Jump to content

New Royal Blue Jerseys To Debut August 11, 9am


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

If that is the case, the rule has been changed.  Any idea when it changed?  Was it with the new Adidas contract and reintroduction of 3rds after Adidas' 1st season w/ the NHL?

The way the rules were through at least the '90's & the '00's, ALL 3rds had to be in the colors of the logos &/or the primary sweaters.  Teams could change shading a smidge, but they couldn't go completely outside their existing color palate.   If the rule has been changed, would be really interested in seeing what it now is.  (Couldn't find links to the current standards; would appreciate seeing them if you do have a link.  And wasted WAY too much time trying to find them.)

And a 3rd uni being in the current colors does not rule out the 'Nucks wearing the skate sweaters in black, red, & gold as those are "vintage" or "alternate" unis which don't follow the same guidelines as 3rds do.

Lastly, though you say there's no color requirements, ottomh can't come up with a single "3rd" that was a different color from those used in the current unis/logos.  Do you know of any that violated what had been that rule?  Thanks.

I like the old rule because it gave a team like Chicago so many options thanks to the feathers in their logo.  Anaheim and Atlanta were really the only ones I can think of who took advantage of that.  I use the term "advantage" very loosely though because Atlanta's stuff wasn't very good and Anaheim's orange has been an assault on the eyes.,

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Lastly, though you say there's no color requirements, ottomh can't come up with a single "3rd" that was a different color from those used in the current unis/logos.  Do you know of any that violated what had been that rule?  Thanks.

Rangers' navy thirds were a stretch, as the blue was nowhere near their regular uniforms' blue.  Colorado appeared to be the same, but they have a few tiny splashed of navy on their regular uniforms.

The biggest exception that I could find were the Islanders' black thirds (2011-14 and 2015-17.)  I couldn't find black anywhere on their usual set.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, carpandean said:

Rangers' navy thirds were a stretch, as the blue was nowhere near their regular uniforms' blue.  Colorado appeared to be the same, but they have a few tiny splashed of navy on their regular uniforms.

The biggest exception that I could find were the Islanders' black thirds (2011-14 and 2015-17.)  I couldn't find black anywhere on their usual set.

Interesting.  Wonder if the Aisles used the loophole of black & silver/gray being on those sweaters in the NHL shield?

Definitely agree the Rags threads were a stretch, but in the NHL certain animals have always been more equal than others.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Taro T said:

If that is the case, the rule has been changed.  Any idea when it changed?  Was it with the new Adidas contract and reintroduction of 3rds after Adidas' 1st season w/ the NHL?

The way the rules were through at least the '90's & the '00's, ALL 3rds had to be in the colors of the logos &/or the primary sweaters.  Teams could change shading a smidge, but they couldn't go completely outside their existing color palate.   If the rule has been changed, would be really interested in seeing what it now is.  (Couldn't find links to the current standards; would appreciate seeing them if you do have a link.  And wasted WAY too much time trying to find them.)

And a 3rd uni being in the current colors does not rule out the 'Nucks wearing the skate sweaters in black, red, & gold as those are "vintage" or "alternate" unis which don't follow the same guidelines as 3rds do.

Lastly, though you say there's no color requirements, ottomh can't come up with a single "3rd" that was a different color from those used in the current unis/logos.  Do you know of any that violated what had been that rule?  Thanks.

This isn't something that you're going to find online or in the board of governor bylaws, it just is what it is. They are unwritten "rules" but nonetheless, the guidelines by the league dictates the usage of thirds, and specialty jerseys. As far as I've ever know, there has never been a "rule" about colors having to be something in a teams current color palette. I think it's a misconception they couldn't because teams just always defaulted to the unused color in their palette for thirds. Red or gold for Sabres, Black for Philly, Red for Wild, Orange for Ducks etc...   

That's correct about the 'Nucks.  

The Rangers used navy for the Liberty and that wasn't a color they'd ever worn or in their stylesheets at the time.  Panthers had the powder blue 3rd for a while. Toronto with their St. Pats jerseys.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LouBrawls said:

This isn't something that you're going to find online or in the board of governor bylaws, it just is what it is. They are unwritten "rules" but nonetheless, the guidelines by the league dictates the usage of thirds, and specialty jerseys. As far as I've ever know, there has never been a "rule" about colors having to be something in a teams current color palette. I think it's a misconception they couldn't because teams just always defaulted to the unused color in their palette for thirds. Red or gold for Sabres, Black for Philly, Red for Wild, Orange for Ducks etc...   

That's correct about the 'Nucks.  

The Rangers used navy for the Liberty and that wasn't a color they'd ever worn or in their stylesheets at the time.  Panthers had the powder blue 3rd for a while. Toronto with their St. Pats jerseys.

