Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

44 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

So you are trading a roster player for a player 3-5 years away from NHL significance? We can't keep doing that. Keep Larsson but the rest of the UFA's I don't honestly care if this is what happens. 

A good GM that can evaluate forwards (Sakic) could manifest this collateral into something much faster.

also - read this on why it’s easy to move on from Girgs and Johan.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/clouducation.wordpress.com/2012/05/10/leadership-and-the-5-monkeys-parable/amp/

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Season's over. team has already quit. So get what you can for anybody. Keeping any UFA to the end of the year and getting nothing is just dumb.  

We don't have enough forwards in Buffalo and Rochester to trade all of Frolik, Girgensons, Larsson, Sheary, and Vesey for picks unless we want to see 10F-8D dressing in both Rochester and Buffalo.  Have a look at the forwards left once VO comes back and assuming Okposo does too:

Olofsson - Eichel - Reinhart; Skinner - Lazar - Johansson, Rodrigues - Asplund - Okposo, Wilson - Oglevie - Elie,

CJ Smith - Mittlestadt - D. Smith,  Murray - Malone - Cornel, Burton - Porter - Leier, Aquin - Rendell - ???

At that point, we are dipping into the 12 forwards in Cincinnati.

15 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I want larsson extended on a 5 year contract.

That would be unnecessary, even if you think he is great in a role of defensive stopper, which I agree that he is.  His value around the league is not going to be so high that he would get such term.  A 1-3 year contract is all he would command, I believe.  What if he is good for a couple more years but then his play falls off in years 3-5?  Then you have a guy who produces basically zero offense, and is also not getting it done on the defensive end, and you have him signed for 2-3 more years.

It’s just an unneeded risk for a player of his caliber.  Your not getting any real value for giving him term  He isn’t going to “break out” and make the contract look like a bargain.

2 hours ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

We don't have enough forwards in Buffalo and Rochester to trade all of Frolik, Girgensons, Larsson, Sheary, and Vesey for picks unless we want to see 10F-8D dressing in both Rochester and Buffalo.  Have a look at the forwards left once VO comes back and assuming Okposo does too:

Olofsson - Eichel - Reinhart; Skinner - Lazar - Johansson, Rodrigues - Asplund - Okposo, Wilson - Oglevie - Elie,

CJ Smith - Mittlestadt - D. Smith,  Murray - Malone - Cornel, Burton - Porter - Leier, Aquin - Rendell - ???

At that point, we are dipping into the 12 forwards in Cincinnati.

That is a non issue. You make trades where other teams throw in some garbage to placehold the season. there are bodies to be found all over.

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Season's over. team has already quit. So get what you can for anybody. Keeping any UFA to the end of the year and getting nothing is just dumb.  

Agree.  And Pommers can pitch in for the final 2 months on a vet minimum if needed.

https://theathletic.com/1586508/2020/02/06/a-look-at-some-of-the-sabres-ideal-trade-targets-heading-into-the-deadline/

Vogl tossed out an interesting idea... Strome from Chicago

Strome is a pass-first player. He’s averaging 1.58 assists per 60 minutes over the last two seasons, which ranks 20th in the NHL. He takes only 1.78 shots per game, making him the type of center who’d turn Skinner into the star of the line.

15 hours ago, Curt said:

That would be unnecessary, even if you think he is great in a role of defensive stopper, which I agree that he is.  His value around the league is not going to be so high that he would get such term.  A 1-3 year contract is all he would command, I believe.  What if he is good for a couple more years but then his play falls off in years 3-5?  Then you have a guy who produces basically zero offense, and is also not getting it done on the defensive end, and you have him signed for 2-3 more years.

It’s just an unneeded risk for a player of his caliber.  Your not getting any real value for giving him term  He isn’t going to “break out” and make the contract look like a bargain.

So 5 years at a rate that fall below threshold for what can be stashed in the minors.  I'm sure Johan will be interested in that.?

24 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He also threw Cirelli, Hertl, Kapanen, Gallagher, Laine and Kase into the mix.  Why not McDavid, John?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

Hertl?  I'd imagine that would have to be a huge "buy low" scenario coming off of the torn ACL/MCL combo.  How long is he out for?

According to Vogl, he may not be ready when training camp starts.

And he has a three-team no-trade clause that kicks in in July.  As in, once July comes, he gets to select only three teams to which he may be traded.

Frankly, I didn't think this was one of Vogl's better efforts.  If the article was "high-end players that the NHL might see moved at the deadline," maybe.  But the Sabres?  Yeah, Cirelli's really coming here.  (Prove me wrong, Botterill, prove me wrong!)

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

I thought he was reaching on some. Cirelli will sadly never be a Sabre. Botterill doesn't have the ability to pull that off. As for some of the rest mentioned I skimmed them thinking, never going to happen. 

However Strome, that is an idea I would be curious about. 

Chicago is only interesting to me in the context of "how can Buffalo take advantage of their cap issues" in the off season. I'm not sure I want to use our cap space to take a bad contract, but if it gets us a good player as well...

Both their goalies are UFAs....

Edited by darksabre

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I thought he was reaching on some. Cirelli will sadly never be a Sabre. Botterill doesn't have the ability to pull that off. As for some of the rest mentioned I skimmed them thinking, never going to happen. 

However Strome, that is an idea I would be curious about. 

Again though why is Chicago moving Strome?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Chicago is only interesting to me in the context of "how can Buffalo take advantage of their cap issues" in the off season. I'm not sure I want to use our cap space to take a bad contract, but if it gets us a good player as well...

Both their goalies are UFAs....

With Dach now in Chicago they may be willing to move Strome instead of paying him. They could use a right D.

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Again though why is Chicago moving Strome?

money and depth on defense

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

I don't think Chicago would give him up. They traded for him to play with DeBrincat

They have ten million in cap space next season, sixteen million if Seabrook goes to LTIR. 

Lehner and Crawford are both UFAs, Lehner gets six million of that probably. 

So they would in theory have 10-12 Million in space to sign Kubalik, Cagguila and Strome. Plus they would need to two defenseman and a backup goaltender. 

So moving Strome might be a possibility this offseason. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

They have ten million in cap space next season, sixteen million if Seabrook goes to LTIR. 

Lehner and Crawford are both UFAs, Lehner gets six million of that probably. 

So they would in theory have 10-12 Million in space to sign Kubalik, Cagguila and Strome. Plus they would need to two defenseman and a backup goaltender. 

So moving Strome might be a possibility this offseason. 

With Dach and Toews their #1 and #2 center, I think they might say, hey let's not give Strome the 4mil or whatever he wants but instead use that money on a defender. Just a thought about the logical nature of it. Depends on Dach and there feelings of their blueline. 

17 hours ago, Curt said:

I don't this take is going to look very good on July 1st

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.