Around the NHL Summer 2019

spndnchz

I think she's a great pick.  A female minority who was a waitress.  Does not get much further than "rich, old white guys."  The owners need someone like this and, given some of the crap that players utter every now and then, the players could use it too.

Just now, E4 ... Ke2 said:

I think she's a great pick.  A female minority who was a waitress.  Does not get much further than "rich, old white guys."  The owners need someone like this and, given some of the crap that players utter every now and then, the players could use it too.

F u and thanks ?

4 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

F u and thanks ?

What?  I am not trying to be insulting, condescending, etc.  I think that the players and owners need to speak with someone like her more often.  As the late Senator Pat Moynahan once said to the late Tim Russert about why the Senator was hiring the guy from Buffalo over the Ivy Leaguers, etc., he said, "What they know, you can learn.  What you know, they will never learn."

I think she's awesome.

Edited by E4 ... Ke2
expansion of the point.
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

Why, why does this political correctness/Identity politics have to bleed over in to the sports threads.

The NHL has the second most diverse backgrounds of all the major sports. If it’s about getting more black and brown players, they need to start donating ice time and equipment to inner-cities, which I would totally support. The MLB runs programs like that, and while it hasn’t been super successful in creating more black American ballplayers, it has gotten more black Americans into baseball. A similar program should absolutely be implemented by the NHL but I doubt this is what that is. 

For what it’s worth, I thought E4 was sincerely saying KP would bring gender, economic and ethnic diversity to a power group that could use it.  I mean, it’s the inter-webs and I miss things ... but I didn't read any snark or sarcasm.

2 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Hey look everyone, it's PA ridiculing Kim Pegula. Shocker of the year! ???

I'm not ridiculing her as much as the idea that she's qualified to be on the council (or be president of professional sports franchises for that matter). The fact that her appointment excludes qualified minority women is the irony of ironies.

7 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm not ridiculing her as much as the idea that she's qualified to be on the council (or be president of professional sports franchises for that matter). The fact that her appointment excludes qualified minority women is the irony of ironies.

What exactly makes one qualified to be on a diversity council? The concept of “qualified” is incredibly overrated and overthought.

Recognizing that I may sound Progressive, leaving you all to assume my account’s been hacked, I think that sending the next wave of traditionally “qualified” anything perpetuates just what you’re looking to change.

For those interested, find Jordan Peterson’s work on the value of Progressive thought as an agent of change useful against institutionalized and corrupt assemblies that are obstacles to equal opportunity.

Here’s to KP’s talents and insights, regardless of where she gathered them.  Let the chips fall where they may.

PS .... Life’s funny.  I have eight hours of Diversity training, tomorrow.

Edited by Neo

5 minutes ago, Neo said:

Recognizing that I may sound Progressive, leaving you all to assume my account’s been hacked, I think that sending the next wave of traditionally “qualified” anything perpetuates just what you’re looking to change.

For those interested, find Jordan Peterson’s work on the value of Progressive thought as an agent of change useful against institutionalized and corrupt assemblies that are obstacles to equal opportunity and the resulting inequality of outcome.

Here’s to KP’s talents and insights, regardless of where she gathered them.  Let the chips fall where they may.

PS .... Life’s funny.  I have eight hours of Diversity training, tomorrow.

Appreciate the contribution, as always.

I think “qualification” is very often used to weed out anybody who has experiences that might lead them to alter the field or landscape they’re entering. I believe something like a diversity council doesn’t necessitate qualifications of professional nature (though Kim certainly has those, as well).

A few months back there was a debate about who is more qualified to be president: Trump or rapper Cardi B (who I imagine many of you have never heard of). While I think neither are within a stone’s throw of being able to run the country, I don’t think you can give an edge to either as far as “qualifications” go. Cardi lived and learned on the streets, forced to interact with poor humans she relates to and rich one’s who sought her services as a dancer. She had to overcome a lot on the streets and would have far more insight into what the people on the street need to survive than Trump would. But people look at Trump as at least more qualified than a rapper who came from nothing because he’s done... business deals?

Qualifications are a sham in many cases where the positions don’t require a learned skill.

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Against my better judgment, I'm going to engage in a conversation where I have zero hope of changing an opinion. Whatever you may think of how Kim Pegula came to her position, she has now been in a leadership position in a major sports organization (PSE) for years. She has a demographic profile that is incredibly rare at the executive level in any billion dollar industry, to say nothing of professional sports. I think she's quite well qualified for this role.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Neo said:

For what it’s worth, I thought E4 was sincerely saying KP would bring gender, economic and ethnic diversity to a power group that could use it.  I mean, it’s the inter-webs and I miss things ... but I didn't read any snark or sarcasm.

Thank you very much, Neo.  That is exactly what I meant.

3 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Against my better judgment, I'm going to engage in a conversation where I have zero hope of changing an opinion. Whatever you may think of how Kim Pegula came to her position, she has now been in a leadership position in a major sports organization (PSE) for years. She has a demographic profile that is incredibly rare at the executive level in any billion dollar industry, to say nothing of professional sports. I think she's quite well qualified for this role.

That was also my point.

It has nothing to do with politics.  It is just my personal philosophy.  I like being challenged and, IMHO, a group as ossified and reactionary as the NHL can learn from the voice of Kim Pegula.  I can't believe I am going to quote one of the worst Doctor Who stories of all time, but as "Monarch" says in Part Two of "Four to Doomsday": "We need doubt.  It's the greatest intellectual galvanizer."

Edited by E4 ... Ke2
simplification
  • Like (+1) 2

“Ossified” is the word my brain searched for and didn't find when I was posting.  I kept going to “gentrified ,,, no, no, no”. It’s been on the tip of my fingers.  Grateful!

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

What other minority women do you have in mind? Do they own an NHL franchise?

6 hours ago, SwampD said:

To quote a great man, “This is obnoxious.”

Seriously. Who mods the mods?

7 hours ago, SwampD said:

To quote a great man, “This is obnoxious.”

I have to believe that chz took the post not in the intended way.  It was worded in a way that could be read as she did, especially as a female.  I admit that I was thinking of giving the original poster a blast until I read the post very carefully a few times.  I then was comfortable in that @Neo had the right take.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Seriously. Who mods the mods?

We are expected to call them out when needed.  Thanks @SwampD, although the 'to quote a great man' part was not needed, IMO.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

We are expected to call them out when needed.  Thanks @SwampD, although the 'to quote a great man' part was not needed, IMO.

Maybe not necessary, but it was funny.

14 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Why Kim then?

Because it's a diversity and inclusion council formed from ownership ranks (or, I guess, their equivalent (like what Ted Black used to do as alternate governor)). Kim's from at least 2 demographics that, we may infer, the NHL is seeking to include more (women, people of color).