if he had an  Actual coach and general manager that could build the team around him  You might think otherwise

I think that you underrate punctuation and capitalization.

• Haha (+1) 3

It's been hard waiting even though I suspect that the trade was always going to go down after the expansion draft (we'll see).

I certainly hope it goes down better than what some are expecting now for a return for Eichel.

If I was Kevin Adams I would rather be known as the GM that didn't trade Eichel because I couldn't get decent value rather than the GM that traded Eichel for a crappy return.  The media are all talking about how the asking price is now dropping. 

JB will always be remembered for the poor return that he got for Ryan O'Reilly.  It's worth mentioning and repeating very loudly that if St. Louis hadn't made that trade they would not have won the Stanley Cup.  He also won the Conn Smyth by the way.  Botterill could have waited (but I believe he was under pressure by ownership to get RO out of Buffalo), St. Louis could have gave up their better prospects and still have won the cup.  This trade set the Sabres back because we never had a good option for 2nd line center after he left.

Stay patient KA and get the best deal out there or keep Eichel until the medical issue is resolved.  This is a game of poker right now.

• Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, Digger said:

It's been hard waiting even though I suspect that the trade was always going to go down after the expansion draft (we'll see).

I certainly hope it goes down better than what some are expecting now for a return for Eichel.

If I was Kevin Adams I would rather be known as the GM that didn't trade Eichel because I couldn't get decent value rather than the GM that traded Eichel for a crappy return.  The media are all talking about how the asking price is now dropping. 

JB will always be remembered for the poor return that he got for Ryan O'Reilly.  It's worth mentioning and repeating very loudly that if St. Louis hadn't made that trade they would not have won the Stanley Cup.  He also won the Conn Smyth by the way.  Botterill could have waited (but I believe he was under pressure by ownership to get RO out of Buffalo), St. Louis could have gave up their better prospects and still have won the cup.  This trade set the Sabres back because we never had a good option for 2nd line center after he left.

Stay patient KA and get the best deal out there or keep Eichel until the medical issue is resolved.  This is a game of poker right now.

Which is interesting because Friedman on the instigators today lamented the fact the Sabres were keeping everything quiet and it made the job hard for ppl like him. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Which is interesting because Friedman on the instigators today lamented the fact the Sabres were keeping everything quiet and it made the job hard for ppl like him. 

I missed the show today, I'll take a listen.

Good that he's keeping quiet.

• Like (+1) 1