GDT Sabres at The Islanders 7pm MSG

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Botterill failing to supplement this team after the streak, after we lost Berglund, is another way he's losing Skinner. 

That and the constant fundamental mistakes the team makes in its own zone has to be extremely frustrating.

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

So far so good. Duffer is appropriately stone-faced. I heard from a friend that the Sabres' Twitter feed was interesting tonight.

Watching all 82 is a badge of honor I really, really earned this  year.

1 minute ago, Cheektorado said:

A good captain goes down with the ship.

All things considered, I think Jack has done a good job with the press.  Have to remember he's still only 22.  I was still stumbling home most nights at that age.

• Like (+1) 4

That was awesome.

Jack is so good that even when he isn’t trying, he gets points.

Good to see Olofsson get a goal.

I don’t care how good he was in the first, Hutton was leaky once again,... granted, that just means we should have lost 3-1.

46 minutes ago, dudacek said:

We are on a run of 3/15/4.

We have one regulation win in the span, just 6 since Christmas.

I defy someone to find a coach who has survived that kind of collapse.

No other franchise would let a coach survive that. Only here in Buffalo with the Pegulas does this type of crap happen. Don’t hold your breath the Pegulas do the right thing here. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Billznut said:

No other franchise would let a coach survive that. Only here in Buffalo with the Pegulas does this type of crap happen. Don’t hold your breath the Pegulas do the right thing here. 

They have to fire PH.  Who would renew ST with him back and merely a few new faces.  I've said it before, Terry is not a great executive.  He ran a family business and fracked at the right time, and got out at the right time.  Good for him and his billions.  More upsetting is that I think Terry has more business acumen than Kim.

I missed the game.  Went out with the wife and friends.  

Looks like another bad game.  I am not surprised.  

I am sadddened by this season more than any other.  I was against tanking.  Against the whole concept of it.  Losing has crept deep into the culture of these players.  It’s normal, therefore it’s ok. 

Sad.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Just now, Tondas said:

Kid's got an elite shot.  Would have liked to see on the big club sooner. 

I understand that mindset. I do.

The reason why he’s hasn’t looked lost is because he’s been developing nicely in Roch. gaining confidence. If he has a nice post season and looks great in training camp, he’ll make the team. If not, he goes back to Roch to work on his game some more.

hopefully Tage gets some serious development time in Roch. too.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

just from watching this season progress (regress), it just feels to me that around christmas this team needed an injection of help. Whether it be Oloffson or Nylander or from a trade. And when that didnt happen, our top line slowly disintegrated, either from the pressure of having to carry the whole team or from exhaustion, or a combination of the 2. By the time the trade deadline came & went & no offensive help came this way, its been going thru the motions til this season was over.

I don't think PH is the reason our season has gone downhill. If anything I blame JBots for not recognizing you need more than 1 line that can create offense. He must really be firmly committed to his 3 - 5 year process of developing players thru the draft & Rochester, because there were opportunities out there I'm sure to bring in another forward or 2 to help with our secondary scoring & he trades a 1st for Montour.

I just hope with how bad this season has ended it'll light the fuse upstairs that we need to be more aggressive in adding more talent to this team. And if theres a better coach out there than PH then by all means i'll take it. I just don't know who that coach is atm.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jad1 said:

I don't know, give guys like Nylander or Olofsson a shot earlier in the season?  Give Smith or O'Regan or Smith a shot?  Make a blockbuster trade for a guy like Duchene and have Pegula open up the wallet to sign him long term?  Trade for an older vet like Eric Staal who could improve the 2C position and mentor the young guys on the team?

Nylander and Olofsson a shot earlier? maybe. Not sure they've shown enough to warrant that or to have made a difference but maybe.

Smith or O'Regan? Nah, they are nothing. AHLers. Nothing to pin any hopes on.

Duchene trade (so you are giving up.............?) no thank you. He has done very little for Columbus and he should be going flat out to earn a big contract. Guy only plays when and if he wants to. No way does he fix this mess. 

Veteran 2C would have been good. Not sure we had anything to offer though without giving up the future. Bringing in vets to mentor the young puts us in Okposo territory so it'd have to be the right guy for sure. 

