5 wins in 22 games
5 wins in 23 games
3 wins in 14 games

2018-19:
8 wins in 26 games
3 wins in 24 games

2019-20:
5 wins in 20 games

With none of these stretches overlapping. He made zero trades during any of those, except Wilson for a 5th I believe during one of the 17-18 ones, and the Kane trade. He ain't doin *****, hell 5 in 20 is pretty dang good by these standards lol 

In those 2+ years, have any other teams had such losing streaks? What have their GMs done during those stretches? Did it make a difference?

18 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

The game is one game, but it's sickening to imagine this season resulting in anything but playoffs.

There have been several games like this.  Fall behind early.  Score 5 and lose.  Five straight OT losses.  1 for 4 on the PP.   Give up another shorty.  

Just a few key players away from a contending team but not sure we have the guy to build this team. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

In those 2+ years, have any other teams had such losing streaks? What have their GMs done during those stretches? Did it make a difference?

Who cares. He needs to do something, that much is glaringly obvious. 

Edited by Thorny

Just now, SDS said:

There's no quick way for me to check for 20 game chunks like this for all other teams, but in the last GDT I outlined examples of GMs being proactive in the past few years, turning out-of-playoffs-at-New-years teams into playoff teams in April by identifying and addressing roster holes. Who knows if those records were created by long stretches of ineptitude.

The thing most egregious about Jason's tenure is that ours have been obvious in real time in the offseason for three consecutive offseasons, and so in three (so far) consecutive seasons he's failed to do anything about it either in season OR before. You give rope because it takes two to tango, so to speak, but his dubious roster vision has used up his rope and then some.

• Like (+1) 5

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Jack has 22 points in 12 games and we’ve won 4 of those games. Sad. 

If this season goes like last, as in, we sit for 2.5 months with a wild card spot within reach and begging to be grabbed by somebody, with us incapable of stringing anything together and constantly being kneecapped by everything we've talked about that's wrong with this team for two years, and ends up with us on the outside, I hope Jason is gone. Jack is doing ridiculous things this year and we're floundering anyway.

I can buy that it takes 5 years to build a cup contender. Trying to sell me that it'll take until season 4 to return to wild card contention? Get the ***** out of town

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Jason's Sabres have had stretches of:
2017-18:
5 wins in 22 games
5 wins in 23 games
3 wins in 14 games

2018-19:
8 wins in 26 games
3 wins in 24 games

2019-20:
5 wins in 20 games

With none of these stretches overlapping. He made zero trades during any of those, except Wilson for a 5th. He ain't doin *****, hell 5 in 20 is pretty dang good by these standards lol 

Edit: Kane trade came between two of those stretches

bUt MuRrAy WaS wOrSe.

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

There's no quick way for me to check for 20 game chunks like this for all other teams, but in the last GDT I outlined examples of GMs being proactive in the past few years, turning out-of-playoffs-at-New-years teams into playoff teams in April by identifying and addressing roster holes. Who knows if those records were created by long stretches of ineptitude.

The thing most egregious about Jason's tenure is that ours have been obvious in real time in the offseason for three consecutive offseasons, and so in three (so far) consecutive seasons he's failed to do anything about it either in season OR before. You give rope because it takes two to tango, so to speak, but his dubious roster vision has used up his rope and then some.

Results have to be expected at some point anyways regardless, or what are we even doing? It’s year 3. It’s the man’s job for jebus’s sakes, to field a good team. Yet we are still going on stretches of 15 losses in 20 after another inadequate off season. Any “unfillable” hole right now is his own doing. 

11 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

4 defenseman on your list.  That was our alleged strength.  

McCabe was very bad.  Joker had a tough night.  Bogo is rusty and looks sloppy with the puck. 

Mitts is just not ready for all the responsibilities he had   We need a real #2 , Johansson is not a center.  

Hutton underwhelmed as usual. I really do not care for his “veteran presence”.  

Ray consistently mentions McCabe, Bogosian and Hutton as veteran presence for the young guys in the locker room. How long before the young guys realize, if they haven’t already, that these three are costing them wins? 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

If this season goes like last, as in, we sit for 2.5 months with a wild card spot within reach and begging to be grabbed by somebody, with us incapable of stringing anything together and constantly being kneecapped by everything we've talked about that's wrong with this team for two years, and ends up with us on the outside, I hope Jason is gone. Jack is doing ridiculous things this year and we're floundering anyway.

I can buy that it takes 5 years to build a cup contender. Trying to sell me that it'll take until season 4 to return to wild card contention? Get the ***** out of town

Exactly. Like, no lol, there are only 31 of these jobs in the world, you gotta do better. 

As ever I’m firmly in the playoff bubble or bust this year or can him category. He’s done some good things, but if he can’t field a bubble team in 3 full seasons he’s effed up royally.

It’s an intentionally low bar because I want him to succeed here. 

Lots of season left. 

Edited by Thorny

Based on the past few weeks I’m not sure I like our defense as much as we all thought. 

Joker is a bright young player, but we are seeing mistakes and experience issues with his increased responsibilities (I.e.power play) 

McCabe and Miller do not look very good at times.  They have “grit”, why don’t they make better plays?  

Montour is ok 

Scandella has been ok  

Bogo not really making a difference and not reliable 

Dahlin needs to come back and pick up his game   

Risto having a decent season, but history shows he needs limited minutes - so who gets those minutes? 

Just now, Thorny said:

Exactly. Like, no lol, there are only 31 of these jobs in the world, you gotta do better. 

As ever I’m firmly in the playoff bubble or bust this year or can him category. He’s done some good things, but if he can’t field a bubble team in 3 full seasons he’s effed up royally.

Lots of season left. 

There could even be people out there who allow it if it's clear we were stocking up in a huge way for the near future - they wouldn't include me, but they'd exist. 

But our second best forward prospect not on the team today is what, Tage Thompson? like holy ***** there's nothing on the farm except Cozens 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Pimlach said:

Based on the past few weeks I’m not sure I like our defense as much as we all thought. 

Joker is a bright young player, but we are seeing mistakes and experience issues with his increased responsibilities (I.e.power play) 

McCabe and Miller do not look very good at times.  They have “grit”, why don’t they make better plays?  

Montour is ok 

Scandella has been ok  

Bogo not really making a difference and not reliable 

Dahlin needs to come back and pick up his game   

Risto having a decent season, but history shows he needs limited minutes - so who gets those minutes? 

The Montour trade looks like another mistake. He’s mediocre and we really could have used the first round pick on a forward or traded for a forward. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.