Sabres Trade Taylor Hall (50% of His Salary Retained)and Curtis Lazar to Boston for a 2021 2nd and Anders Bjork

Brawndo

Just now, Brawndo said:

That particular rule does not go in effect until the 2022 Draft and one of the underreported changes is if the team that finishes 32nd gets First Overall it does not count as a win. This is per the most recent Two in the Box Podcast. 

So I think we are good for two more years. 

Shoot, if holding the winning ticket while sitting in 32nd doesn't count as a win, these guys just might be onto something.  (Heavy sigh.)

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Taro T said:

Shoot, if holding the winning ticket while sitting in 32nd doesn't count as a win, these guys just might be onto something.  (Heavy sigh.)

Two more years of results being secondary due to the presence of Wright and Bedard, me thinks 

17 hours ago, Taro T said:

Don't forget the league in anticipating such shenanigans is now limiting how often a team can have the 1st overall pick over any 5 year period moving forward.

Thought it was only 2 wins over 5 years (maybe it was 3?).  If so, winning this year will mess up their chances in that really loaded year.  If it was 3, they're good. 😉

Just to clarify.  The new rule, (1) starts NEXT season and doesn’t apply retroactively to past seasons, and (2) does not actually limit the number of times a team can pick #1.  It limits the number of times that a team can move up in the lottery.

For Example:  If a team finishes in last place and gets #1, that doesn’t count against them.  If a team finishes in 4th to last and moved up to #2, that does count against them.

44 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Two more years of results being secondary due to the presence of Wright and Bedard, me thinks 

I really hope that Buffalo does not get these players.  I don’t want to see another savior anointed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Curt said:

I really hope that Buffalo does not get these players.  I don’t want to see another savior anointed.

If they’re bad I absolutely hope they get them because getting the best player possible in the draft is the goal. But I also hope they’re not bad enough to do so. Maybe a first we get from someone else can do the work for us.

9 minutes ago, Hoss said:

If they’re bad I absolutely hope they get them because getting the best player possible in the draft is the goal. But I also hope they’re not bad enough to do so. Maybe a first we get from someone else can do the work for us.

Unless we get a first for Jack for next season or the Bedard year, don't think that'll be on the table. Teams with the picks that have a real chance of winning won't be interested in dealing them I'd imagine, as they are after the same 2 players the Sabres are 

Can only move up 10 spots too, so have to win from the 11th hole or better

You'd have to be making a deal with a team that unexpectedly falls into the bottom 10 pretty much out of nowhere 

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Unless we get a first for Jack for next season or the Bedard year, don't think that'll be on the table. Teams with the picks that have a real chance of winning won't be interested in dealing them I'd imagine, as they are after the same 2 players the Sabres are 

Can only move up 10 spots too, so have to win from the 11th hole or better

It was mostly sarcastic. I don’t imagine anyone that has a real chance of being high in the lottery the next two years will be giving up their pick. Would take some Sharks-level disaster hockey to get there.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I know it’s kind of counter counterintuitive, as nd probably a little off the mark, but I just don’t want everyone (fans, ownership, management, teammates) looking at one guy to be THE player who is going to make the team good.

Probably a result of the trauma the Sabres have inflicted upon me.  Lol

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

I know it’s kind of counter counterintuitive, as nd probably a little off the mark, but I just don’t want everyone (fans, ownership, management, teammates) looking at one guy to be THE player who is going to make the team good.

Probably a result of the trauma the Sabres have inflicted upon me.  Lol

If targeting them is made a goal, your theory is already proven correct IMO. The mere choice of making that the goal proves it's folly - as we know it's not a good strategy 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Wherever Hall signs, get their first rounder for 2022.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Absolutely and the horse he road in on.

You've made it clear about your distaste for him. (You know what my thoughts are in the Hall saga so there is no need to rehash.) In the end compared to the dysfunctional situation he was in it worked out for him. It's unlikely that he is going to garner a gilded contract but he likely will work out a good deal with a medium term that will keep him in a better situation than he has been in years. At this stage in his career where he has already bankrolled a lot of money being happy and playing for a stable franchise is more important than trying to get the biggest deal you can on the market. While I'm sure you don't wish him well I do.   

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

You've made it clear about your distaste for him. (You know what my thoughts are in the Hall saga so there is no need to rehash.) In the end compared to the dysfunctional situation he was in it worked out for him. It's unlikely that he is going to garner a gilded contract but he likely will work out a good deal with a medium term that will keep him in a better situation than he has been in years. At this stage in his career where he has already bankrolled a lot of money being happy and playing for a stable franchise is more important than trying to get the biggest deal you can on the market. While I'm sure you don't wish him well I do.   

Until he signs for lower … I think a GM will be “star struck” to a degree and throw around 6 mil. per at him and see if he bites. In hopes that the Hall from a few years ago shows back up.

1 minute ago, Zamboni said:

Until he signs for lower … I think a GM will be “star struck” to a degree and throw around 6 mil. per at him and see if he bites. In hopes that the Hall from a few years ago shows back up.

I disagree. With respect to Boston they are very prudent in handling contracts. In this stage of Hall's career he is still a good player but he doesn't drive a line, so his high end value is diminished. My belief is that he recognizes that after being in hockey purgatory for some time Boston is a good situation for him. He is playing with good players that enhances his game and he is on a perennial winning and playoff team. 

Just now, JohnC said:

I disagree. With respect to Boston they are very prudent in handling contracts. In this stage of Hall's career he is still a good player but he doesn't drive a line, so his high end value is diminished. My belief is that he recognizes that after being in hockey purgatory for some time Boston is a good situation for him. He is playing with good players that enhances his game and he is on a perennial winning and playoff team. 

I AGREE with that assessment. I just think EVERY GM won’t see it EXACTLY that way. One or two MAY think differently and throw a boatload at him to land him.

We’ll see soon enough.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Fun thought: the Sabres and Taylor Hall should be equally hated by the fanbase for how the Taylor Hall saga went down. ***** him and ***** them. Now I hope they both find what they’re looking for.

No F-him and the F the Pegula's for how they have run this thing into the ground.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

• 5 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.