Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

59 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Dahlin, Casey and Skinner have played exactly 6 games for the Sabres between them.  It’s possible, maybe even likely that Dahlin and Casey become better players then Risto and Reino, but they aren’t right now.  Also Skinner is not a better player then Reino or Risto.  Skinner is at best a 60 pt player, Reino has a higher ceiling then that.  

Look at the Kane, RoR and Skinner deals,  a depth roster player (or 2), a medium to solid prospect and a low 1st is the rigth formula for a trade for Faulk.  Remember Waddell is trying to move Faulk, because he has been surpassed in the Carolina top 4 by Hamilton, Slavin, DeHaan and Pesce.  A 1st, Mccabe and a medium prospect is all Jbot will part with.

Losing to young stars who will be locked into reasonable long term contracts to get a very expensive 28 yr old D with maybe 2-3 left on his prime and who will cost as much in salary as the 2 young studs we’d be trading away is terrible asset management. It fills one hole, but creates two more in our top 6 F and top 4d.  Also trading these kids to Ottawa arms one of our boggest rivals for the future.  Getting Faulk solves the RHD issue at virtually no other cost to our lineup as Guhle steps in for McCabe.

Before any trade for Faulk.....what are your projected top six D pairings?

I've seen people who project Dahlin and McCabe on both sides, such as but not limited too.....

Scandella/Risto

Dahlin/Bogo

McCabe/Nelson

or

McCabe/Risto

Scandella/Dahlin

Guhle/Bogo

etc,etc,etc

Depending on your top six....would depend on who replaces McCabe.

25 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Faulk is just a non-physical and older Risto with a bit more offensive flair. He’s not really what we need.

I guess.  We need a RHD who can skate, move the puck, add some O and play more then 60 per season at an NHL level.  We have only have one and that is Risto.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If you look at my original post my top 6 pre trade is

Scandella Risto

Dahlin Bogo

McCabe Nelson

post trade

Scandella Risto

Dahlin Faulk

Guhle Bogo

Thanx for clearing that up...I did look for a post and didn't see one. I also looked in other threads to see what kind of thoughts people had for a line-up.

If we are going to trade someone such as Reinhart  I'd rather throw in some high picks and get a true #1 RHD so we could push Risto to 2nd pair. That would be the kind of upgrade I'd "like" to see. Problem is can we afford it AND where that #1 RHD will come from.

Remember, Ottawa gave up their 1st rd pick to the Avs. We on the other hand might have three....Hmmm.

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

So you are willing to give up Reinhart, someone else good, and the best 1st round pick we have for Karlsson? Keeping in mind Karlsson will get probably in the 8.5-9.5million dollar range for 8 years. 

I may have referred to that but not really locked into it being Karlsson. 

The money isn't really the issue, it's more the term that and going into the "twi-lite" years of his career. There is risk in signing any player for 8yrs.

If you are trading Reinhart you are looking at saving approx 6M/yr on his contract long term, then add in let's say McCabe, and then add in what you save on the 1st rd pick contract. Your not losing much over the years and Karlsson in a bad year puts up Reinhart points.

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

So you are willing to give up Reinhart, someone else good, and the best 1st round pick we have for Karlsson? Keeping in mind Karlsson will get probably in the 8.5-9.5million dollar range for 8 years. 

If TM were in charge......he'd make that deal

With Jbot in charge..... No way he makes that deal.

He just said today that he and Reino's agents are making progress on a deal.  Samson isn't going anywhere.

I'm not sure what Reinhart's production is. He put up 50pts last year on the worst team in the league. In 2 years or even 1 year, is Karlsson better or worse in production? Karlsson is probably good for a couple more 65-70pt season. That's probably where I would think Reinhart maxes out at IF IF IF he gets there. Tough call for sure. I worry about trading multiple pieces on a team without depth. 

20 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

i don't know if anymore big moves will be made between now and the start of the season, but I could see Sam eventually being moved for a decent package

He seems to me that he is going to be one of those "Good but not great" kinda players, like maybe a Vanek, where he is over valued here expecting him to be a super star but vlaue by other teams as a decent/good player to fill out a roster.

This touches on one of the reasons I want to keep Sam. With players like Eichel and hopefully Mittelstadt providing the star-powered end of our offense, having a guy with the potential and ability of a former 2nd overall pick, like Sam, in a situation where he's not expected to be one of the top go-to guys, could start creating some match-up issues for other teams if we ever start firing on all cylinders. 

• Like (+1) 1

The way this league is trending, there are only a handful of players who are worth the long term deal at 28/29 (at least at the range Karlsson is going to get)

There are far more players worth the long-term deal that gets them to 28/29.

You keep Reinhart... Karlsson is someone else's bad investment.  If you sign Reinhart to 6 years at his price tag he'll probably still be movable if he's not where you want him to be.  If you sign Karlsson you'll have to make one of those salary cap adjustment trades that can be pulled off but usually at the expense of one of your younger potential stars.

1 hour ago, LTS said:

The way this league is trending, there are only a handful of players who are worth the long term deal at 28/29 (at least at the range Karlsson is going to get)

I'd be curious to see who your list is.  My guess is that most, if not all of them will have signed that long term deal before they hit that 28/29 age.

5 hours ago, shrader said:

I'd be curious to see who your list is.  My guess is that most, if not all of them will have signed that long term deal before they hit that 28/29 age.

Tavares will start this season at 28. His contract will be an albatross soon enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, WildCard said:

@FriedgeHNIC
Erik Karlsson reached out to say: it is not accurate that he is unwilling to sign long-term with a Canadian team.

@FriedgeHNIC 30m30 minutes ago

I did try to talk to him further...but he said that was the only comment he will make.

I have reached the point with this Karlsson stuff where I'm starting to actively dislike him as a player just because he hasn't been traded. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

I have reached the point with this Karlsson stuff where I'm starting to actively dislike him as a player just because he hasn't been traded. 

Speaking of which, can we get the Complaint thread unlocked?

Edited by WildCard

On 8/22/2018 at 10:02 AM, nfreeman said:

Reinhart and Risto for Karlsson (assuming a contract extension is part of the deal).

Who says no?  (I am referring to JBott or Dorion.)

I do.  Karlsson, is going to slow down into his 30's and with the salary ($11.5-$12.5) that it's going to take to get him on a 6-7 year extension it's not worth it.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.