Sabres Trade Nick Baptiste to Nashville for D man Jack Dougherty

Brawndo

Yep, RHD. Lots of offence as a junior, hasn’t translated as a pro.

Skinny, good skater, puck mover. GA should be happy since I believe he is one of the defenders he thought Murray should have been targeting in wasted 2nd round of 2014.

And when we are healthy we have way too many D in Rochester.

I still think Baptiste is a bottom six NHL winger. Hope he gets a playoff run with the Preds.

Edited by dudacek

I'm pretty familiar with Dougherty from my STH days in Nashville. Both depth players, but good trade overall. Baptiste was never going to crack the lineup in Buffalo and Dougherty has legit NHL potential. The one thing David Poille does is draft and develop NHL-level defensemen. The Preds are so loaded on the back-end, they can afford to jettison guys like Dougherty. I like the move (although it probably won't be a big difference-maker from a W/L perspective).

• Like (+1) 1

RHD, age 22, 6’2, 196 lbs, drafted #51 overall by Nashville in 2014.  He played 1 year at the U of Wisconsin, then 2 full years in the AHL.  

Looks like he regressed last year after a solid pro debut season the prior year.  So maybe a guy with some potential who needs a change of scenery — kinda like Baptiste.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, erickompositör72 said:

Did someone in Nashville just go down after Nick cleared waivers? They coulda had him for free, right?

Just Ryan Hartman is injured for the Preds (forwards).

Don't the NHL rules say if you pick a guy up off of wavers he must be assigned to your NHL team? As in he can't go straight to the AHL-level? I thought that was the case, but am not sure.

Dougherty is an RHD, Phil had a hand in this I'd imagine. I remember reading something about Dougherty and Housley, Minnesota, something about Phil was very high on him due to some tournament? Can't really remember, I'll look it up.

edit: can't find anything, maybe it was at the 14 draft when they selected him, I just remember the connection being brought up with this kid.

Edited by Scottysabres
  • Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Dougherty, a -15 in 63 games with the Admirals last year.   Yay.

LOL plus/minus...

Also: Housley has coached Dougherty before. GM Captain Jack also played with him with team USA for a year.

40 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

Did someone in Nashville just go down after Nick cleared waivers? They coulda had him for free, right?

Making this trade allows them to send Baptiste down. If they claimed him they would’ve had to waive him again to get him to Norfolk.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

LOL plus/minus...

Also: Housley has coached Dougherty before. GM Captain Jack also played with him with team USA for a year.

Making this trade allows them to send Baptiste down. If they claimed him they would’ve had to waive him again to get him to Norfolk.

I knew I saw something about Phil and this kid. Hoss, can you get specific on the Housley/Dougherty connection? Thanks

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.