Wonder what the NHL thinks of the state of its franchise in Buffalo

PASabreFan

Now, I didn't like the idea that the NHL was helping the Pegulas with their GM search when they ended up hiring Botterill. That said, I would expect the NHL to be very interested in the continuing train derailment in Western New York and to maybe have a thing or two to say to the owners. The league has to be nervous that a breaking/tipping point might be coming for a franchise that's very important to the league. If that thing or two includes a strong suggestion that you need an experienced hockey guy at the top of the organization chart, and, Terry, it can't be you, I'm all for it.

Edited by PASabreFan

I don’t think anyone from the league sets ultimatums for owners, the commissioner works for the owners after all.

However, I could honestly see Terry asking people within the league for suggestions and being advised that getting an experienced President of Hockey Ops may be helpful.  I wouldn’t be opposed to it.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Curt said:

We are talking about the League Office, not the other teams’ GMs.

Well, St. Louis winning a cup certainly has the league all smiles given the length of time it took there, and ROR was undeniably the catalyst for that venture to occur. As I said, I'm 100% positive warm fuzzy feelings everywhere, including NHL HQ that Botterill is Buffalo........

3 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Well, St. Louis winning a cup certainly has the league all smiles given the length of time it took there, and ROR was undeniably the catalyst for that venture to occur. As I said, I'm 100% positive warm fuzzy feelings everywhere, including NHL HQ that Botterill is Buffalo........

I don’t think the NHL wants any team to completely suck for a decade straight.  It’s bad for business.  They want parity, with every fan base excited that their team has a shot at the playoffs every year, so they buy tickets, buy merchandise, buy streaming services.............

Why would the NHL be feeling warm and fuzzy that Buffalo hockey fans are at their wits end?

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

I don’t think the NHL wants any team to completely suck for a decade straight.  It’s bad for business.  They want parity, with every fan base excited that their team has a shot at the playoffs every year, so they buy tickets, buy merchandise, buy streaming services.............

Why would the NHL be feeling warm and fuzzy that Buffalo hockey fans are at their wits end?

Because they don't give a hoot about Buffalo fans. We are one of the smallest markets in the league, they could literally care less about this region, regardless of TV viewer ship. They don't care. This region was once just over 3 million people, it isn't now, not even close. We fans have 0 pull here in the Buffalo region when it comes to the NHL.

5 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Because they don't give a hoot about Buffalo fans. We are one of the smallest markets in the league, they could literally care less about this region, regardless of TV viewer ship. They don't care. This region was once just over 3 million people, it isn't now, not even close. We fans have 0 pull here in the Buffalo region when it comes to the NHL.

Disagree.  They want everyone to make money.  It’s a business with 32 franchise locations.  They don’t want one of their 32 locations to go into a downward spiral into oblivion.  It will cost them money.

Its like saying that McDonalds doesn’t care about the restaurants in Buffalo because restaurants in some other locations have more customers.  They want to make more money everywhere!  At all of their locations!

Just now, Curt said:

Disagree.  They want everyone to make money.  It’s a business with 32 franchise locations.  They don’t want one of their 32 locations to go into a downward spiral into oblivion.  It will cost them money.

Its like saying that McDonalds doesn’t care about the restaurants in Buffalo because restaurants in some other locations have more customers.  They want to make more money everywhere!  At all of their locations!

Oh I didn't say the franchise didn't make money, it does, primarily through revenue share, but merchandise and ticket sales play a role as well. And in case you hadn't noticed, ticket sales and ticket re-sales, they're down, merchandise, well, even I bought an Eichel 50th. But here is the thing, I was going to buy 7 of them this year, 6 players and one custom 50th for my future "Hall of Swords" man cave in the new house the Mrs. and I are having built. I didn't. Those 6 Jersey's that they didn't sell to me due to their performance, that's "lost revenue". Now, how many fans do you think have already, are now or are going to take my course of action due to, "Performance"?

50 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Like someone before me said, we don’t need an “expierienced” guy, we need the “right” guy.

+1 on this.  

Experience is just one method to learn wisdom, as the saying goes. You also have imitation, the easiest, reflection, the most noble.   But don’t discount experience, which does have value, and serves as the most bitter to obtain.  

