Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

15 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Trade menage-a-trois.  We have 3 1st round picks this year and some players that need new homes.  We just need that 3rd party to make the magic happen.

Question: Is a team still able to give an offer sheet to Nylander?  A sheet at 8M per would only cost a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.  Other than the league's extreme aversion to offer sheets why would a team pay much more than that now when they could have had the player for that months ago knowing the Leafs really wouldn't want to match?

Depends on the length of the offer sheet since offer sheets take the total money and divide it by just five if the contract is longer than five years.

I think there was word that Nylander wanted $8M but was recently willing to go slightly lower so he might actually be had around $7-7.5M which isn’t actually THAT bad.

I wonder, really, what it will actually take. I imagine they’d like the idea of guys like Risto and Reinhart as center pieces (and Mittelstadt but no).

Maybe they like good looking players and we can get him for Tage Thompson, Jake McCabe and the St. Louis first. But uh that’s not happening.

Just now, darksabre said:

Don't we have a buttload of first round picks to offer?

Based on just about everything being reported the Leafs will try to add a good win-now piece above all else. I doubt they care a ton about a couple firsts.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Don't we have a buttload of first round picks to offer?

Even if the Leafs would take futures, one fly in the ointment is we'd have to offload money, as we don't have anywhere close to enough cap space right now to pay him. When Moulson and Pominville come off the books after this year we'd be fine, but right now we'd have to free up around $7 million to sign him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Is there a deadline by which Nylander needs to report or have to sit for the year?  If so, that puts more pressure on Toronto than it does Nylander IMO.  I'm not sure what the situation would be after that.  Would Nylander still be an RFA? I think he would wouldn't he?  If he is still an RFA next summer Toronto is truly screwed.  They can't allow that to happen.  

As many other teams have shown us, you can pay teams to take a contract if you want to badly enough.

December 1st is the deadline, after that he cannot play in the NHL for any team this season 

From Friedman 

Given that Toronto has a ton of cap space this year, I wonder if they give Nylander what he wants....on a 1-year deal and then work a trade in the offseason. I have a hard time believing Nylander would want to sit out an entire season and lose an accrued year towards UFA plus an entire year of salary. OTOH, I can't see him showing up for some bargain basement deal either, given injury risk. Either way, I'm definitely surprised this has dragged out so long.

3 hours ago, pi2000 said:

TOR won't trade him.  They're just putting it out there in the media to try and force his hand.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he re-signed but if he does I don’t think it will be because the team is leaking this info. They’ve got three weeks to sign him. He knows this. He knows trade talks have to happen.

Could it be that Leafs are using this tactic to prove to Nylander and agent that he "might" not be worth as much as he thinks?

Do they get lets say 15 offers...throw out the 2 highest and 2 lowest, average the rest and come up with a value of ~$6.5M?  Then take that to him and say..."Look, league wide this shows your value at 6.5M we can't give you 8M without hurting the team".

Of course; this could backfire too.

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again

40 minutes ago, jsb said:

I don't think Buffalo is in the mix for Nylander, 1 because Toronto would never make that deal with us unless we overpay and 2, what do you have to give Skinner if you give Nylander 8M.

I agree.....but it doesn't stop the visions.

There has to be away. How does Pitt keep Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang for example. If anyone knows it might be JBot.

27 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

So will we actually be buyers at the trade deadline? If we keep playing this way I could see us adding something, even if only for defensive depth, but who knows what's available. 

...Maybe?  I wouldn't want a rental player (because we're not contenders yet) but if we can trade for a young player that will help here immediately and still be part of the team for the future, then I'd go for it.  That said, I'd like the Sabres to keep their three 1st round picks this year.  We'll need the young, affordable talent in a few years when we're paying the core guys we have now and it'd be nice to have extra picks in a loaded draft next year.  (It's still galling we had extra picks heading into the 2015 draft and ended up with less than 1 pick per round.  Thanks again, ZFG.)

I'm also hoping by the deadline that our defensive depth is better just from Pilut, Guhle, Borgen, etc., developing.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.