I dunno, it's a slow process. What irks me now is how they've lost the effort and the will to try. I said a bunch of games back they were more entertaining this year and I felt they were losing but in games. Signs of life and hope. Now, that's all gone. They look slow and anemic and as bad as they did in the tank year. I am no longer entertained, and so I question whether the culture has in fact changed at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Nylander and Olofsson a shot earlier? maybe. Not sure they've shown enough to warrant that or to have made a difference but maybe.

Duchene trade (so you are giving up.............?) no thank you. He has done very little for Columbus and he should be going flat out to earn a big contract. Guy only plays when and if he wants to. No way does he fix this mess. 

Veteran 2C would have been good. Not sure we had anything to offer though without giving up the future. Bringing in vets to mentor the young puts us in Okposo territory so it'd have to be the right guy for sure. 

I dunno, it's a slow process. What irks me now is how they've lost the effort and the will to try. I said a bunch of games back they were more entertaining this year and I felt they were losing but in games. Signs of life and hope. Now, that's all gone. They look slow and anemic and as bad as they did in the tank year. I am no longer entertained, and so I question whether the culture has in fact changed at all. 

They had 3 first round draft picks in the draft.  They got Skinner for less than that.  Teams have traded for top six fowards for late first rounders and mid-level prospects (see O'Reilly and Kane). 

Botterill could have made a deal if he wanted to.  Unless you believe Mittelstadt will vastly improve next season, Botterill is going to have to look outside the organization to build a legit 2nd line.  Unless he overpays in FA, he's going to have to finally make a deal in the off season.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Meh ... don’t read into post game losses media scums ...

Why in the world would he sign here?  He'll get $$ and term anywhere.  Why not try  to win too?

1 hour ago, Tondas said:

They have to fire PH.  Who would renew ST with him back and merely a few new faces.  I've said it before, Terry is not a great executive.  He ran a family business and fracked at the right time, and got out at the right time.  Good for him and his billions.  More upsetting is that I think Terry has more business acumen than Kim.

Kim has no business acumen of any kind, and why should she?

Good thing she's running the show now.

LOL

5 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Why in the world would he sign here?  He'll get $$ and term anywhere.  Why not try  to win too?

Kim has no business acumen of any kind, and why should she?

Good thing she's running the show now.

LOL

No matter what reason I give, you’ll disagree with because your mind is made up. 

I’m not saying he definitely will or definitely will not sign with the Sabres BTW.

i just commented about what Skinner (or any player) says in media scrums after losses as an indicator as to his intentions after the season ends. 

I’m not saying you’re doing this ... but Ive always found fans who try so hard to read between the lines, read into things, make more out of something that isn’t there, and create agendas based on nothing concrete, eat up anything negative and are usually overly dramatic. Yawn...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Why? Remember when Leafs, Islanders, Flames and Jets were all as bad as we are?

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Tondas said:

He just owns the team, only thing he has to do is hire the right people.    I think Botteril will turn out to be a great hire, Housley needs to go yes.

57 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

He just owns the team, only thing he has to do is hire the right people.    I think Botteril will turn out to be a great hire, Housley needs to go yes.

I hope your correct on Botteril. Everything hinges on him.  Terry and Kim will go along with him.  “He is smart and he communicates”.  

Listening to Eichel's post game. He laid it all on the line when asked if the players have tuned Phil out.

He said this isn't on Phil, this is on us, for not executing on the ice. He said Phil's not out their playing the game, we are.

When your Captain speaks up, and in this fashion, you pay attention. He's saying exactly what we fans are seeing on the ice.

And you know something...…………………….he's correct.

Food for Thought!

7 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Listening to Eichel's post game. He laid it all on the line when asked if the players have tuned Phil out.

He said this isn't on Phil, this is on us, for not executing on the ice. He said Phil's not out their playing the game, we are.

When your Captain speaks up, and in this fashion, you pay attention. He's saying exactly what we fans are seeing on the ice.

And you know something...…………………….he's correct.

Food for Thought!

Eeyore has a younger face now.  But because we threw away two seasons to get him we won't acknowledge it.  We're too emotionally invested in the idea that Jack is what is right with this team.

Jack shouldn't be focusing on we/us. He quit on this season (again) as much as anyone.  He needs to focus on his own performance right now.  It's not an acceptable level of performance.  Lead by example first.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.