The St. Pats are as "vintage" as vintage gets.

And would guess the powder blue in the Swamp Cats trim fit in under both being a shade of blue & the exact shade of blue from their season opening European Series but maybe that was when they started loosening the rules.  (The patches are part of the uniform.)

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There are no “loopholes” because there are no rules that a team can’t use a color that isn’t in their palette. The Islanders first use of black third jersey was literally just black for black sake. There was no reason for it. Their second black jersey, black and white one was because they moved to Barclays Center and they did a Brooklyn inspired/nets jersey. It has nothing to do with the NHL shield colors.  Same goes for the Panthers using powder blue, it did not come from the European patch. There’s no way a team can have a jersey ready that quick because of a patch they wore in the first game of the year. But if you’re looking for examples of teams wearing a color that is not in their style sheet, then the Rangers navy liberty is the prime example.Also to someone else’s point, Colorado has never had navy in their uniform, Until they unveiled a navy third jersey.  Yes some of these are extensions colors, so the Rangers using navy, yes it’s in the blue family. So in that way it’s a safe, it’s not going to alienate their fans because it’s still somewhat familiar. Unlike the Islanders who came out with a black jersey and everyone was like what the hell is that?

If the Chicago Blackhawks wanted to come out with a pink jersey they could absolutely do it, there is no rule against it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, LouBrawls said:

There are no “loopholes” because there are no rules that a team can’t use a color that isn’t in their palette. The Islanders first use of black third jersey was literally just black for black sake. There was no reason for it. Their second black jersey, black and white one was because they moved to Barclays Center and they did a Brooklyn inspired/nets jersey. It has nothing to do with the NHL shield colors.  Same goes for the Panthers using powder blue, it did not come from the European patch. There’s no way a team can have a jersey ready that quick because of a patch they wore in the first game of the year. But if you’re looking for examples of teams wearing a color that is not in their style sheet, then the Rangers navy liberty is the prime example.Also to someone else’s point, Colorado has never had navy in their uniform, Until they unveiled a navy third jersey.  Yes some of these are extensions colors, so the Rangers using navy, yes it’s in the blue family. So in that way it’s a safe, it’s not going to alienate their fans because it’s still somewhat familiar. Unlike the Islanders who came out with a black jersey and everyone was like what the hell is that?

If the Chicago Blackhawks wanted to come out with a pink jersey they could absolutely do it, there is no rule against it.

No, the league won't let them do a pink one in a game.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do you think it would be not allowed? Because it’s pink or because it’s not in the teams color palette?  If a team has a valid reason, story and purpose for doing that, the NHL will support it. And ultimately teams can do what they want, the NHL can’t tell them no you can’t wear pink (or whatever color it might be). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LouBrawls said:

Why do you think it would be not allowed? Because it’s pink or because it’s not in the teams color palette?  If a team has a valid reason, story and purpose for doing that, the NHL will support it. And ultimately teams can do what they want, the NHL can’t tell them no you can’t wear pink (or whatever color it might be). 

The NHL has allowed them for breast cancer and other health-awareness type things.  If the Sabres came up with a charity jersey for the United Way or Roswell Park Cancer Institute, my gut feeling is that the NHL would let it happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

The NHL has allowed them for breast cancer and other health-awareness type things.  If the Sabres came up with a charity jersey for the United Way or Roswell Park Cancer Institute, my gut feeling is that the NHL would let it happen.

Were those pink jerseys actually worn in any games though or was it just during warmups?  I know I've seen them, just not sure where.

And on another note, a few college teams did pink jersey games, probably about 10 years ago at this point.  They were absolutely hideous.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, shrader said:

Were those pink jerseys actually worn in any games though or was it just during warmups?  I know I've seen them, just not sure where.

And on another note, a few college teams did pink jersey games, probably about 10 years ago at this point.  They were absolutely hideous.

I believe they have been worn in preseason games, but I would not want to be held to that.

I think anything pink, particularly alligator shirts, is hideous -- especially when it is Pepto-Bismol pink.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, shrader said:

They were absolutely hideous.

 No way they were any worse than these game worn jerseys. People actually bid on these and I still have to look at them when they’re worn to a game.

CDE4F184-0050-4F04-8FE6-43390E23D494.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

They’ve also worn pink. I thought that was one of the better looks. 

8BDFE6DD-8695-4258-BCAC-4DC8B0CEE037.jpeg

St. Patty’s, military appreciation....

The problem with the special jerseys is wearing them with the regular pants, gloves and hats.

 

83212FA0-C797-459F-B649-8209DF547B4A.jpeg

E356DE1C-A8C2-4C13-979A-0B39FAB0DAC3.jpeg

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...