Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

9 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Not to mention that Eichel/ Reinhart weren't top end talent yet when the others were here.

Buffao Sabres 2016-2017 roster

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000332017.html

Buffalo Sabres 2017-2018 roster

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000332018.html

Talent on thee roster, same results as the past 2 seasons. Sorry, but I don't see talent as the primary culprit here.

8 minutes ago, Curt said:

Good players don’t want to come play on terrible teams.  If Buffalo was good, plenty of players would like to join the team.

I would also add top management as well.  Whether it be GM or coaches, they may 'pass' on an opportunity in Buffalo.  It's not about the money either.  A proven coach can take his time waiting for the right situation vs. feeling pressure to take the first opening that comes.  Yes I know there are only so many NHL GM and HC jobs, but there is enough turnover that something will be worth waiting for.  Even though we have Jack and Dahlin, I don't know if that's enough.

31 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

I would also add top management as well.  Whether it be GM or coaches, they may 'pass' on an opportunity in Buffalo.  It's not about the money either.  A proven coach can take his time waiting for the right situation vs. feeling pressure to take the first opening that comes.  Yes I know there are only so many NHL GM and HC jobs, but there is enough turnover that something will be worth waiting for.  Even though we have Jack and Dahlin, I don't know if that's enough.

I don’t think any quality in demand coach would want to work with an incompetent like Botteril.  I suspect Krueger is having serious regrets about taking the job

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Good players don’t want to come play on terrible teams.  If Buffalo was good, plenty of players would like to join the team.

Curt, agree totally. I'm not saying there's something in Buffalo air contrary to playing hockey here. Having said that once you start being viewed negatively it's more difficult to become good. Players are attracted to good organizations as well. My concern we may being viewed as a "minor league" organization . Pegula I think is viewed as a nice person willing to invest heavily in this franchise. I am concerned he's also possibly viewed as not on top of it operationally.

9 hours ago, Radar said:

I'm becoming more and more worried that this franchise is becoming a place players shun. Hockey heaven may be more like hockey hell.

Becoming a place players shun ? I’ll bet players no trade lists are dominated by the sabres brand right across this league. And its not new. Everyone players and fans alike can see how incredibly incompetent this ownership and management is. If ownership keeps hiring the wrong people to lead the sabres out of the wilderness again and again we’ll never shake this bad mojo. At some point Pegulastplaceteam inc has to figure this mess out. 

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Question, would you trade this year's first plus say Pilut for one of the high firsts from last year that might be more ready... say Zegras or Turcotte?

Certain people around here would probably love Zegras' attitude after what he did monday night.  Caught on tv screaming "**** you" at the referee after an absolutely atrocious penalty call in OT?  Yeah, that will win some over, especially when paired with the timely goal scoring.

28 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Pierre Lebrun mentioned that the Canes might be willingly to include a first round pick in a hockey trade for defenseman, mentioned Montour and Risto as possible targets. I would rather trade them for Top 6 Forwards TBH 

Considering the pick will be in the 15-20 range, I'm not super excited to make that deal either but I don't really like either player so whatever. 

42 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Pierre Lebrun mentioned that the Canes might be willingly to include a first round pick in a hockey trade for defenseman, mentioned Montour and Risto as possible targets. I would rather trade them for Top 6 Forwards TBH 

12 minutes ago, inkman said:

Considering the pick will be in the 15-20 range, I'm not super excited to make that deal either but I don't really like either player so whatever. 

Enough with the draft picks.  Get players back in return.  I feel like I say this every year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Carolina 1st and one of Wallmark (C, 24 yrs old, RFA), Haula (C, 24 yrs old, UFA) or Gauthier (RW, 22 yrs old, 1yr left @ $863,333 ELC).

For Montour

Risto will cost more imo.

31 minutes ago, shrader said:

Brawndo's quote mentioned "hockey trade", so that implies to me that they'd be packaging the pick with a player.

Good point.

18 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Depends on the players.  Don't bring in any more bottom 6 nonsense. No more damaged goods. No more boat anchors on the cap.  Maybe we should re-phrase it as PRODUCTIVE players.  I don't know who Carolina has that we would be able to get for what we have available to trade. They also don't have tons of cap space and we have none so it would need to be close to money in money out.  I have to believe they would prefer Montour to Risto based on salary.  Montour makes 3.525M.  3.525 doesn't even get you Ryan Dzingel.  Would they trade you someone like Necas AND a 1st?  I kinda doubt it.  I doubt they'd even trade you Necas.

Haula is 28

Then they don't get a defenseman.  The Sabres don't need to be the league's bitch every February.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Depends on the players.  Don't bring in any more bottom 6 nonsense. No more damaged goods. No more boat anchors on the cap.  Maybe we should re-phrase it as PRODUCTIVE players.  I don't know who Carolina has that we would be able to get for what we have available to trade. They also don't have tons of cap space and we have none so it would need to be close to money in money out.  I have to believe they would prefer Montour to Risto based on salary.  Montour makes 3.525M.  3.525 doesn't even get you Ryan Dzingel.  Would they trade you someone like Necas AND a 1st?  I kinda doubt it.  I doubt they'd even trade you Necas.

Haula is 28

Good catch and thanks.

22 hours ago, freester said:

No evidence that Kane wasn’t going to resign here. He in fact stated he was hurt that no contract offer was made. 

Details, details!

Yeah, now that you mention that, I remember.

I doubt we acquire Skinner if we'd have kept Kane though.  But you never know.  If we had both of them *and* ROR?  Geez.  We'd be good.

On 2/11/2020 at 1:13 PM, Curt said:

That's a culture problem across all sports, not just the Sabres. All players want to play on a good team, but no one thinks they're good enough to make a crap team good. Are there no LeBron's in any other sports?

3 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

That's a culture problem across all sports, not just the Sabres. All players want to play on a good team, but no one thinks they're good enough to make a crap team good. Are there no LeBron's in any other sports?

I think it's a pretty normal thing for someone to want to go to a good job. 

2 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I think there are a few breeds of players out there

1. Players who want to be on good teams with other good players to make things a little easier to win

2. Players who think/know they are the best so they are willing to go anywhere because they can carry a team themselves

3. Players who are in it for the $$$ and go where the money is the highest.

4. Players who are just happy to be playing a game they love and will play anywhere just for the opportunity to play the game

1 & 3 are the large majority of Pro athletes, 2 & 4 are basically Yetis and Unicorns......

• Awesome! (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

LeBron could play 40+ minutes of a 48 minute game with 4 other players in the court. It's a lot easier to get 3 really good NBA players and win than to have a great 1 forward line that wins in the. Nhl

I want to see how bouncyball stats change if you put a tiny leprechaun up there on the rim who attempts to block shots.

2 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I don’t think it’s a problem.  I think it’s mostly just human nature.

An excellent basketball player has a much larger impact on their team than an excellent hockey player can, and it’s not even close.  So one or two excellent basketball players can go to a bad team and make it good.  A couple excellent hockey players can not have quite the same impact.

Edited by Curt

2 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Well, they will get a defenseman, they just won't get one of ours and we still won't have a draft pick or a forward either.

Fine.  And you're dreaming if you think the Sabs would actually get a meaningful player in a deadline trade.  It would be a draft pick and it would be a guy who plays in the AHL at best.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.