Official:Trade Brandon Montour to Buffalo for 1st and Guhle

Brawndo

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

and the development plan working magic on the 2ndary prospects. 

But supposedly that's just what they're doing in Rochester- playing a HCPH-esque system and getting them ready to make the jump.  This is what JBot has said he wants to do.

Someone made a comment that Thompson, Mitts and Dahlin (and to a lesser extent, Pilut) saw NHL time because there will be a lot of new faces on the Sabres next year that are in the AHL now, and they didn't want too many players making the jump at once.  So they picked the ones they felt were closest and had them get their OJT at the NHL level this year.  Hopefully by next year they will have their legs under them *and* be able to help the new guys adjust to the NHL game. 

We see it as not being a quick enough build, but JBot probably feels like he's pushing things as fast as he can and still be ultimately successful.  That success part won't be apparent for probably another 2-4 years yet.

27 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That's the entire season in a nutshell, isn't it?

We are committed to the high-risk, high-reward game, but don't have the talent (certainly the finishers, probably the passers, and maybe not the goaltending) to execute it.

Montour tells me JBot's solution is add more talent. Not sure where he plans on getting enough of it.

There is a ton riding on the development of Dahlin, Ullmark and Mittelstadt and the development plan working magic on the 2ndary prospects.

Better it be resting on the development of those 3 than on Grigorenko, Zadorov, & Kasdorf.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I still feel Mitts has been miscast this year.  His ceiling may be 2C, but putting him that spot this year was a bridge too far.  We've been over the whole Berglund thing- that supposedly he didn't "earn" the 2C role, but he, or possibly ERod or even Sobotka, would have been a better option for this season and let Mitts either play wing on the second line, or center the third line.  I could see where that would have aided both Casey's development and the team's overall success.  But what do I know?  I'm just some crank fan on a message forum.

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I still feel Mitts has been miscast this year.  His ceiling may be 2C, but putting him that spot this year was a bridge too far.  We've been over the whole Berglund thing- that supposedly he didn't "earn" the 2C role, but he, or possibly ERod or even Sobotka, would have been a better option for this season and let Mitts either play wing on the second line, or center the third line.  I could see where that would have aided both Casey's development and the team's overall success.  But what do I know?  I'm just some crank fan on a message forum.

His ceiling is a 1C on a meh-team.  So he very well could be an ideal 2C.

E-Rod would probably have been the best (and that term only being used relative to the other optiins presented to Housley) choice at 2C but there still would've been issues with that as well.

Totally on board w/ GA in believing Botterill needed to get a 2C after Berglund imploded (and really, even before that).

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

he was god-awful last night.

It seems like early in the season he was better with each passing game.  About the time the 10-game streak ended, it seems like his improvement ended too.  I'm not sure if one contributed to the other or they're just coincidences.  I also remember that after his first season I felt Reinhart was underwhelming too.  He seems to have gotten better each year, taking what he learned the previous year and working it into his game, *plus* adding muscle in the off-season.  I hope Casey does the same and can follow a trajectory similar to Reinhart's.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.