How good, Rasmus Dahlin?

dudacek

Rasmus Dahlin  

80 members have voted

1. 1. What are your expectations for Rasmus Dahlin this year?

• He'll win the Calder and be the first rookie defenceman to score 50 points in this century
    • He'll get about 40 points and be the Sabres best defenceman by the end of the year
    • He'll look surprisingly poised and total around 30 points
    • He'll have flashes of brilliance and times where he'll be asked to watch and learn, scoring about 20 points
    • He'll have a disappointing season and be in and out of the lineup
  2. 2. What are your expectations for Rasmus Dahlin over the next 15 years?

• He will be the consensus best defenceman of his generation
    • A regular all-star, among the top half-dozen or so defencemen
    • Among the best Sabres defenceman of all-time but not among the league's all-time elite
    • A good, but not great NHL defenceman — Brian Campbell-esque
    • He'll be OK, but mostly disappointing, Jason Woolley maybe?
    • The worst bust since Greg Joly

As an aside, I’m not a fan of “Because Buffalo”.

Life has given me enough experience to recognize that sentiment in my original inquiry.

It has not yet given me the discipline to avoid it at all times.

Family history of Rheumatoid Arthritis, an autoimmune inflammatory disease, Mom, Sister and Brother all have it. There are blood teststhat can be performed that monitor inflammatory markers. Per reports out of Sweden his are negative.

I did not look at his medical records or do his physical at the combine, so there is no HIPPA Violation ;)

Dangit man... I spent years crafting medical center security policies.... it's HIPAA.. HIPAA.. two As!!!!!  :)

Edited by LTS

Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. Was meant to establish ways for the Health Industry to establish a network to share patient information while provide standards to protect patient privacy. Network still a work in progress and information is shared better, but no universal system has been established.

He was 16 then...

“It feels exciting when so many good players talk about me,” [Dahlin] said. “It’s amazing. I’m feeling like I want to be better and better and better because I’m on a good path, and why stop? You know what I mean? I can’t explain it in English but, like, when I hear that, I get a boost inside me and just go out and train and work hard.”

This parts for you pi

Dahlin also contradicts the stereotype of Europe-based defensemen needing time to adjust to the North American-sized ice surface, which forces them to make much quicker decisions as forecheckers harass them in the corners. The last 18-year-old rearguard to jump from playing in a Euro league directly to the NHL in his draft year was Aki Berg 23 years ago, unless you count Oliver Kylington getting one game in 2015-16. Luca Sbisa, Rostislav Klesla, Nikita Zadorov and Mikhail Sergachev fast-tracked to the NHL at 18 but played their draft years in major junior. Hedman went right to the NHL but was 19. As Ronnberg explained, Dahlin is set to buck the trend of learning curves for Euro-league imports because he does his best work in tight spaces. He excels in the more claustrophobic drills at practice and in any games Frolunda plays on smaller ice surfaces because he makes smart decisions so much faster than the average player.

So what, then, is a fair expectation for Dahlin in 2018-19? The Calder Trophy? The greatest rookie year by a defenseman this millennium? It’s tough to marry hype with realistic expectations. Given the overwhelming praise for Dahlin’s game, 40 points doesn’t sound like asking too much, does it? And yet, amazingly, only two rookie defensemen in NHL history have topped 40 points after starting a season 18 years old: Hall of Famers Phil Housley (66) and Bobby Orr (41). Ekblad’s epic freshman campaign in 2013-14 yielded 39 points. Only five teenaged defensemen have won the Calder Trophy – Orr, Ekblad, Ray Bourque, Berard and Tyler Myers, and only Orr and Ekblad did it in their age-18 seasons. So expecting or demanding the Calder out of Dahlin is asking him to be, well, legendary in Year 1. Then again, every bit of analysis from those scouting and coaching him thus far says he will be just that.

Whatever Buffalo asks of Dahlin, none of the conjecture seems to faze him. He instead uses it as kindling. He says he can’t wait for the opportunity to go up against the best players in the world.

Are his nerves really that steely? If McDavid zooms into his zone, will Dahlin really think, time to take him out, and not, Oh, s--t?

