Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

I'm not ready to give up on Reinhart either.  But Faulk is going to be costly.

I'd rather keep Reinhart and the current D.

I feel the same way about using Reinhart to get Faulk. Would’ve considered giving him up for Hanifin.

I would love to add Faulk if possible, though.

50 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Faulk is a good player, but it's likely his reputation exceeds his current level of play. He'd be a clear upgrade on the right side, but I'm not breaking the bank for him. 

I think he had just one sort of down year. I don’t feel it’s likely that’s who he is now.

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Faulk is a good player, but it's likely his reputation exceeds his current level of play. He'd be a clear upgrade on the right side, but I'm not breaking the bank for him. 

Agree.  IF they can get him for a package similar to GA's proposal, then pull the trigger Mr. Botterill.  But wouldn't want to give up on Reinhart for him at present.

i don't know if anymore big moves will be made between now and the start of the season, but I could see Sam eventually being moved for a decent package

He seems to me that he is going to be one of those "Good but not great" kinda players, like maybe a Vanek, where he is over valued here expecting him to be a super star but vlaue by other teams as a decent/good player to fill out a roster.

Back to Faulk.

We have made 3 comparable trades of late.  I consider a top 4 D worth about the same as a top 6 winger and a little less then a top 6 center in general.  Contract size, age and contract term also play into it.

Jbot has made the following moves

1) Kane (UFA) at the deadline - return:  a 1st in 2019, a medium prospect (O’Regan) and 2019 4th rd pick from the Sharks.  Sporting news rated the trade an F from our prospective.

2) Skinner (1 yr left) over the summer - Return to Car - a 2nd in 2019, a solid propsect (Pu), a 3rd in 2020 and a 6th in 2020.  ESPN gave Jbot an A for this deal.  However, using draft pick value charts and the value of the Kane and Skinner deals are similar.  

3) ROR (5 yrs left at 7.5) over the summer - Return; a 1st in 2019 or 2020, a good prospect (Thompson), 2 established NHL vets (Sobotka and Berglund - salary = 7.35 for the next two years) and a 2nd in 2021.  Sportings news gives us a B+ and St Louis an A.

So what is Faulk worth - in the end Carolina, if they trade him, will likely see something a little better then what we gave up for Skinner or received for Kane and less then we received for ROR.

So right now I’m expecting him to be traded for a late 1st rd pick, a roster play or two to help the cap space work and a medium prospect or 2nd draft pick.  How about McCabe, Larsson, a 1st in 2019 (most likely the Shark’s pick) and Bailey or O’Regan.

I’d also rather have Faulk then Karlsson.  I’m not parting with Risto and Reinhart, especially in the division.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

What?

Karlsson is a great player, but the cost to acquire him and the cost to pay him, is to much for this franchise at this point. Therefore, I’d rather have Faulk, who is a better fit for us right now and at the right cost both salary wise and cost of acquisition wise.

Karlsson cost = two of our top 3 players (Reinhart and Risto)

Faulk cost = McCabe, a 1st and other junk.

23 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Karlsson is a great player, but the cost to acquire him and the cost to pay him, is to much for this franchise at this point. Therefore, I’d rather have Faulk, who is a better fit for us right now and at the right cost both salary wise and cost of acquisition wise.

Karlsson cost = two of our top 3 players (Reinhart and Risto)

Faulk cost = McCabe, a 1st and other junk.

First, Dahlin, Casey and Skinner are each better than Reino and Risto.

Second, Faulk will cost more than McCabe and a low first.

Third, the bolded is a reasonable view, although I would make the trade I proposed in a heartbeat.

20 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

First, Dahlin, Casey and Skinner are each better than Reino and Risto.

Second, Faulk will cost more than McCabe and a low first.

Third, the bolded is a reasonable view, although I would make the trade I proposed in a heartbeat.

Dahlin, Casey and Skinner have played exactly 6 games for the Sabres between them.  It’s possible, maybe even likely that Dahlin and Casey become better players then Risto and Reino, but they aren’t right now.  Also Skinner is not a better player then Reino or Risto.  Skinner is at best a 60 pt player, Reino has a higher ceiling then that.  

Look at the Kane, RoR and Skinner deals,  a depth roster player (or 2), a medium to solid prospect and a low 1st is the rigth formula for a trade for Faulk.  Remember Waddell is trying to move Faulk, because he has been surpassed in the Carolina top 4 by Hamilton, Slavin, DeHaan and Pesce.  A 1st, Mccabe and a medium prospect is all Jbot will part with.

Losing to young stars who will be locked into reasonable long term contracts to get a very expensive 28 yr old D with maybe 2-3 left on his prime and who will cost as much in salary as the 2 young studs we’d be trading away is terrible asset management. It fills one hole, but creates two more in our top 6 F and top 4d.  Also trading these kids to Ottawa arms one of our boggest rivals for the future.  Getting Faulk solves the RHD issue at virtually no other cost to our lineup as Guhle steps in for McCabe.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

If you like Bogosian when he's healthy, you'd loooooove Faulk - Bogosian with some offensive ability. 

He was a lot more dependable 2-3 years ago. Now he plays sort of like a Shattenkirk-Yandle hybrid. ie, you can add him to a solid defenisve team in a very sheltered role, feeding him offensive minutes, but you'll get real bad results if you pretend he's a regular, normal, competent-everywhere top 4 D. 

We can't afford ANOTHER defenseman that requires such nuance, so unless it's at the expense of ever seeing Bogosian again, and adding another RHD that can play defense, I'm not interested in seeing a right side of Risto-Faulk-Bogo and neither are any of you, even if you think you are! 

Karlsson would be worth adding current-player-Eichel (not current-trade-value-and-potential Eichel) to Faulk to upgrade.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.