New Royal Blue Jerseys To Debut August 11, 9am

Brawndo

12 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

Wow, that was my favorite team in Buffalo sports history...i mean, wow, you actually hated them?

I loved Mike Peca but let's review other prominant members of those teams:

Derek Plante: notable wuss most remembered (by me) for getting cold cocked by Brad May during a scrum in front of the net

Michael Peca: favorite Sabre player ever.  Bad taste in mouth due to his unceremonious departure via trade

Matt Barnaby: fan favorite but not a very good dude

Miroslav Satan: extremely gifted goal scorer who was despised by many due to his style

Alexei Zhitnik: underrated Dman most known for his penchant for delivering slap shots 10 feet wide of the net

Jason Wooley: not much bad to say, scored historical goal in SCF 

Richard Smehlik: universally hated player by most fans

Wayne Primeau: Not Keith 

Rob Ray: our lovable punching bag, if he hadn't learned the jersey gimmick, he may have lost every fight he participated in

Jay McKee: shin pads

That's the 90's players, I'll post about the 2000's players on my lunch

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Derek Plante: notable wuss most remembered (by me) for getting cold cocked by Brad May during a scrum in front of the net

Michael Peca: favorite Sabre player ever.  Bad taste in mouth due to his unceremonious departure via trade

Miroslav Satan: extremely gifted goal scorer who was despised by many due to his style

Alexei Zhitnik: underrated Dman most known for his penchant for delivering slap shots 10 feet wide of the net

Rob Ray: our lovable punching bag, if he hadn't learned the jersey gimmick, he may have lost every fight he participated in

No love for Varada or Sanderson?

2000's Goat head players:

JP Dumont: slick goal scorer, fans wanted more but he was a good player

Stu Barnes: gritty captain

Chris Gratton: never lived up to his draft position, got us Danny Briere

Doug Gilmour: hated Buffalo more than. Tom Brady

Max Afinogenov: wonderful end to end rushes resulting with the puck trickling of into the corner with no scoring chance to show for it 

Curtis Brown: very solid 2 way player never really appreciated in Buffalo

Eric Rasmussen: built like Tarzan, played like Jane

Vaclav Varada: a personal favorite with a very non distinguished Sabres tenure

Dimitri Kalinen: another one of the 06 injuries

Rhett Warrener: got every ounce of ability out of him 

Hasek: aloof superstar who alienated coaches, teammates and generally wasn't liked by anyone that got to known him. Best known for choking out a fat reporter 

Tim Connolly: never stay healthy, what could have been

Taylor Pyatt: along with TC, had the unfortunate circumstance of being acquired for Mike Peca

Slava Kozlov: ugh, made Gilmour look like Fred Jackson 

Ales Kotalik: one timer and penalty shot savant, was more interested in going to da club than playing hockey

Jochen Hecht: despised by fans as Lindy insisted on playing him at center most likely due to Danny Breire's non-existent defense

Danny Breire: root of the famous 5x5 contract lore, slippery player who looked like he was 14 years old

James Patrick: he was awesome in NHL 94

Marty Biron: good for a quote, just an above average goalie

Mikka Noronnen: below average NHL goalie

Andrew Peters: brought a new level of boring to NHL fighting 

Ryan Miller: Mr Softy, also famous for the Ryan Miller shutout which is allowing a cheap goal in the waning minutes of a given game

Jason Botterill: ?

Chris Drury: noted grump who hated everything not NYC 

Jason Pominville: hard to critique

Thomas Vanek: not hard to critique

Derek Roy: sausage grabber

Brian Campbell: most famous for causing RJ Umberger brain damage

Mike Grier: all D no O

Henrik Tallinder: most noted for changing how we should pronounce his name a decade into his career

Toni Lydman: see above

Paul Gaustad: traded for a 1st round pick

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Andrew Peters: brought a new level of boring to NHL fighting 

Ryan Miller: Mr Softy, also famous for the Ryan Miller shutout which is allowing a cheap goal in the waning minutes of a given game

Great one sentence description of Peters.  ?

Don’t forget about Millsie’s “WTF Wave” that he did every time a goal was scored and he was screened...or at least he made it seem that way . ?

