ROR, to keep or not to keep

LGR4GM

This has been in numerous threads and deserves its own. Are you keeping or trading ROR this summer? I keep him unless the trade offer blows me away. He takes the hardest defensive minutes and he keeps Mittelstadt in a sheltered role which is needed this season. 

I think there would definitely be a market, but I would expect a large return, and they don't need to trade him, so my guess is he's back. 

I like the idea of the centers for the Sabres being Eichel - O'Reilly - Mittelstadt

The emotion of the immediate post-season had me all "ROR's gotta go. I don't care about all the terrific things he does. HE'S GOTTA GO."

That seems like a dumb take now.

Hell - it seemed like one then, a bit.

Unless you're getting a legitimate top-pairing D-man, I don't see how you move a guy who does everything he does.

In a couple years, ROR's salary decreases (while the cap goes up) which may make him more attractive to a potential suitor.  But right now I think his salary will discourage another team from offering enough to make JBot pull the trigger (and I don't think we should retain any of his salary on a contract that goes through 2023).

Edited by Doohickie

Must keep.

I am sick and tired of all the remotely good players being traded away for junk, or prospects / picks, or whatever.

ROR is damn good at hockey. A bit of an oddball (reminds me of Oddball, actually), but who isn't?

Excuse me, but ROR is Moriarty. Always with the negative waves.

This team needs an Oddball. Woof woof woof.

Excuse me, but ROR is Moriarty. Always with the negative waves.

This team needs an Oddball. Woof woof woof.

I just meant that he wears an awesome beard.

OK, OK.  You can be our very own Oddball.  You do have an uncanny likeness to the slightly more famous Oddball.

This has been in numerous threads and deserves its own. Are you keeping or trading ROR this summer? I keep him unless the trade offer blows me away. He takes the hardest defensive minutes and he keeps Mittelstadt in a sheltered role which is needed this season. 

https://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/25757-to-trade-or-not-to-trade/

Mods please merge...

If ROR goes then Sam may need to. Don’t see him fitting in with anyone else.

Reinhart & Eichel play well together. Reinhart & O'Reilly play better with each other. IF ROR is traded, Jack has found his RW.

But really don't expect to see either of those 2 traded. As others have mentioned, Sam is the only top 6 W currently proven W on the roster & trading ROR creates a huge hole at C that a rookie will not be able to fill.

Unless Botterill gets an offer he can't refuse or someone is singled out as THE dressing room issue, can't see any of Eichel, O'Reilly, Reinhart, Mittelstadt, Scandella, Ullmark, nor #1 overall pick traded. And expect that Ristoleinen is nearly as likely to be back.

Change is coming, but 30% of that is Ullmark, Mittelstadt, Dahlin, Pilut, & new 1B goalie.

Reinhart & Eichel play well together. Reinhart & O'Reilly play better with each other. IF ROR is traded, Jack has found his RW.

But really don't expect to see either of those 2 traded. As others have mentioned, Sam is the only top 6 W currently proven W on the roster & trading ROR creates a huge hole at C that a rookie will not be able to fill.

Unless Botterill gets an offer he can't refuse or someone is singled out as THE dressing room issue, can't see any of Eichel, O'Reilly, Reinhart, Mittelstadt, Scandella, Ullmark, nor #1 overall pick traded. And expect that Ristoleinen is nearly as likely to be back.

Change is coming, but 30% of that is Ullmark, Mittelstadt, Dahlin, Pilut, & new 1B goalie.

Good summary. I agree. 

Phil and Botterill need to have a talk about ROR and their plans together. If Botterill would like to keep ROR for the duration of his contract, ie, won't be trading him until it's too late (he's already fallen off), then Phil needs to fundamentally adjust ROR's usage the same way Babs did for Zetterberg and Datsyuk to extend their shelf lives. ROR is more pressing because the dude is already slow. 

If they're thinking that he may have to be moved for locker room issues or whatever, or they have an offer like Hamilton that they really like, or expect to make a move a year down the road when Mitts is established or something, then Phil can do whatever he wants with ROR. 

Whatever happens, they need to be on the same page. Roster acquisitions and development should be made with this plan in mind, and not in a vacuum a la Darcy/Murray/every bad GM ever.

