Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

22 hours ago, Doohickie said:

This doesn't bother me at all.  I hate listening to national sports crews murder a Sabres broadcast.  Fewer times would be better.

Agree to disagree.   As far as color commentators go, Eddie Olczyk, Pierre McGuire, Keith Jones, Ray Ferraro, & Mike Johnson are all superior to Rob.  And while this might sound blasphemous,  all the current National Broadcasters in Canada, and US are better than Rick.  Not Rick in his prime, but Rick today.   And Doc Emerick IS the Gold Standard for Play by Play.  Of course you love Ricks voice and excitement he brings when the Sabres score (which is all too infrequent these days), but the lack of effort on this team really shows when you compare to even that of other local broadcast teams, let alone the National team.   I listen to the opposition broadcast about 50% of the time on Centre Ice.   You can tell they have each watched the last 2-3 Sabres games in preparation and have insight on their recent play.   I HATE the Bruins, but Brickley and Edwards know their shite.  And not just bullet points they received from the Sabres PR staff.   Lorenz is my Avatar because I appreciated his game on the ice, but equally for his efforts as a color commentator.   His observations about game  were incredibly more perceptive than Ray's.   His presence is missed in the booth. 

10 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Agree to disagree.   As far as color commentators go, Eddie Olczyk, Pierre McGuire, Keith Jones, Ray Ferraro, & Mike Johnson are all superior to Rob.  And while this might sound blasphemous,  all the current National Broadcasters in Canada, and US are better than Rick.  Not Rick in his prime, but Rick today.   And Doc Emerick IS the Gold Standard for Play by Play.  Of course you love Ricks voice and excitement he brings when the Sabres score (which is all too infrequent these days), but the lack of effort on this team really shows when you compare to even that of other local broadcast teams, let alone the National team.   I listen to the opposition broadcast about 50% of the time on Centre Ice.   You can tell they have each watched the last 2-3 Sabres games in preparation and have insight on their recent play.   I HATE the Bruins, but Brickley and Edwards know their shite.  And not just bullet points they received from the Sabres PR staff.   Lorenz is my Avatar because I appreciated his game on the ice, but equally for his efforts as a color commentator.   His observations about game  were incredibly more perceptive than Ray's.   His presence is missed in the booth. 

Your point is fair on Rob Ray.  And certainly RJ has declined.

But if you think Doc Emerick is the gold standard, umm, wow.  He breaks into stories in the middle of play, FFS!  The HNIC personnel are the gold standard.

And Jack Edwards is the worst I've heard--and that includes listening to Jim Gordon on WOR when I was a kid.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 2

I was forced to watch the Bruins feed once. It was terrible. There was so much homerism going on it made it unwatchable. Edwards is awful. When Doc actually shuts up about random and does play by play I enjoy it. Unfortunately there are times where he won't do that. Rob Ray has gotten better and I think I like him more as the years go by. He's the sidelines guy, who cares if he's good as long as he's okay. I wish Biron spoke better English (he speaks really well) because his between period stuff is great. I think Paul Hamilton called the prospect tourney in 2015 and I actually enjoyed his calls.

23 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Sorry to hear re Sekera. One of my favourite skaters to watch in the blue and gold, ever.

I always liked Sekera and always felt he was severely underrated by fans. Hopefully his recovery goes well and he can continue playing for a few more years. 

29 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I was forced to watch the Bruins feed once. It was terrible. There was so much homerism going on it made it unwatchable. Edwards is awful. When Doc actually shuts up about random and does play by play I enjoy it. Unfortunately there are times where he won't do that. Rob Ray has gotten better and I think I like him more as the years go by. He's the sidelines guy, who cares if he's good as long as he's okay. I wish Biron spoke better English (he speaks really well) because his between period stuff is great. I think Paul Hamilton called the prospect tourney in 2015 and I actually enjoyed his calls.

Hamilton also did a regular season game a few years ago.  He is absolutely excellent at play-by-play.

11 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Agree to disagree. 

The problem with any "national"  coverage is that they all have Monday Night Football syndrome, by which I mean they try to make the game and many players in it more important than they are ("perhaps the BEST GOALIE TO EVER PLAY THE GAME!"  And then next week's goalie will be the best, etc., ad nauseum.)  Also, they try too hard to sell the game to non-hockey fans, which leads to the Doc Emerick and others talking about players' hometowns and other such trivia that has NOTHING to do with the play of the game while there's an actual game being played.  Seriously, if I can't get the Sabres feed I usually just turn the sound down and save my sanity.

Edited by Doohickie

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

He clearly wants to do more of it, too.

For my taste: I think he's good at it - but not great.

For my taste: he's good enough to do some college hockey and other similar-level hockey, not near NHL standards.

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

Your point is fair on Rob Ray.  And certainly RJ has declined.

But if you think Doc Emerick is the gold standard, umm, wow.  He breaks into stories in the middle of play, FFS!  The HNIC personnel are the gold standard.

And Jack Edwards is the worst I've heard--and that includes listening to Jim Gordon on WOR when I was a kid.

Emerick also feels the need to routinely tell you former teams of players during his play-by-play.  I don't know about anyone else, but if I'm watching a Sabres-Bruins game, I don't care that Okposo is a former Islander.

Doc is EXTREMELY good at what he does. One of the best in the business. His style might not be the best for you but that’s a taste thing, not an ability thing (in my opinion).

I enjoy his voice and presentation most of the time. I think him being paired with Pierre so often turns people off a bit. Doc and Ferraro are a great duo.

It’s like musical genres. I don’t like certain kinds but can respect that they’re damn good at what they do.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I was forced to watch the Bruins feed once. It was terrible. There was so much homerism going on it made it unwatchable. Edwards is awful. When Doc actually shuts up about random and does play by play I enjoy it. Unfortunately there are times where he won't do that. Rob Ray has gotten better and I think I like him more as the years go by. He's the sidelines guy, who cares if he's good as long as he's okay. I wish Biron spoke better English (he speaks really well) because his between period stuff is great.

I remember the last Bruins feed I watched, the play-by-play guy kept being outraged when a delayed penalty was whistled, because he didn't think the Sabres had true possession. It was a bit waaay to much.

I do remember them being very complimentary of Vanek the night he had a hat trick against them, so it's not beyond them to praise another team. They were very bitter when the 30th/31st ranked Sabres were beating them, though ?

And I thought Biron's English is fine- he just has a heavy Quebecois accent- no?

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Emerick also feels the need to routinely tell you former teams of players during his play-by-play.  I don't know about anyone else, but if I'm watching a Sabres-Bruins game, I don't care that Okposo is a former Islander.

"Eichel passes it to Okposo, the former Islander and Minnesota native.  Kyle Okposo is into woodworking; he and his father run a reclaimed furniture shop in Edina in the offseason. And Marchand strips the puck and scores! And just like that it's 1-0 Boston. Well how about that.  Okposo, whose wife just gave birth to their ninety-seventh child on Tuesday, gives up the puck to Marchand and Marchand buries it."

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Doc is EXTREMELY horrible at what he does. One of the worst in the business. His style awful (this is a verifiable fact).

I abhor his voice and presentation all of the time. I think him being paired with Pierre so often turns people off a lot. Doc and Ferraro are an awful duo.

Fixed that for you.