Trade: Wayne Simmonds to Sabres for a Conditional 2021 5th

Brawndo

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Which is why the expectation is the 2nd line gets upgraded in the off-season.  But, if he were to surprise and make a big move, it would have to be a RHD getting traded.  None of the available F's brings back anything better than a Simmonds.  And nobody is trading for Hutton, Johansson, nor Hammond.

I wouldn't say that, the Leafs were able to get something for Hutchinson, and All 3 of those goalies are an upgrade over him.....

Acquire someone who can be more creative than a bust in Lazar playing off position and Johansson.  Don't you see that we're not going anywhere with just Jack Eichel.  Are you this inept to add a former good player who yes has more points than half of our roster, which says more about your pathetic excuse as a general manager than anything, when you WON'T SACK UP and acquire even someone semi competent down the middle.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

I wouldn't say that, the Leafs were able to get something for Hutchinson, and All 3 of those goalies are an upgrade over him.....

A smidge hyperbolic on the goalies, but really can't see anybody wanting any bad enough to get Botterill to pull the trigger.

Just now, TheCerebral1 said:

Acquire someone who can be more creative than a bust in Lazar playing off position and Johansson.  Don't you see that we're not going anywhere with just Jack Eichel.  Are you this inept to add a former good player who yes has more points than half of our roster, which says more about your pathetic excuse as a general manager than anything, when you WON'T SACK UP and acquire even someone semi competent down the middle.  

I don't like Jason. 

But it's not his fault if a reasonable long-term center solution doesn't happen today. Teams don't like doing that right now. They are far more willing to do things like that in the summer. If he goes into next year without a solid center core, then I'll join your fury. 

• Like (+1) 1

Keep Johansson, waive Hammond, buyout Hutton.  Claim whomever is put on waivers for a roster spot this afternoon.  Problem solved.  Hutton is another cheap fix that didn't work.  I was one who was hopeful when we got him on the cheap, but he is garbage. 

1 minute ago, LTS said:

Interesting discussion of flipping Simmonds can Sabres retain another 50%?

i wonder if they try to get their 3rd back from Carolina... 

They would need to add and use him as a throw in cause no way someone is giving the Sabres a 3rd for a guy they just got for a 5th because they retained a little bit more salary....

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

I don't like Jason. 

But it's not his fault if a reasonable long-term center solution doesn't happen today. Teams don't like doing that right now. They are far more willing to do things like that in the summer. If he goes into next year without a solid center core, then I'll join your fury. 

You still can likely get someone who is an upgrade over what we have, which is literally NOTHING.  Mittelstadt needs the year to get his mojo back, and work on his ability.   That's fine, however, there have been way too many quick fixes on this god damned team. 

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

They would need to add and use him as a throw in cause no way someone is giving the Sabres a 3rd for a guy they just got for a 5th because they retained a little bit more salary....

Yes.. two separate thoughts in there.  

I didn’t mean he would flip Simmonds for the 3rd pick back.

Edited by LTS

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

A smidge hyperbolic on the goalies, but really can't see anybody wanting any bad enough to get Botterill to pull the trigger.

Not really, Hutch was horrible, much worse then those 3 this season. So bad that the Leafs had to bring someone else in or risk playing Anderson every game or take a loss.

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

I don't like Jason. 

Good point. You'd have to find a seller (OTT) and do the sign and trade like Pageau. But a 1st and 2nd, with a conditional 3rd is a high a price for JPP. That big C is an offseason move in most accounts.

1 minute ago, TheCerebral1 said:

You still can likely get someone who is an upgrade over what we have, which is literally NOTHING.  Mittelstadt needs the year to get his mojo back, and work on his ability.   That's fine, however, there have been way too many quick fixes on this god damned team. 

Sure, you could beat the Islanders' offer for Pageau, but that would be ridiculous. Otherwise, what centers are upgrades over even Johansson, who I surely don't want playing center? I understand that Trocheck got moved, but there are enough red flags with him that I'm comfortable not making that deal. Haula would have been nice to sign last offseason, but he's a UFA. Giving up huge assets for a UFA is what we should not be doing right now. 

Trocheck is the only C with term that has moved 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Jerry Jabber said:

This move leads me to wonder if Botterill is planning to trade someone and Simmonds is their replacement?

Well, unless at least 2 F's are moved out, by bringing in Simmonds whoever the 13th F is, he will be a legit bottom 6 NHLer.

Almost positive Rodrigues gets shipped out.  Jury's out on Sheary.  Doubt anybody else up front goes out tye door.

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Sure, you could beat the Islanders' offer for Pageau, but that would be ridiculous. Otherwise, what centers are upgrades over even Johansson, who I surely don't want playing center? I understand that Trocheck got moved, but there are enough red flags with him that I'm comfortable not making that deal. Haula would have been nice to sign last offseason, but he's a UFA. Giving up huge assets for a UFA is what we should not be doing right now. 

Trocheck is the only C with term that has moved 

I'm assuming a guy like Turris who has decent return, can be had for a slightly cheaper cost even possibly with some slight retention.  I am that desperate for someone who can create.  Haula would have been the ideal guy. 

Edited by TheCerebral1

4 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:

Casey needs more than a another year IMHO.  That said, too much of JBOT's work has been "patches" vs. repaving the whole road.  In the end, we get an ugly, bumpy, non-cohesive  result that nobody wants to be part of.

Patches.PNG

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.