Of all of TM’s moves this is the one that has always made the most sense.

To compete a team needs to be strong down the middle and with Jack, ROR and a developing Casey, the Sabres are strong down the middle. Why ruin that by trading away ROR when we have no idea if Casey is ready for 3rd line duty much less 2nd line duty.

We also need ROR’s skills in the faceoff circle. We also need ROR to protect Casey for another year or two while the kid learns the ropes.

Ultimately I’m for keeping ROR long-term. If Casey develops as we hope and someone like Asplund looks good for the 3rd line cente role, ROR can be moved to LW to strength us there.

I'm all for trading ROR, but not for 2 more years. Casey needs sheltered minutes, his contract will be much more attractive and affordable meaning that he can get back a much greater return, and hopefully by then enough of our holes are filled in our lineup so that a trade like that can fill any that are left.

Where we are at we can't afford to trade ROR right now. In 2 years, if that's the case, then Jbots hasn't done his job.

I'm all for trading ROR, but not for 2 more years. Casey needs sheltered minutes, his contract will be much more attractive and affordable meaning that he can get back a much greater return, and hopefully by then enough of our holes are filled in our lineup so that a trade like that can fill any that are left.

Where we are at we can't afford to trade ROR right now. In 2 years, if that's the case, then Jbots hasn't done his job.

I disagree.  If ROR performs well in the Blue and Gold between now and then, establishes himself as a core piece, consistently wins a high percentage of faceoffs, and shows no sign of slowing down, he may provide more value to the team than the players/picks he could be traded for.  If JBot does his job, he can build the team into a contender without having to give up ROR and what he brings to the team.

In a couple years, ROR's salary decreases (while the cap goes up) which may make him more attractive to a potential suitor.  But right now I think his salary will discourage another team from offering enough to make JBot pull the trigger (and I don't think we should retain any of his salary on a contract that goes through 2023).

We should never have to retain on O'Reilly's contract. It was a 7 year $52.5 million deal but they've already paid him $20 million in 2 seasons. After July 1st, they will have paid him another $7.5 million, so he'll only have $25 million left to pay with 5 full seasons left on his deal. If/when they do wish to trade him, all the budget teams will be happy to get him on July 2nd once his bonus is paid and then they'll only be on the hook for his $1 million salary that season. Instead of retaining on his contract they just need to trade him on/after July 2nd of whatever year they decide to trade him.

I would definitely hold onto him for the 2018-2019 season at a minimum though. I'd rather have Eichel and Lord Casey (pbuh) focus on putting the puck in the net while O'Reilly carries the load defensively. After that it would depend on what the offers are, and how Mittelstadt looks at center. If they do plan to trade him in a year or two they should go ahead and ride O'Reilly into the dirt though. For one we won't have to worry about his body breaking down as he ages since that will be the problem of the team who gets him, but also because all that ice time will help keep his production higher than it would be if he had more reasonable minutes so it should increase his trade value.

I disagree.  If ROR performs well in the Blue and Gold between now and then, establishes himself as a core piece, consistently wins a high percentage of faceoffs, and shows no sign of slowing down, he may provide more value to the team than the players/picks he could be traded for.  If JBot does his job, he can build the team into a contender without having to give up ROR and what he brings to the team.

+1,000

If he's an unmanageable problem in the room, goodbye. It's risky, but I think less risky than keeping a Debbie Downer around (if that's what he is) especially when he's supposed to be one of your franchise guys w/ respect to role (top 2 Center) and compensation.

Hopefully w/ the new talent and a "C" on Eichel they get off to a great start in Oct.  ROR can do his thing on the ice while the kids light it up, and we can enjoy some Ws.

I have full faith in JBot to make it happen.  Disclosure: I had full faith in GMTM too.

Edited by bcsaberks

I haven't kept up with it too much, but why is it such a bad thing for a highly competitive guy to say that he is sick of losing and that all the losing has worn him down and eroded his love for the game? Seems to me that it is a very honest statement by a guy who is/was legitimately frustrated... that has now morphed into "he is a problem in the locker room."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.