Phil Housley should be fired.

LGR4GM

24 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I find it more likely that whatever this franchise does, that some people won't be happy.

I know. What a whiny and entitled fan base. I bet this franchise could win a CUP and people would STILL find reasons to be UNHAPPY.

10 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I know. What a whiny and entitled fan base. I bet this franchise could win a CUP and people would STILL find reasons to be UNHAPPY.

I didn't see too many unhappy people during the win streak. 

After being the laughing stock of the league the last five years, I think fans have reason to be upset. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

All they would be saying is "take out that 10 game streak, and we don't deserve the Cup".

I guess I don't know who the they are, beyond the figment of someone's imagination.

That said, I think I need to know about the clinching game. We didn't need overtime, did we? That would be lame.

54 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I guess I don't know who the they are, beyond the figment of someone's imagination.

That said, I think I need to know about the clinching game. We didn't need overtime, did we? That would be lame.

What's lame is that someone would think that one cup  would be enough to satisfy everyone. There will be people who will complain about how it was won. Say that we got "lucky". Or three years later aren't happy with the team because they didn't win a 2nd cup or a third one. I guarantee it will happen. Fire the GM....Fire the Coach....we need a new owner...it's been 2years since we won a cup. 

1 hour ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

What's lame is that someone would think that one cup  would be enough to satisfy everyone. There will be people who will complain about how it was won. Say that we got "lucky". Or three years later aren't happy with the team because they didn't win a 2nd cup or a third one. I guarantee it will happen. Fire the GM....Fire the Coach....we need a new owner...it's been 2years since we won a cup. 

As a long time Red Sox fan, I totally disagree with this.

I and a lot of other Red Sox fans went in completely the other direction after they finally won in 2004.  It was like now that they had done it, even just that one time (since WWI), it didn't matter what ever happened again.  They did it.  The monkey was off their back.  The curse was over.  It really changed the nature of my fandom for the team, and not necessarily in a good way.  I became much more casual and "who care's....we won and no one can ever take that away."

Red Sox have won 3 more times since 2004, but my level of excitement for each win has been a tiny, tiny fraction of what was going on in 2004.

When the Red Sox finally did it in 2004, it was like a certain sense of closure was achieved, and anything and everything that followed is "all good".

At least that is how I and a lot of other Sox fans have taken it with them...

I assume it would largely be the same with Bills and/or Sabres fans too.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Happens in every fanbase.  Nothing different going on here.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Weave said:

Happens in every fanbase.  Nothing different going on here.

That's how I know it will happen. Someone will always have a complaint no matter what happens.

@Kruppstahl...I know I would feel the same. But I know Yankee fans and Sox fans and they aren't ever satisfied(especially with each other). It's not that I blame them either, I'm sure I will want more but like yourself I will always revel in the moment and it will be special. I won't be complaining but might be saying..."I rember when" and "those were the days".

3 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

What people? How would you characterize them? Longtime fans? Casual fans? Mere observers? I am calling total BS on the idea that any fan would complain about a Cup victory. In this city? This fan base? That's cray cray. Let's remember what this notion is all about — trying to shame fans who are critical of this franchise, which only has Cusps @New Scotland (NS) to its name to this point in its history.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

What people? How would you characterize them? Longtime fans? Casual fans? Mere observers? I am calling total BS on the idea that any fan would complain about a Cup victory. In this city? This fan base? That's cray cray. Let's remember what this notion is all about — trying to shame fans who are critical of this franchise, which only has Cusps @New Scotland (NS) to its name to this point in its history.

You can cry BS all you want but I've personally dealt with fans from other cities that have won and experienced the complaining along with the boasting. And until we win you won't experience it.

3 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

You can cry BS all you want but I've personally dealt with fans from other cities that have won and experienced the complaining along with the boasting. And until we win you won't experience it.

