Trade: Wayne Simmonds to Sabres for a Conditional 2021 5th

Brawndo

16 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Olofsson - Eichel - Reinhart

Skinner - 2C - Johansson/ Thompson / Kahun

Kahun - Mittelstadt / Johansson - Cozens / Thompson

Girgensons - Larsson - Okposo

Spare Lazar / Asplund

This doesn't even have Vesey coming back though Krueger trusts him and he'll be relatively cheap.  Could truly see Botterill only trade for a 2C and sign a FA goalie this off-season.  Could also see that being enough if they're both the right guys.

I can see resigning Vesey then trying to package him for something. Then again maybe he stays. In a couple years Cozens fills the 2C and Mitts at 3C. Whoever we get for the immediate 2C is likely for two or three years. Just my guess. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SABRES 0311 said:

I can see resigning Vesey then trying to package him for something. Then again maybe he stays. In a couple years Cozens fills the 2C and Mitts at 3C. Whoever we get for the immediate 2C is likely for two or three years. Just my guess. 

They should definitely plan on needing the 2C they trade for for 2-3 seasons.  He can slide down the food chain as/if Mittelstadt and Cozens prove they're ready to step into expanded roles. 

• Like (+1) 2

If it falls in the 10-20 range, I'm definitely flipping our top pick in the draft for our 2C, maybe even a little higher if the returning player is good enough.

Think Jeff Carter, Ryan O'Reilly, Brayden Schenn, Derek Stepan, JT Miller, Duchene (twice), Bobby Ryan, Ryan Kesler, Rick Nash, Jordan Staal...all acquired with a #1 as the best piece coming back. One of those trades happen every year and one will probably be available to us.

A lineup with Jack/Sam, Jeff/2C, Mojo/Kahuna and Larry/Girgs (if they resign) as the bedrock of each line should be good.

VO gets a top 6 spot, KO a bottom 6, Lazar gets the F13 spot

That leaves Asplund, Casey, Cozens, and Thompson battling a UFA signing for the final roster spots: likely the F6 and F9.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I don't expect Vesey to resign with Buffalo.  Whether we like him or not, I would be shocked if he wants to be back next year.

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

If it falls in the 10-20 range, I'm definitely flipping our top pick in the draft for our 2C, maybe even a little higher if the returning player is good enough.

Think Jeff Carter, Ryan O'Reilly, Brayden Schenn, Derek Stepan, JT Miller, Duchene (twice), Bobby Ryan, Ryan Kesler, Rick Nash, Jordan Staal...all acquired with a #1 as the best piece coming back. One of those trades happen every year and one will probably be available to us.

A lineup with Jack/Sam, Jeff/2C, Mojo/Kahuna and Larry/Girgs (if they resign) as the bedrock of each line should be good.

VO gets a top 6 spot, KO a bottom 6, Lazar gets the F13 spot

That leaves Asplund, Casey, Cozens, and Thompson battling a UFA signing battling for the final roster spots: likely the F6 and F9.

I'd have to be talked out of moving a non top-2/3 pick for a bonafide 2C. The likelihood of the pick even amounting to a legitimate 2C is probably less than 50%, and even that would be in SEVERAL years. Our window is opening right away if not now (Jack is in his prime) - I'd want to make the move. 

And I'm not talking a Trochek "likely" 2C.  If we are getting a Carter/ROR type, it's definitely worth the pick in my eyes. 

• Like (+1) 1

I would try and trade first overall for a center. I would add to it to get an even better center, or a nice package from a team ready to blow it up. I would insist, call around, call around again. I'm not saying that deal is out there, but I'd try and find it. And as far as my willingness to trade goes, the difference between 3 and like 6 is basically zero for me.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

I'd have to be talked out of moving a non top-2/3 pick for a bonafide 2C. The likelihood of the pick even amounting to a legitimate 2C is probably less than 50%, and even that would be in SEVERAL years. Our window is opening right away if not now (Jack is in his prime) - I'd want to make the move. 

And I'm not talking a Trochek "likely" 2C.  If we are getting a Carter/ROR type, it's definitely worth the pick in my eyes. 

I don't see how anyone could argue against this.

25 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:

Watching the video of his interview now with Buffalo - I didn't know he waved a no trade clause to come here.  Sorry if it was said in this thread and I missed it but that meant something. 

Yea it was mentioned on Monday. He liked the fact that he’ll be “closer to home”. Probably the main reason.

54 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Yea it was mentioned on Monday. He liked the fact that he’ll be “closer to home”. Probably the main reason.

I'm excited to see this guy.  He's put up nice numbers over his career.  I'd extend him if he shows something.  We really need some toughness.  I'm surprised most are kind of eh on him.

Edited by 7+6=13

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.