Phil Housley should be fired.

LGR4GM

8 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

Should have been fired when Quinnville became available. Need all players to buy in defense first mentality.

Defense wins Championships and I won't give up on Risto yet. With the right coach, I bet he will blossom. The man has skill and size. Under Phil and assistants, the entire defense is butter soft. (Except perhaps Bogo and McCabe) All I see is stick checking and never removing bodies from in front of our goaltender. Under Quenneville, at least that would change.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

He would have a three week job interview 

I am totally cool with that hiring. Reel him in TPegs! (and JBots) More talent on this roster than gets credit. Especially if we can't bring in any free agents (any big names anyhow) to improve this roster. We have some solid young talent that needs proper coaching and development and someone who may be a little tougher on the players. I'm good with this should it transpire. 

This from Atlantic's Lebrun 2nd half of article stating Housley and Bougner in trouble. https://theathletic.com/893957/2019/03/29/lebrun-notebook-decision-on-hobey-baker-candidate-adam-foxs-professional-future-expected-soon/

Edited by North Buffalo

AV likes skating teams. There is no doubt he is in charge. Like most veteran coaches, he prefers veterans and got fired in New York because management didn't believe he was the right guy for their rebuild.

Give him an average NHL team and he will get them into the playoffs, kinda like Trotz did on Long Island. Give him a good NHL team and he will contend. He doesn't have much of a track record with bad NHL teams. Not sure if he is the right coach for the Sabres given the amount of kids we will be cycling in, but he is a good coach who will weed out the malingerers. He will definitely have his own version of Sobotka and will frustrate fans by sitting young players. But after this year, maybe fans will see why Wilson over Thompson is not necessarily a bad thing.

Based on the popular percption of what the Sabres are, I don't know if he is what the Sabres need. But given what the Sabres have shown, maybe he is exactly what the Sabres need.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, dudacek said:

AV likes skating teams. There is no doubt he is in charge. Like most veteran coaches, he prefers veterans and got fired in New York because management didn't believe he was the right guy for their rebuild.

Give him an average NHL team and he will get them into the playoffs, kinda like Trotz did on Long Island. Give him a good NHL team and he will contend. He doesn't have much of a track record with bad NHL teams. Not sure if he is the right coach for the Sabres given the amount of kids we will be cycling in, but he is a good coach who will weed out the malingerers. He will definitely have his own version of Sobotka and will frustrate fans by sitting young players. But after this year, maybe fans will see why Wilson over Thompson is not necessarily a bad thing.

Based on the popular percption of what the Sabres are, I don't know if he is what the Sabres need. But given what the Sabres have shown, maybe he is exactly what the Sabres need.

I’ve not agreed with the idea of cycling the kids through.  I might have to jump on this train.

41 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don't think it's necessarily true he was fired for being the wrong guy to rebuild with. At best, that's a charitable interpretation. There was a ton written about how Vigneault wasn't adapting with changes in the game. He was relying on a counter attack system in a world of possession. It worked for awhile because Hank was Hank, but if he tried to do the same thing with our goalies, it would be an abject disaster. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I don't think it's necessarily true he was fired for being the wrong guy to rebuild with. At best, that's a charitable interpretation. There was a ton written about how Vigneault wasn't adapting with changes in the game. He was relying on a counter attack system in a world of possession. It worked for awhile because Hank was Hank, but if he tried to do the same thing with our goalies, it would be an abject disaster. 

Good point.

And the thought the game has passed him by is a reasonable one. He is of the same vintage of Babcock, Julien, Trotz, Laviolette and Quenville.

Has he learned from his mistakes? Has he adapted? Or is he another Bylsma?

Housley preaches the possession system and Botterill seems to believe in it.

5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

He would have a three week job interview 

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Interesting.  I've always kinda liked AV and would be totally fine with this.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

We need a new coach, that's for sure. But True is right. There are criticisms about coach Q too. 

Give me Sheldon Keefe

14 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

They could fire all the coaches and bring in Scotty (again) and the Ghost Of Punch and the Ghost of Toe and it would not make a bit of difference until the roster is improved.

I don't think that Phil will be fired.  JBOT, by doing so, would be admitting that he failed.

Thinking... can Phil develop with team, not sure but if he is kept message sent to team its his way better step up and yeh more talent needed both at NHL level and through out the system.

9 hours ago, WildCard said:

We need a new coach, that's for sure. But True is right. There are criticisms about coach Q too. 

Give me Sheldon Keefe

Does anyone know if Keefe’s New Contract allows Kyle Dubas to block him from speaking to certain teams?  

If AV comes here, does he try to bring Lindy Ruff in as an assistant?  AV brought him to the Rangers a few years ago. I can see Pegula loving the AV hire if he can get Lindy to come back. In Pegulas mind that will be instant excitement for Sabres fans and great PR. 

Edited by Billznut

3 minutes ago, Billznut said:

If AV comes here, does he try to bring Lindy Ruff in as an assistant?  AV brought him to the Rangers a few years ago. I can see Pegula loving the AV hire if he can get Lindy to come back. In Pegulas mind that will be instant excitement for Sabres fans and great PR. 

Good PR would be the worst reason to bring Ruff back. 

But with Pegulas mind ... who knows what “wise” thing he decides.

Edited by Zamboni

3 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Good PR would be the worst reason to bring Ruff back. 

But with Pegulas mind ... who knows what “wise” thing he decides.

These are exactly the kind of moves Pegula loves. Anything to bring back the glory days of the past. Don’t discount it. I definitely could see it happening if AV is the next HC. 

On 3/29/2019 at 6:18 PM, New Scotland (NS) said:

They could fire all the coaches and bring in Scotty (again) and the Ghost Of Punch and the Ghost of Toe and it would not make a bit of difference until the roster is improved.

I don't think that Phil will be fired.  JBOT, by doing so, would be admitting that he failed.

That's where the owner steps in keeps Botterill honest.  If he refuses, he can go too.

It will be beyond embarrassing if PH is not fired the day after the season is over.

If he isn't, you will know how serious this organization is about trying to win anything.