Maybe if the Sabres won a few... but not after only one cup... If they were there regularly and won a few... yeh I have seen that in other cities, but Yankee fans only complain really when they don't win, when they do... they over analyze who should be play better and who they can buy off other teams that might make them better.  Still point taken.. though in Buffalo if it was just the first one... doubt you would hear any complaints from Sabres fans.

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I might add that some people are willing to give PH until December next year. 

Outside the fact that if there is regression, I wouldn't fire him mid season for reason of "not enough" progress. The quality and quantity of your options aren't likely to be in your favor as much as at the end of season. Your options are likely someone whom has just been fired or someone whom has been unemployed for a time and in either case very few to pick from. If your looking for a coach like a Trotz, waiting until the season ends and finding one that either "fits your system",or maybe a disciplinarian, or a teacher, or any combo of those traits, would be my guess for having a choice of the coach you want/need.

This is why I say PH should have one more year(which is actually only 1/2 year more than people are willing to give him). I can suffer another six months if need be to get this thing right.

Can you say Philadelphia?

More likely, you fire him mid way (from the GM's perspective) simply for the optics. It makes you look like you are doing something and can possibly make it look like it was the coach's fault. The expectation has to be higher next year and if we fail early the blame has to go somewhere and the coach is always the first to go. If JBot stands by Housley next year (if it's bad) he will fall on his sword like Hextall did - even though everyone agrees that Hextall fixed their cap issues and stocked their prospect cupboard to the max. 

11 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I pray the Sabres win a Cup. I will show this board what trolling really looks like.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

The idea that fans would find things to complain about if the Sabres win the cup has to be hyperbole for effect.

There will be hardcore types who will find ways to cling to their pet hates in the aftermath (the coach, the PP, the overpaid star, the soft D etc...) but there is no way every single Sabre fan isn’t going to be all in when it happens.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Can you say Philadelphia?

More likely, you fire him mid way (from the GM's perspective) simply for the optics. It makes you look like you are doing something and can possibly make it look like it was the coach's fault. The expectation has to be higher next year and if we fail early the blame has to go somewhere and the coach is always the first to go. If JBot stands by Housley next year (if it's bad) he will fall on his sword like Hextall did - even though everyone agrees that Hextall fixed their cap issues and stocked their prospect cupboard to the max. 

I don't like the idea of entering into next season with Housley on a short leash. In a season where playoffs are a must, we can't afford to throw away the first bit of it. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

I don't like the idea of entering into next season with Housley on a short leash. In a season where playoffs are a must, we can't afford to throw away the first bit of it. 

And what happens if the Sabres don’t make the playoffs?

Just now, Thorny said:

Am I supposed to answer this question? What is the purpose of this?

You said the playoffs are a must for next season. Usually there is a consequence when you fail to meet such a condition. I was asking what the consequence was. 

What other team makes the same stupid mistakes eveey game, 5-10 times a game? Its like they never have been coached to stop doing it. Its just utterly mind boggling...like its their goal.to set up the other team with prime scoring chances 5-10 times a game...I mean what other team does this stupid stuff? This has to be the dumbest team in the NHL...they never learn from their mistakes...they keep making the same ones every game.

70+ games and they STILL do the same idiotic things?? If the coach can't figure out how to teach them anything then why is he coaching the team? They are absolutely clueless in their own end. Housley has to go...when your players are still making the same mistakes in game 72 aa they are in game 1 that is garbage coaching. That should NEVER happen.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

What other team makes the same stupid mistakes eveey game, 5-10 times a game? Its like they never have been coached to stop doing it. Its just utterly mind boggling...like its their goal.to set up the other team with prime scoring chances 5-10 times a game...I mean what other team does this stupid stuff? This has to be the dumbest team in the NHL...they never learn from their mistakes...they keep making the same ones every game.

70+ games and they STILL do the same idiotic things?? If the coach can't figure out how to teach them anything then why is he coaching the team? They are absolutely clueless in their own end. Housley has to go...when your players are still making the same mistakes in game 72 aa they are in game 1 that is garbage coaching. That should NEVER happen.

You should write a strongly worded letter to the Sabres.