Around the NHL Summer 2019

spndnchz

On 5/30/2019 at 5:02 PM, E4 ... Ke2 said:

Mill, I might actually be worse than you.

One of my parents' first friends after they were married were a football coach (a former original Cleveland Brown) and his wife.  After my parents met them, the man went to work with an old friend whom he knew from his college days in Cleveland, Ohio.  He was the defencive line coach of the No-Name Defence.  From 1971-83, he used to let me sit in on the defencive game plan review at the team hotel the day before the game.

Interesting tidbit: It did not matter that the Bills were 4-9-1 during Miami's Perfect Season.  I have a clip of the former coaching staff being interviewed on a Miami TV station from the 20th anniversary year.  To a man, they say that the only game that they realistically should have lost was to the Bills on 22 October 1972 at the Orange Bowl.  Apparently, Saban's game plans had them befuddled the entire game.  They uniformly believed that had the Bills started Dennis Shaw instead of Mike Taliaferro, the Dolphins that season go 16-1.

24 to 23.

Handoff to Manny Fernandez while running out the clock.

6:20 mark.

• Thanks (+1) 1

13 hours ago, dudacek said:

If Hayes ends up signing there who does that put on the block?

Or is Giroux on the wing and Patrick, Hayes and Couturier down the middle?

Giroux has been on the wing for a few years now. They moved him back to center for a very brief time earlier this year. They said early in the offseason getting another center to pair with Patrick and Couturier was a priority.

8 hours ago, Hoss said:

Giroux has been on the wing for a few years now. They moved him back to center for a very brief time earlier this year. They said early in the offseason getting another center to pair with Patrick and Couturier was a priority.

Well, the Flyers know center is important. We'll find out if Botterill does. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Well, the Flyers know center is important. We'll find out if Botterill does. 

Is it a reasonable assumption to assume otherwise? Is there a list of items we can concede that he knows by virtue of attaining the professional status of GM for an NHL franchise?

1 hour ago, SDS said:

Is it a reasonable assumption to assume otherwise? Is there a list of items we can concede that he knows by virtue of attaining the professional status of GM for an NHL franchise?

I know you enjoy making these types of comments, but I thought my half-troll was reasonably obvious. 

On the half non-troll...the team had playoff aspirations and he thought it was sufficient to go into the season with some combination of Mittelstadt and Berglund in the 2C slot. His signature move of the offseason was for a winger (note: I'm not dismissing how good of an acquisition that was). He either didn't think it was that important to have quality NHL centers or he's completely inept at identifying what a quality NHL center is. Take your pick. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I would be extremely interested in Puljujarvi at buy-low prices. Only 21, exceptional prospect heading into his draft year, and it's really only this past season that had disappointing results. Edmonton of course tried to rush him into the NHL post draft, but he put up a .72 PPG in his first AHL season (For reference, A. Nylander had a .63 PPG in this his third AHL season). 20 points in his first full NHL season (65 games), the season before this one, is not completely terrible either. Right shot, right wing, which we need desperately. I like the chances of one of Puljujarvi or Nylander cracking the lineup in a meaningful way than the odds if it's just Nylander. 

He also looks like Adam DeMamp from Workaholics, so, no brainer.

Edited by Thorny

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd trade for him. Any talent we can add we should add. 

I don’t agree with this line of thinking. Giving roster spots to a guy without knowing where, how or if he fits won’t help fix this culture.

15 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I don’t agree with this line of thinking. Giving roster spots to a guy without knowing where, how or if he fits won’t help fix this culture.

Completely unrelated, but I am slowly catching up on stuff ... you must be pretty happy with the way the post season has played out for the Raptors.

+++++

Completely related ... your post makes sense, but the Sabres are in desperate need of forward talent.  I think that most teams, especially the Sabres, would be able to fit someone like Rad into their lineup.  Who knows if he will help fix the 'culture', whatever that is exactly I do not know, on the Sabres is another matter, but he probably would not hurt it.

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Is he better than Larsson? Yes okay, add him. He can play rw or center and we desperately need someone who can play RW or Center. 

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Is he better than Larsson? Yes okay, add him. He can play rw or center and we desperately need someone who can play RW or Center. 

I’m not interested in spending assets on a pile of bottom six at best players until we have an idea what we’re building. That’s not to say Roslovic wouldn’t be a good add. He may be part of that plan. I’m just not about “let’s grab some dudes that are better than Larsson and hope it works.” Have a plan.

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Completely unrelated, but I am slowly catching up on stuff ... you must be pretty happy with the way the post season has played out for the Raptors.

+++++

Completely related ... your post makes sense, but the Sabres are in desperate need of forward talent.  I think that most teams, especially the Sabres, would be able to fit someone like Rad into their lineup.  Who knows if he will help fix the 'culture', whatever that is exactly I do not know, on the Sabres is another matter, but he probably would not hurt it.

Yea I’ve been losing my mind a bit these finals haha it’s been stressful but fun. Really excited for tonight.

On 6/7/2019 at 1:16 PM, Hoss said:

I’m not interested in spending assets on a pile of bottom six at best players until we have an idea what we’re building. That’s not to say Roslovic wouldn’t be a good add. He may be part of that plan. I’m just not about “let’s grab some dudes that are better than Larsson and hope it works.” Have a plan.

Yea I’ve been losing my mind a bit these finals haha it’s been stressful but fun. Really excited for tonight.

That's part of the plan upgrading everywhere. If he's cheap, do it. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Awesome. He hates Toronto more than any other team, it's very obvious. Plus he's a huge barstool guy so that makes senes

Meh, Jack can suck a lemon. It's all of Canada lumped in there. 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Meh, Jack can suck a lemon. It's all of Canada lumped in there. 

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Pretty sure Jack doesn't hate Canada man

I would assume most of Canada wants the Raptors to win. I would also hope that every American hockey player loves nothing more than to perpetually anger Canadians. Jack represents the United States in hockey, who will always play second fiddle to Canada. Why just hate Toronto when you can hate them all? I’ve got no issue with it. Not to mention anyone familiar with barstool knows everything is over-the-top.