Edited by LabattBlue

10 hours ago, inkman said:

Hardest working team in hockey that year, by a mile

On 8/11/2020 at 6:34 PM, Huckleberry said:

Well they wore it when I started being a fan in 2000 , I still love it and didn' tknow about the royal blue shirts until I got pointed out on them here.

Give me some goathead 3rd jersey please ?

I'm a lot older than you apparently...I have faint memories of Sabres games around 1980....as a kid I became a big fan in the middle 1980s....so I was introduced to Royal Blue for a long time before the red and black. BUT, I really like the red and black. I'd be all for bringing that back for at least a 3rd jersey.

40 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm a lot older than you apparently...I have faint memories of Sabres games around 1980....as a kid I became a big fan in the middle 1980s....so I was introduced to Royal Blue for a long time before the red and black. BUT, I really like the red and black. I'd be all for bringing that back for at least a 3rd jersey.

They couldn't have a black 3rd as black isn't in the logo anywhere nor on the base unis themselves.  Though they could have a red 3rd courtesy of the buffalo's eye.  

More likely, either there would be a blue & gold goathead 3rd (similar to avatar <--) or a b&r throwback.  (Throwbacks don't have to be in current team colors as the Canucks continually demonstrate.)

12 hours ago, Taro T said:

They couldn't have a black 3rd as black isn't in the logo anywhere nor on the base unis themselves.  Though they could have a red 3rd courtesy of the buffalo's eye.  

More likely, either there would be a blue & gold goathead 3rd (similar to avatar <--) or a b&r throwback.  (Throwbacks don't have to be in current team colors as the Canucks continually demonstrate.)

I thought there was an exception that the team could wear a previous jersey as-is? 

1 minute ago, MattPie said:

I thought there was an exception that the team could wear a previous jersey as-is? 

Correct.  That would be the b(lack) & r(ed) throwback.  

Tried to make that clear with the aside: (t)hrowbacks don't have to be in current team colors as the Canucks continually demonstrate.

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Correct.  That would be the b(lack) & r(ed) throwback.  

Tried to make that clear with the aside: (t)hrowbacks don't have to be in current team colors as the Canucks continually demonstrate.

So what's the difference functionaly between a 3rd and a throwback? 

That is incorrect. There are no color rules that apply to the third jersey or throwback programs. If the Canucks wanted to wear the black skate as 3rd jersey, they can.

A third jersey has a three year 15 games a year commitment.

A throwback or anniversary jersey is a one year commitment with number of games ranging from 1-?  Depending on what the team negotiates with the league. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LouBrawls said:

That is incorrect. There are no color rules that apply to the third jersey or throwback programs. If the Canucks wanted to wear the black skate as 3rd jersey, they can.

A third jersey has a three year 15 games a year commitment.

A throwback or anniversary jersey is a one year commitment with number of games ranging from 1-?  Depending on what the team negotiates with the league. 

If that is the case, the rule has been changed.  Any idea when it changed?  Was it with the new Adidas contract and reintroduction of 3rds after Adidas' 1st season w/ the NHL?

The way the rules were through at least the '90's & the '00's, ALL 3rds had to be in the colors of the logos &/or the primary sweaters.  Teams could change shading a smidge, but they couldn't go completely outside their existing color palate.   If the rule has been changed, would be really interested in seeing what it now is.  (Couldn't find links to the current standards; would appreciate seeing them if you do have a link.  And wasted WAY too much time trying to find them.)

And a 3rd uni being in the current colors does not rule out the 'Nucks wearing the skate sweaters in black, red, & gold as those are "vintage" or "alternate" unis which don't follow the same guidelines as 3rds do.

Lastly, though you say there's no color requirements, ottomh can't come up with a single "3rd" that was a different color from those used in the current unis/logos.  Do you know of any that violated what had been that rule?  Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

If that is the case, the rule has been changed.  Any idea when it changed?  Was it with the new Adidas contract and reintroduction of 3rds after Adidas' 1st season w/ the NHL?

The way the rules were through at least the '90's & the '00's, ALL 3rds had to be in the colors of the logos &/or the primary sweaters.  Teams could change shading a smidge, but they couldn't go completely outside their existing color palate.   If the rule has been changed, would be really interested in seeing what it now is.  (Couldn't find links to the current standards; would appreciate seeing them if you do have a link.  And wasted WAY too much time trying to find them.)

