Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

Am I the only one that doesn't want Pacioretty?

On the last year of his deal and he's already 29, why would we want to get older and also pay him a premium as he turns 30?

It doesn't make sense for us to trade for him. He'd have to be in some package but Montreal has 0 assets. Just 3rd overall. Edited by Skurk Liger

@Flagg

I’d like to see the stories they fabricated. Seriously.

I recall three stories circulating around Kane:

That he would be traded (as opposed to being signed). Correct.

That the ask was a player, a prospect and a pick. No way of knowing if this was correct.

That when push came to shove, only San Jose made an actual offer. Again, no way of knowing if this was correct, but I seem to remember Botterill backing it up. It certainly doesn’t preclude that there wasn’t all sorts of tire-kicking that didn’t result in serious offers.

There is all sorts of rumour-mongering and made up stuff out there.

But in my experience the “insiders” talk to all kinds of hockey people and usually relay what they hear in a professional manner and with proper context. If they are speculating, they usually say so. If they have been told something, they usually say so.

I am sure they make deals with sources and I am sure they have been lied to and used. But I have never seen any evidence of fabrication.

More like “I hear Buffalo has been looking for goal-scoring left-wingers” and fans turning that into “Buffalo is trading O’Reilly to Montreal for Patches!”

It’s problematic to lump all the chatter out there as “they”. There are voices I trust and voices I don’t. I have found Friedman and Dreger can sometimes substitute blather for knowledge as they fill air on their numerous radio spots. But they are usually pretty good. McKenzie and Lebrun are almost unfailingly professional.

Fabrication is a huge charge. Show me.

Edited by dudacek

Im not sure, because I don't know if you remember, but I tore into those guys a couple months ago because they spent 3 months completely fabricating Kane trade stories before admitting that the Sabres got one serious call and it was the day of the trade deadline. They're garbage

What? They reported stories as they occurred. You really think if they completely fabricated stories for months that anyone would take them seriously? Come on

I like that JBOT is not buying out anyone.  Wise move.  Eat those contracts now and we will be cleared up to sign Dahlin and Mitts down the road long term.

Welcome to the board.

I agree with your take on this.  There is absolutely no need to buy anyone out at this point, but that could change once the dust settles July 1, or there abouts.

@duda

I'm in Maine with choppy wifi right now, "fabricate" might be a little loose with words, but I don't even have time to read your full post right now until I'm back and have time to respond in full, my apologies.

They use vague terminology to say literally nothing using a lot of words and basically weaved this Kane story that never ended up being the case, I remember that much. Ie, talked about noise and trade chatter and teams calling us until they told us that there was actually no activity on Kane during those months later, I was literally furious with them

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/parayko-for-ror.2504123/

Trade I'd make all day, would even add our 2nd round pick

Parayko + Berglund for O'Reilly + Bogosian.      

This is coming from a blues fan  :blink:

Not sure I could stomach adding pick #32. Parayko certainly answers some needs 1) young  2) top pairing RHD 3) peeper with a big shot from the blue line 4) still has room for improvement.

That still is not enough return for ROR. Absolutely gets my attention, but does not blow me out of the water. Dumping Bogo's contract is not enough icing on the cake.

Edited by oregelbundet oregelbunden

Not sure I could stomach adding pick #32. Parayko certainly answers some needs 1) young  2) top pairing RHD 3) peeper with a big shot from the blue line 4) still has room for improvement.

That still is not enough return for ROR. Absolutely gets my attention, but does not blow me out of the water. Dumping Bogo's contract is not enough icing on the cake.

Agreed Id want a second coming back not giving it away.

Bob McKenzie on TSN690 on Erik Karlsson trade rumours: “I think Vegas is well willing to take on the Bobby Ryan contract.”

This is how you severely devalue a trade asset

I think the return for Karlsson is going to be extremely underwhelming for Ottawa. Everyone knows he's leaving, especially after the Hoffman stuff. If it's not a sign and trade, they won't get anything back. Even if it is a sign and trade, there are questions about his health, and he'll want a ton of money, so the teams Ottawa can realistically send him to are what? maybe 3-6 teams? 

My point is, what is the point of devaluing that even more by throwing in Bobby Ryan? They're clearly in full rebuild mode, and he's only got 3 years left. Just keep him and eat the cap space to get you to the cap floor while you rebuild.

By the way, what the hell happened to him? He just completely fell off a cliff around 25 

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/r/ryanbo01.html

Edited by WildCard

I think the return for Karlsson is going to be extremely underwhelming for Ottawa. Everyone knows he's leaving, especially after the Hoffman stuff. If it's not a sign and trade, they won't get anything back. Even if it is a sign and trade, there are questions about his health, and he'll want a ton of money, so the teams Ottawa can realistically send him to are what? maybe 3-6 teams? 

My point is, what is the point of devaluing that even more by throwing in Bobby Ryan? They're clearly in full rebuild mode, and he's only got 3 years left. Just keep him and eat the cap space to get you to the cap floor while you rebuild.

By the way, what the hell happened to him? He just completely fell off a cliff around 25 

Got a big contract and then just said it apparently. 

Mike Hoffman has to be seriously reconsidering his choice of spouses.

Luckily for him, he hasn't tied the knot just yet.

You mean to tell me he couldn't tell this girl was grade A batshit from the start?

mike-hoffman-monika-caryk-7.jpg

No kidding.

You watch: Vegas is gonna land Karlsson and Ryan, and then Ryan is going to magically be good again and Ottawa fans will be apoplectic. 

You mean to tell me he couldn't tell this girl was grade A batshit from the start?

mike-hoffman-monika-caryk-7.jpg

You judge character by a picture?  Didn't know that.    Sounds like this is all the evidence they need... case closed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.