Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

On 7/10/2018 at 10:00 AM, shrader said:

I'm still hoping that someday Sebastian Aho will be traded for Sebastian Aho.  I feel like if anyone could do it, it would be the current Hurricane ownership.

But will one or both Ahos bend to fan pressure to change their number so the sweaters are still current?

On 7/10/2018 at 10:30 AM, Scottysabres said:

Tampa Bay, if they land Karlsson, has a real shot at an Edmonton of the 80's type Dynasty. Holy Stevie Y, unreal this guy gets players and contracts like that.

They haven't won a single cup with their current core, adding an aging Karlsson isn't going to make them a dynasty. It's more likely a move that makes them the favorite for that first cup (for this core), though. But anything more than 1 is still highly dicey IMHO.

Edited by Thorny

51 minutes ago, Thorny said:

They haven't won a single cup with their current core, adding an aging Karlsson isn't going to make them a dynasty. It's more likely a move that makes them the favorite for that first cup (for this core), though. 

Vogl’s latest in the athletic makes that point about cores signed to long-term deals or about to be.

Tampa’s is easily five years older than ours. Toronto, and to a lesser extent Florida are the teams with cores that are on the uphill side of their careers.

23 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

The tricky part for Stevie Y is to backfill the core with young talent to minimize the drop-off as their core ages.  What does their pipeline look like?

And how much of that do they give away if they're actually able to land Karlsson?

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

That seems like an insanely high number

They’ve done incredibly well. I’ve never seen anything like it. I do think their prospects get a hype boost purely because every prospect they’ve had has hit big at the NHL level.

Brett Howden, Anthony Cirelli, Cal Foote and Taylor Raddysh are their only elite prospects (not including this year’s draft class) right now, though.

Guys like Jake Dotchin, Slater Koekoek and a few others are good prospects who have already played a solid number of NHL games or are much lower level.

5 minutes ago, Hoss said:

They’ve done incredibly well. I’ve never seen anything like it. I do think their prospects get a hype boost purely because every prospect they’ve had has hit big at the NHL level.

Brett Howden, Anthony Cirelli, Cal Foote and Taylor Raddysh are their only elite prospects (not including this year’s draft class) right now, though.

Guys like Jake Dotchin, Slater Koekoek and a few others are good prospects who have already played a solid number of NHL games or are much lower level.

This is a really good point. I mean I could almost believe it just because at this point I'm 99% sure Stevie Y sold his soul to the devil for his wizardry, but if they have 10 prospects that are that solid...why the hell aren't we calling them? Granted we could be and we just don't know, but I have a real hard time believe we don't have something that they want to win now and get cap relief

Just now, WildCard said:

This is a really good point. I mean I could almost believe it just because at this point I'm 99% sure Stevie Y sold his soul to the devil for his wizardry, but if they have 10 prospects that are that solid...why the hell aren't we calling them? Granted we could be and we just don't know, but I have a real hard time believe we don't have something that they want to win now and get cap relief

I need to know who is evaluating the prospects.  It's amazing to see how certain people will universally overvalue pretty much every single prospect.  At best, I'd need to compare that source's number of so called worthy prospects to the number on other teams.  I know the number thrown out here was a generalization, but the point still stands, the number by itself means very little.

According to the survey of NHL executives that comprises the Hockey News Future Watch, prior to this draft, Tampa had the 13th ranked prospect pool.

They had three prospects ranked in the top 100: Foote 59, Katchouk 61 and Raddysh 62

For reference, the Sabres were 12th, with Mittelstadt 1, Nylander 13, Asplund 82, Guhle 96 and Davidsson 97.

Rankings take into account 21-and-under NHLers.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

According to the survey of NHL executives that comprises the Hockey News Future Watch, prior to this draft, Tampa had the 13th ranked prospect pool.

They had three prospects ranked in the top 100: Foote 59, Katchouk 61 and Raddysh 62

For reference, the Sabres were 12th, with Mittelstadt 1, Nylander 13, Asplund 82, Guhle 96 and Davidsson 97.

Rankings take into account 21-and-under NHLers.

Mittelstadt is the #1 overall ranked prospect?

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Mittelstadt is the #1 overall ranked prospect?

Of course he is.

More note worthy is Nylander at 13.  So, it's obvious who ever has put this poll together either has no clue, or has not watched Nylander play ... ?

And, the WC thingie is now officially my favourite thingie.

21 minutes ago, N S said:

Of course he is.

More note worthy is Nylander at 13.  So, it's obvious who ever has put this poll together either has no clue, or has not watched Nylander play ... ?

It’s a poll of NHL head scouts and executives - so, Chiarelli, Bergevin, Benning...

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Add those prospects onto second and first year 60 point players Point and Gourde. 

Gourde is 26 years old, but Point is included in Tampa’s ranking, as is Sergachev.

Not aimed at you Randall, but Gourde (just a year younger than BOgosian, try to get your head around that one) is one of those guys who makes me chuckle at “Nylander is a bust” type comments.

When Gourde was Nylander’s age he was playing as an overage junior because he couldn’t get a pro contract. When he was two years older than Nylander, he put up just 14 points in 54 AHL games.

Check out what Zucker was doing in his early 20s for another reference point.

We just need to have some of those things happen to us for once. Or did we use up all our karma points on Hasek?

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, dudacek said:

Gourde is 26 years old, but Point is included in Tampa’s ranking, as is Sergachev.

Not aimed at you Randall, but Gourde (just a year younger than BOgosian, try to get your head around that one) is one of those guys who makes me chuckle at “Nylander is a bust” type comments.

When Gourde was Nylander’s age he was played as an overage junior because he couldn’t get a pro contract. When he was two years older than Nylander, he put up just 14 points in 54 NHL games.

Was Gourde drafted as high? Did Gourde look completely lost at every level as every report of Nylander has said?

22 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Was Gourde drafted as high? Did Gourde look completely lost at every level as every report of Nylander has said?

No, and I didn’t watch him.

I did watch Nylander play a few games in the NHL this year and didn’t think he looked lost at all.

I also watched Nylander dominate at the WJC two years ago, look lifeless while putting up decent numbers at the WJC this year and be invisible during the Amerks playoff run. I also listened to Taylor and a few others talk about how well he played over the last six weeks or so of the season after being tentative and ineffective coming off his injury prior to that. I read about how he didn’t “earn” his numbers over that stretch, but that doesn’t change the fact he still produced at a 60 point pace and his coaches liked his game.

i don’t like Nylander’s game. I’m also not a big fan of Max Pacioretty’s game. But Pacioretty has proven that soft, skilled perimeter wingers can have success in the NHL. Nylander might be able to do the same.

I have my doubts, but I am not going to write a player off who just turned 20, especially considering the way Murray mishandled his development and how injury hampered the first half of his season last year.

I do expect him to be more of a factor for the Amerks this year.

Jason Pominville - with a similar game - put up 34 points for the Amerks during the season he turned 21. That’s the season Nylander is about to have. That’s what people need to remember.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, dudacek said:

When Gourde was Nylander’s age he was playing as an overage junior because he couldn’t get a pro contract. When he was two years older than Nylander, he put up just 14 points in 54 AHL games.

We just need to have some of those things happen to us for once. Or did we use up all our karma points on Hasek?

I had no idea. Still fits into the idea that Tampa has these people on or ready to be on ELCs to backfill talent, even if he's older. 

Also, yes, we get that Nylander is little. I bet Gourde played his ass off at that age, and doesn't display the things that actually make people question Nylander, and not the make believe stuff, like lack of production.

Edited by Randall Flagg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.