Casey Nelson Signs 2 year Extension

Brawndo

This is JBOT really getting it done.

Nelson probably could have jumped ship and based on what we saw from him last season he looked the part.

I was pleasantly surprised to read this headline.  I think it goes a long way to getting the Sabres where Jbot wants them.

Smart move on both sides to continue to see Casey have a shot at permanent success in the NHL.  With the excessive amount of LHD on the roster, it's helpful to have the extra RHD who did show some presence in PP and even strength moments.  This also pushes Tennyson to the AHL for good. (I'm hoping!)

Would you think more or less?

My initial thought is like the Sabres of Dom's era, being able to play with a superstar colleague could mean serious money come contract time. Having a true franchise defenseman will slot everyone else more in their intended roles and let them have success. He's going to make everyone else look good. I'm not sure that's well articulated, but I'm sticking with it!

My initial thought is like the Sabres of Dom's era, being able to play with a superstar colleague could mean serious money come contract time. Having a true franchise defenseman will slot everyone else more in their intended roles and let them have success. He's going to make everyone else look good. I'm not sure that's well articulated, but I'm sticking with it!

You said it fine. I’ve mentioned slotting before, and slotting players in their correct places gives them the best possibility to succeed. Risto isn’t a 1, but probably a great 3. Mccabe isn’t a 4, but he could be an excellent 5.

On the flip side, a bottom-pair D like Nelson would have to wonder if bringing the a new hotshot D pushes him into the pressbox or AHL.

On the flip side, a bottom-pair D like Nelson would have to wonder if bringing the a new hotshot D pushes him into the pressbox or AHL.

This was more my thought. Not like Nelson is projected to play with Dahlin.

Well, he's also more likely to learn some new things from Dahlin that will help his game.

Being around better players makes you a better player.  Anyone making it to this level has a general drive to perform and when the people around you start to perform better there is a natural inclination to step up your work and keep up.  It's a positive building process.

For whatever reason, I feel that the Sabres future outlook is not viewed as negatively by other players as it is by many fans.  I know I feel that this team is poised to make a massive turn around next season.

Yeah it's a competition, but I think Tennyson is an AHL talent while Nelson is a bonafide NHL dman.  Depending on who the Sabres bring in what happens in camp, sure he could start in the season in Rochester, but I think if that happened Nelson would be the first injury callup.

This was a pleasant surprise for me...I figured he'd try his hand with a more competitive team using the rationale that if he's playing with better players he'd set himself up for a much bigger contract his next go around.

Is it possible we're seeing the Dahlin effect?

This signing also gives me two thoughts: 1. Antipin is done on this team. 2. One of the asterisk'd players below is being moved one way or another this year.

Risto - Dahlin

Scandella - Bogo*

McCabe* - Nelson

Beaulieu*

Pilut

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.