Trade: Wayne Simmonds to Sabres for a Conditional 2021 5th

Brawndo

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

This is a good safe play. Good player, tough and has scored in the past. I hope we don't give away prospects unless we get a starting goalie (to share time with Leenus)  in the deal 

He's not a good player anymore.  I always liked him historically, but he'll be 32 when next season starts (if he's still on the team) and his best years are way behind him.

He's currently one of the worst penalty differential players in the league and we have a horrible PK!

He is also a net negative below replacement level player right now.

This is a nothing move that does nothing to improve the long term make up of the team. 

Mistake to be buying at this deadline.

Edited by Kruppstahl

Just now, Kruppstahl said:

He's not a good player anymore.  I always liked him historically, but he'll be 32 when next season starts (if he's still on the team) and his best years are way behind him.

He's currently one of the worst penalty differential players in the league and we have a horrible PK!

He also a net negative below replacement level player right now.

This is a nothing move that does nothing to improve the long term make up of the team. 

He better not be taking penalties! 

5 minutes ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

This is just JNot's way of apologising for not buying last year.  The potential good news is that it looks like JNot may be acknowledging the team's overall softness.  Maybe.

Umm, he actually did buy last year at the deadline.  He got Montour.  Which actually was a bigger/better buy than that from this morning's shopping trip. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They are old?

1 minute ago, ... said:

Maybe they're not perceived as helpers for the PK and PP?

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

They are bad 

Exactly my thoughts. So it’s really a good thing the Sabres (or 30 other teams) didn’t get them. They are both spent. I know some want to have a feel good moment with those two, but it’s best we avoid those two slugs.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Taro T said:

Umm, he actually did buy last year at the deadline.  He got Montour.  Which actually was a bigger/better buy than that from this morning's shopping trip. 

I stand corrected.

I thought of that as more of a "hold", but yeah, you're right.

15 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

He also a net negative below replacement level player right now.

It's not like he bought a new SUV, it's more like he took the old sedan out for an oil change and a wash.  I wouldn't worry about it.

Let's see how the guy plays the remaining 20 games.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, eman said:

I think we may be pleasantly surprised at Simmonds contribution (especially in front of the opposing net) I'll be surprised if he doesn't help this club out in the remaining 20 games.

Yep.  Now Risto doesn't have to play that role on the PP.

2 minutes ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

So you think grit and toughness are meaningless too? Who's alot of people? Who says he's bad at hockey? You?

I didn't say that I think that. They are incredibly meaningless if brought in via bad players, like Jordan Nolan as a recent example. 

And yes, he's bad at hockey. He was traded for a 5th rounder 2 drafts from now lol. Last year he was traded for a first at the same time, that's how bad he's been since. He was healthy scratched by the team that paid a first for him, and put up 3 points in 19 games for a team that got smoked in the first round in the games that he wasn't healthy-scratched. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

3 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Tyler Ennis for a 5th > Corpse of Wayne Simmonds for a 5th

Depends on the acquiring team. Our team has enough perimeter players (Sheary, ERod, Reino). Simmonds will go do some heavy lifting and crashing the net. Young Ennis before his concussion troubles was around the net, but those are days long gone.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.