4 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Oh I didn't say the franchise didn't make money, it does, primarily through revenue share, but merchandise and ticket sales play a role as well. And in case you hadn't noticed, ticket sales and ticket re-sales, they're down, merchandise, well, even I bought an Eichel 50th. But here is the thing, I was going to buy 7 of them this year, 6 players and one custom 50th for my future "Hall of Swords" man cave in the new house the Mrs. and I are having built. I didn't. Those 6 Jersey's that they didn't sell to me due to their performance, that's "lost revenue". Now, how many fans do you think have already, are now or are going to take my course of action due to, "Performance"?

The things you are saying here make it sound like you are agreeing with me, but you are phrasing it in a way that says you disagree.

What are you arguing?  The Buffalo Sabres are making less money and you think the league is all smiles about that?

1 minute ago, Curt said:

The things you are saying here make it sound like you are agreeing with me, but you are phrasing it in a way that says you disagree.

What are you arguing?  The Buffalo Sabres are making less money and you think the league is all smiles about that?

I'm not arguing Curt, I stated I didn't believe the NHL gives a hoot about what Buffalo fans think, and they don't, regardless of how ticket, merchandise and other sales go. They don't care if such a small market slacks on TV viewer ship.

They care about larger markets, markets that have the ability to grow. Buffalo, unfortunately, does not for what ever reason. They were borderline back when Hamilton wanted a team, it would be wise to remember that.

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Now, I didn't like the idea that the NHL was helping the Pegulas with their GM search when they ended up hiring Botterill. That said, I would expect the NHL to be very interested in the continuing train derailment in Western New York and to maybe have a thing or two to say to the owners. The league has to be nervous that a breaking/tipping point might be coming for a franchise that's very important to the league. If that thing or two includes a strong suggestion that you need an experienced hockey guy at the top of the organization chart, and, Terry, it can't be you, I'm all for it.

Well according to these stats the answer is not much. Only Arizona, Florida and Columbus are valued as worth-less.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193732/franchise-value-of-national-hockey-league-teams-in-2010/

Now what makes you think that this franchise is very important to the league?

The only thing the league cares about is revenue and coast to coast geography for national TV coverage. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

Well according to these stats the answer is not much. Only Arizona, Florida and Columbus are valued as worth-less.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193732/franchise-value-of-national-hockey-league-teams-in-2010/

The only thing the league cares about is revenue and coast to coast geography for national TV coverage. 

Exactly!

2 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I'm not arguing Curt, I stated I didn't believe the NHL gives a hoot about what Buffalo fans think, and they don't, regardless of how ticket, merchandise and other sales go. They don't care if such a small market slacks on TV viewer ship.

They care about larger markets, markets that have the ability to grow. Buffalo, unfortunately, does not for what ever reason. They were borderline back when Hamilton wanted a team, it would be wise to remember that.

I think they want to make as much money as possible in all markets, but who knows, maybe dollars from Buffalo are worth less or something.

Legacy means Jack s%&t in 2020 Western culture. If the Sabres' legacy meant anything to the NHL in the near past, the Pegulas have urinated all over that legacy, negating any last hope the league would care about the Sabres beyond money. Follow the money. If there's money to be had in intervening with this clusterf&^k of an ownership period and assisting the Sabres somehow, they'll do it. If the money says let Pegula trash the team enough so it exits Buffalo, then that's what they'll let happen.

Edited by ...
The Ghost of Dwight Drane

I literally have not seen another Sabres fan out here on the west coast in years. Undercover fans too embarrassed to wear the colours sure, maybe. But someone wearing a jersey or hat , you don’t see em. Go to a Canucks Sabres game you’ll see it but on the street no. Its been about 11 or 12 years since I shelled out the bucks to go to a game. Its terrible frickin hockey. This franchise is a literal laughing stock in these parts. The butt of the joke. On every sport radio show its common to hear the hosts bust a gut when talking about this shitshow. And I’m a fan for 45 years livin the dream. I don’t think they’ll ever get it right. So I know what people think of this team and it ain’t good but it is earned. Ownership and management have put the fans in this uncomfortable position. Its a disgrace.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Think of Buffalo as a Canadian city on the wrong side of the border.  The NHL likes to keep their Canadian small market cities to keep the Canadian flavor of the league.  And economically, Buffalo is a part of that.  The more small market teams in the league, the more they can drive the economics of the league to make the small Canadian cities viable as NHL locations.

7 hours ago, bunomatic said:

On every sport radio show its common to hear the hosts bust a gut when talking about this shitshow.

I don't think this is true at all.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.