GDT Montreal Canadiens vs Buffalo Sabres 7:30pm ET 11/8/18

Andrew Amerk

29 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Flagg was talking about it all thread, but Price's downfall really needs to be discussed more. He's a 10.5M cap hit, for the next SEVEN YEARS, and he is no longer good. That's...hilarious ?

Of the 30 goalies to play 50 games or more since October 2017, Carey Price is dead last in save percentage.

(Tied with, you guessed it, Jake Allen)

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

The next goal the Sabres scored will be their 50th. They’ve played 16 games.

Last year they didn’t score their 50th until game 22.

Theyve scored 4 goals or more in 6 of their past 9 games. They did it six times in their first 26 games last year.

The past five years, they have finished 24, 26 and dead last 3 times in goals for. Right now we are tied for 13th.

It’s water in the freaking desert.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

The next goal the Sabres scored will be their 50th. They’ve played 16 games.

Last year they didn’t score their 50th until game 22.

Theyve scored 4 goals or more in 6 of their past 9 games. They did it six times in their first 26 games last year.

The past five years, they have finished 24, 26 and dead last 3 times in goals for. Right now we are tied for 13th.

It’s water in the freaking desert.

They're still only 20th in goals per game - the league-wide scoring is ridiculous this year, as our clip of >3 GPG is more than enough to be a good team.

I turned it off after Deslaurier's goal, had to get two hours of sleep before work.  Holy crap, no D in this game... run and gun... Looks like the goalies need to check into a psych clinic for PTSD...  Glad the Sabres won... So Risto can only hit the net from the off wing... maybe put him at winger when the Sabres find a D.  Looks like he's the guy we all hope Thompson becomes.  Yeh I've been checking the out of town scoreboards and wow scoring is up... Canucks are feasting...  seriously 7 on the Bruins... Would love the know if it is a combo of goalie equipment, changing the way game is called especially slashing and hooking?

Glad they won...

Montreal had them all messed up tonight.  They were rushing pucks, out of position, and making mistakes all over the place.  Ullmark seized up.  It looked like it would be bad and they still found a way.

Wins like this are what help move teams forward.

• Like (+1) 1

Tonight is an example of how good teams find a way to win.  We didn’t have our A game.  Risto even admitted that he screwed up on the game winning play 

so how did they win?  Good coaching by taking Ullmark out.  Kill penalties including 2 5 on 3s.  Depth scoring.  Mostly by trusting the system of keep shooting, keep skating and out work the other team.

3 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Uh? 

Victory! 

The three of them together offer zero speed. I don’t really see Rodrigues as a blazer out there but he could go 490 MPH and it wouldn’t matter if it takes the other two seven hours to get up ice. They spent most of their power play backpedaling and then hugging thankfully.

Risto’s slapper was basically a “let’s get off the ice” dump in that Price missed. That was fun considering all the scoring in the game.

4 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'm with pi, I hate this game

It's a shooting gallery against us 

I'm happy for the win, but man... So many poor defensive plays... guys out of position, poor puck management, lack of respect, no sense of urgency, allowing too much time and space, untimely lack of saves.. just not doing that hockey very good.

7 hours ago, darksabre said:

This felt like a GDT from ten years ago

Takes me back to around when I joined. And even at that: It would’ve been post black Sunday.

(Edit: I actually joined post 2006 season. Huh.)

7 hours ago, Eleven said:

Streamable of the winning goal and, umm, the "celebration":  https://streamable.com/2xbjk

Someone will undefile the stick, I'm sure.  Maybe some holy water or chlorine or something.

My guess was that it had something to do with Fortnite. That’s usually my guess when a young person does something I don’t understand.

6 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Risto's celebration was him shooting a gun...... he sniped the the goal on Price so he was doing the sniper celebration. 

But I was very happy to see this. Risto:Selanne::Michael Thomas:Joe Horn.

6 hours ago, Tondas said:

If he develops into Adam Oates, are we OK with that?  I mean an assist man, not really a goal scorer.

I guess I’d still pine for Adam Oates+. And I think that’ll happen.

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

The three of them together offer zero speed. I don’t really see Rodrigues as a blazer out there but he could go 490 MPH and it wouldn’t matter if it takes the other two seven hours to get up ice. They spent most of their power play backpedaling and then hugging thankfully.

Risto’s slapper was basically a “let’s get off the ice” dump in that Price missed. That was fun considering all the scoring in the game.

Rodrigues isn’t a fast player and Risto was merely trying to dump it in.

Dude. Maybe make that next workout a tough one. You got something that needs exorcising.

Edited by That Aud Smell

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Rodrigues isn’t a fast player and Risto was merely trying to dump it in.