And a 3rd uni being in the current colors does not rule out the 'Nucks wearing the skate sweaters in black, red, & gold as those are "vintage" or "alternate" unis which don't follow the same guidelines as 3rds do.

Lastly, though you say there's no color requirements, ottomh can't come up with a single "3rd" that was a different color from those used in the current unis/logos.  Do you know of any that violated what had been that rule?  Thanks.

I like the old rule because it gave a team like Chicago so many options thanks to the feathers in their logo.  Anaheim and Atlanta were really the only ones I can think of who took advantage of that.  I use the term "advantage" very loosely though because Atlanta's stuff wasn't very good and Anaheim's orange has been an assault on the eyes.,

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Rangers' navy thirds were a stretch, as the blue was nowhere near their regular uniforms' blue.  Colorado appeared to be the same, but they have a few tiny splashed of navy on their regular uniforms.

The biggest exception that I could find were the Islanders' black thirds (2011-14 and 2015-17.)  I couldn't find black anywhere on their usual set.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, carpandean said:

Rangers' navy thirds were a stretch, as the blue was nowhere near their regular uniforms' blue.  Colorado appeared to be the same, but they have a few tiny splashed of navy on their regular uniforms.

The biggest exception that I could find were the Islanders' black thirds (2011-14 and 2015-17.)  I couldn't find black anywhere on their usual set.

Interesting.  Wonder if the Aisles used the loophole of black & silver/gray being on those sweaters in the NHL shield?

Definitely agree the Rags threads were a stretch, but in the NHL certain animals have always been more equal than others.

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

This isn't something that you're going to find online or in the board of governor bylaws, it just is what it is. They are unwritten "rules" but nonetheless, the guidelines by the league dictates the usage of thirds, and specialty jerseys. As far as I've ever know, there has never been a "rule" about colors having to be something in a teams current color palette. I think it's a misconception they couldn't because teams just always defaulted to the unused color in their palette for thirds. Red or gold for Sabres, Black for Philly, Red for Wild, Orange for Ducks etc...   

That's correct about the 'Nucks.  

The Rangers used navy for the Liberty and that wasn't a color they'd ever worn or in their stylesheets at the time.  Panthers had the powder blue 3rd for a while. Toronto with their St. Pats jerseys.

6 minutes ago, LouBrawls said:

This isn't something that you're going to find online or in the board of governor bylaws, it just is what it is. They are unwritten "rules" but nonetheless, the guidelines by the league dictates the usage of thirds, and specialty jerseys. As far as I've ever know, there has never been a "rule" about colors having to be something in a teams current color palette. I think it's a misconception they couldn't because teams just always defaulted to the unused color in their palette for thirds. Red or gold for Sabres, Black for Philly, Red for Wild, Orange for Ducks etc...   

That's correct about the 'Nucks.  

The Rangers used navy for the Liberty and that wasn't a color they'd ever worn or in their stylesheets at the time.  Panthers had the powder blue 3rd for a while. Toronto with their St. Pats jerseys.

The St. Pats are as "vintage" as vintage gets.

And would guess the powder blue in the Swamp Cats trim fit in under both being a shade of blue & the exact shade of blue from their season opening European Series but maybe that was when they started loosening the rules.  (The patches are part of the uniform.)

• Like (+1) 1

There are no “loopholes” because there are no rules that a team can’t use a color that isn’t in their palette. The Islanders first use of black third jersey was literally just black for black sake. There was no reason for it. Their second black jersey, black and white one was because they moved to Barclays Center and they did a Brooklyn inspired/nets jersey. It has nothing to do with the NHL shield colors.  Same goes for the Panthers using powder blue, it did not come from the European patch. There’s no way a team can have a jersey ready that quick because of a patch they wore in the first game of the year. But if you’re looking for examples of teams wearing a color that is not in their style sheet, then the Rangers navy liberty is the prime example.Also to someone else’s point, Colorado has never had navy in their uniform, Until they unveiled a navy third jersey.  Yes some of these are extensions colors, so the Rangers using navy, yes it’s in the blue family. So in that way it’s a safe, it’s not going to alienate their fans because it’s still somewhat familiar. Unlike the Islanders who came out with a black jersey and everyone was like what the hell is that?

If the Chicago Blackhawks wanted to come out with a pink jersey they could absolutely do it, there is no rule against it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.