“I would think both things,” said Dahlin with a hearty laugh. “ ‘Oh s--t, he’s coming,’ and then I would think, ‘I have to get him.’ ”

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/sabres-savior-meet-do-it-all-defender-rasmus-dahlin

Edited by WildCard

The Athletic on Dahlin and The Generational Tag

It was no surprise to see Swedish defenceman Rasmus Dahlin as the top-pick though there was disagreement about whether he is in fact a “generational talent.” It seems like each year there’s another player being slapped with that label, so a question was posed as to whether it was a fair assessment or more so a media construct.

“While he is pretty special, I think that term is getting a little overused,” said one NHL scout. “For various reasons we have to keep building these guys up.”

“I think by definition a ‘generational talent’ is the best player of his generation,” said another scout. “Therefore, some of these generational talents should likely be labelled as stars. Rasmus is more of a star than a generational talent as of now.”

“I think for the most part it is a media construct but I do believe as a whole, players are getting better each year because of the on ice and off ice training programs all of the kids are on starting at a young age,” said a third scout. “I think Dahlin very well could end up being a generational talent but so much goes into being in the right place at the right time. He is definitely built for today’s game.”

“Generational talent gets thrown around too much,” said yet another evaluator. “By definition we should only see a few of these players in our lifetime, right? It’s not fair to put that type of label on any 17/18-year-old player. Franchise player seems more realistic. He looks like a player to build your team around.”

When asked about the talent level as a whole for this draft class, most of the scouts gave it high marks, though there was some dissent.

“I think this will go down as one of the weaker ones in recent memory,” said an NHL scout. “There are some very good players in the top 10-15, and then there is a drop off. I also think the number of players that make it after being late selections will be real low from this group. I expect a lot of second (time) eligibles and older (players) taken.”

“I might like the top 10 a bit more than last year but after (that) I can’t see a significant difference to former drafts,” said another talent evaluator.

A number of scouts, however, said there was a steep talent drop — particularly after pick No. 10 and then again after the second round. Many also saw this draft as “all over the board” in terms of how it will play out.

“(Pick No.) 40 could end up better in the end than (pick No.)

Edited by Brawndo

I read that this morning.  I like it.  We need to stop using that adjective so freely.

Louis CK does a bit about this. People use terms like amazing to describe a damn cheeseburger these days so now when something truly amazing like Casey Mittelstadt (PBUH) is put before our very eyes there's not really any words to describe it since we already wasted the good descriptive words on lesser things.

That's marketing.. and our need, especially in this country, to make everything bigger than it needs to be.

We're not a country based on information, we're a country based on who can yell it the loudest or make it the biggest.

See also: GOAT.

That's marketing.. and our need, especially in this country, to make everything bigger than it needs to be.

We're not a country based on information, we're a country based on who can yell it the loudest or make it the biggest.

Kinda of like NYC and all its stuff is the greatest ever. But you have to live in a shoe box and deal with constant noise. Again it has its plus and minuses... greatest meh. Seattle is better in the summer imo. Glacier National Park is incredible, so is southern Utah. The Berkshires are relaxed and the Finger Lakes wonderful, but give me the 30,000 Islands and clean water of Georgian Bay any day. All are unique and have parts I like and others meh..

GOAT has to be the worst acronym of all time.  The word itself is one of the biggest negative labels in the history of sports.  Maybe you can re-purpose that in the written form, but I constantly hear people pronouncing it in conversations.  I can't wait until Tom Brady throws a last second back breaking interception costing them the game and their season later this year.  That should make for some very confusing sports radio.

And yes, I realize that calling it the worst acronym of all time plays into your post perfectly.

GOAT has to be the worst acronym of all time. The word itself is one of the biggest negative labels in the history of sports. Maybe you can re-purpose that in the written form, but I constantly hear people pronouncing it in conversations. I can't wait until Tom Brady throws a last second back breaking interception costing them the game and their season later this year. That should make for some very confusing sports radio.

And yes, I realize that calling it the worst acronym of all time plays into your post perfectly.

True, but some words change their meaning over time, and in the context of sports, it seems as though “Greatest of All Time” has effectively become the new accepted primary use of the word “goat” in a sports context. “The hero and the goat” version seems, at least to me, much less prevelant across the board.

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.