Dude. Maybe make that next workout a tough one. You got something that needs exorcising.

Well this was incredibly unnecessary and a misrepresentation of what was said, but thanks!

I said Rodrigues isn’t a blazer. He’s fast. But he is the only one that was bringing speed there and if he’s not carrying it in or the puck isn’t in the zone well before him his speed is mitigated. As it was on that shift. Again, they were backpedaling. If you tie two anchors to a Bugatti it’s still a fast car but it’s not going to zip around. (Just so you don’t hop on this: Reinhart and Risto aren’t slugs but Reinhart especially is not what I would call a fast skater).

Obviously Risto wanted to score there. You want to score on every shot. But it was the end of a not-so-great shift when they had started a change. I think it was a “great if it goes in but at least I can get off if not” kinda situation.

Sorry I saw something different than you. Definitely must mean I’m possessed.

Edited by Hoss

7 hours ago, Eleven said:

They need to sign him to an extension whether the playoffs in 2019 look realistic or not.  He's the best long-term option for Eichel's wing and there's no need to shorten that long-term view to what might or might not happen this coming April.  Skinner is as much a part of the rebuild as anyone.

They do.  And I am really intrigued by the possibility of having Olofsson on their other wing next year presuming Pominville isn't back &/or won't be able to get where he needs to be for more than 20 games next year.  

Not saying it would definitely work, but if it does ...

Could also see next season's Thompson & this season's Reinhart getting a shot with those 2 at some point.

there was ceratinly a lot to not like about the game, goaltending, defense, but, let's just be happy they won a game where goaltending and defense wasn't good at all. like a few people said, good teams find a way to win even when they play poorly. we pumped Carey friggin Price for 6 goals, Jack and Jeff continue to keep scoring.

5 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I'm happy for the win, but man... So many poor defensive plays... guys out of position, poor puck management, lack of respect, no sense of urgency, allowing too much time and space, untimely lack of saves.. just not doing that hockey very good.

considering what we have seen the last 7-8 years, I wouldn't complain too much. We actually are able to score goals.....right now that's enough for me....don't look like a minor league team anymore

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Well this was incredibly unnecessary and a misrepresentation of what was said, but thanks!

I said Rodrigues isn’t a blazer. He’s fast. But he is the only one that was bringing speed there and if he’s not carrying it in or the puck isn’t in the zone well before him his speed is mitigated. As it was on that shift. Again, they were backpedaling. If you tie two anchors to a Bugatti it’s still a fast car but it’s not going to zip around. (Just so you don’t hop on this: Reinhart and Risto aren’t slugs but Reinhart especially is not what I would call a fast skater).

Obviously Risto wanted to score there. You want to score on every shot. But it was the end of a not-so-great shift when they had started a change. I think it was a “great if it goes in but at least I can get off if not” kinda situation.

Sorry I saw something different than you. Definitely must mean I’m possessed.

It was one of the most fun games in recent memory, and certainly among the more meaningful games the team's had in an age. I was grinding on my stationary bike this morning, reading through pages of a wide variety of fun-embracing posts. And then I read your post, and it popped as unduly negative. Looking at it again, I can see some of the context to which you're pointing. But, even so. C'mon, man.

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Price was quoted saying after the game:  ' I could have stopped that last shot, but they don't pay me to work overtime'  ?

In a sure marker of how casual my NHL fandom is (or has become during the Sabres woes): I was wholly unprepared for Carey Price being not good.

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

It was one of the most fun games in recent memory, and certainly among the more meaningful games the team's had in an age. I was grinding on my stationary bike this morning, reading through pages of a wide variety of fun-embracing posts. And then I read your post, and it popped as unduly negative. Looking at it again, I can see some of the context to which you're pointing. But, even so. C'mon, man.

In a sure marker of how casual my NHL fandom is (or has become during the Sabres woes): I was wholly unprepared for Carey Price being not good.

10.5 mill for the next 8 years, he better turn it around fast.   the fans already turning sour on him.    Then again besides the risto shot, I don't see many goals where he was really at fault.    Linus let 3 bad ones in.

Edited by Huckleberry

Just a thought:  Not every win is pretty.  

Last year they lose this game 5-1 or worse.  

This year despite D breakdowns, despite bad entries, despite other bone head plays and dumb penalties they found a way to win.  They also made some incredible plays.  Jacks faceoff win and pass  was an amazing play.  Erod’s shot pass was a highlight reel pass.  They also continue to go to the  dirty areas to score and they continue to play hard.

Remember this is a young team with many new parts still finding chemistry and still waiting for key players (Sam, Casey Ristolainen and Dahlin to name 4) to breakout.  

The second half of this season should be incredible as these kids mature and bond.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.