Housley Should Have Until End of December

CallawaySabres

6 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

This, in a nutshell, is the issue.  There could be a conflict of interest here.  In the conflict of interest training I've taken, the guideline they give is this:  Avoid not just a conflict of interest, but even the appearance of a conflict of interest.

Not so much conflict of interest in a business sort of way but time committment and proper attention sort of way.  If that is what you meant, we agree.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I don't see how Karin Housley's career in politics would be a conflict of interest for Housley as a coach. An ethical conflict is generally understood as having some sort of interest in two different people, ventures, businesses, or whatever that are adverse to one another. So, say Housley's wife was taking a minority interest as an owner of the Wild, maybe. 

The fact that Housley's wife has a busy and active career might present a competing demand on his time and attention (which I sorta tend to doubt, tbh), but it's not a conflict.

Politics can be very demanding of family. Or very neglectful.  In someways it is good that Phil has his own career.  But kissing babies, standing there with your spouse and kids for big events are often needed and unlikely Phil has the time nor really cares about all that.  Problem is people pick up on that. It can be overcome but politics can strain relationships.  Think Stanley Cup final  intensity every two years for six months plus.

Edited by North Buffalo

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I don't see how Karin Housley's career in politics would be a conflict of interest for Housley as a coach. An ethical conflict is generally understood as having some sort of interest in two different people, ventures, businesses, or whatever that are adverse to one another. So, say Housley's wife was taking a minority interest as an owner of the Wild, maybe. 

The fact that Housley's wife has a busy and active career might present a competing demand on his time and attention (which I sorta tend to doubt, tbh), but it's not a conflict.

The potential conflict of interest I'm referring to is on the part of the Pegulas.  If they start letting their political relationship with Karin Housley affect hockey decisions, then it becomes a conflict of interest.  For instance, if they become big supporters of Karin and Phil treats the young players poorly, but they don't want to fire him for fear of alienating their new political friend, *that* would be a conflict of interest.

I personally don't feel they've crossed that line yet, but if HCPH runs the Sabres into the ground and the only reason he keeps his job is the owners' political coziness with his wife, that would be a COI.

Going back to my earlier comment, just the relationships involved here could lead someone to believe something untoward is going on, thus the appearance of COI comment.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Politics can be very demanding of family. Or very neglectful.  In someways it is good that Phil has his own career.  But kissing babies, standing there with your spouse and kids for big events are often needed and unlikely Phil has the time nor really cares about all that.  Problem is people pick up on that. It can be overcome but politics can strain relationships.  Think Stanley Cup final  intensity every two years for six months plus.

I think, though, that at least once training camp, and eventually the season proper, start, HCPC will be stapled to the team and making political appearances will not be on his radar.  It's easy enough for his wife to campaign without her husband by her side since he somewhat famously has a career of his own.  Whether their separate, but equally demanding, careers strain their marriage is another matter altogether (and frankly, none of our business).

If the Pegulas ever get to the point that political money and team money get mixed up, *that* would be a big conflict of interest, possibly even illegal.  (The fusion of team money and cable company money is what brought down Rigas.)

Edited by Doohickie

40 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

The potential conflict of interest I'm referring to is on the part of the Pegulas.  If they start letting their political relationship with Karin Housley affect hockey decisions, then it becomes a conflict of interest.  For instance, if they become big supporters of Karin and Phil treats the young players poorly, but they don't want to fire him for fear of alienating their new political friend, *that* would be a conflict of interest.

I personally don't feel they've crossed that line yet, but if HCPH runs the Sabres into the ground and the only reason he keeps his job is the owners' political coziness with his wife, that would be a COI.

Going back to my earlier comment, just the relationships involved here could lead someone to believe something untoward is going on, thus the appearance of COI comment.

Ah, gotcha.

Yeah - I don't see that. Yet, as you say.

Seems far more likely that the Pegulas give lots of money to politicians, and all of a sudden they had a potentially prominent one (with whose politics they agree, imo) connected to their organization. So they held a fairly lavish fundraiser.

If Phil stinks it up as a HC, I can't see them hesitating to fire him for a fresh second because they admire and want to support Karin's politics.

If that sort of thing were to come to pass, it would be end days, man.

13 hours ago, pi2000 said:

it's July, this is what we do.

what kind of puppies?

It's what happens in January as well.  The puppies are hypothetical.  None of you deserve real puppies.  ?

48 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Well, I've known professors, doctors, and others who have been married but their spouses spend most of the time in another state.  Everyone has their own kind of relationship. You could argue that's not the norm but it doesn't make it workable.  It's certainly not something I would participate in for an extended time.  But the people I know, they do it year after year after year.  What they do for personal interaction is an answer I don't have.  They could be cheating, they might be fine with it.  Who knows...

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

If the Pegulas ever get to the point that political money and team money get mixed up, *that* would be a big conflict of interest, possibly even illegal.  (The fusion of team money and cable company money is what brought down Rigas.)

I thought it was the family's piggy-bank personal use of money from the cable company that brought the whole thing down?

Also, how would the Pegulas mix up their political money and team money? Are you suggesting that the Pegulas would personally piggy-bank out of a PSE entity in order to contribute money to a political candidate?

Fwiw, the Pegulas donated $21,600 to Karin Housley's campaign - as individuals.

It's interesting, actually. Dale Tallon and others from the Panthers organization donated as well. As did the owner of the Preds (through his wife).

6 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I thought it was the family's piggy-bank personal use of money from the cable company that brought the whole thing down?

Also, how would the Pegulas mix up their political money and team money? Are you suggesting that the Pegulas would personally piggy-bank out of a PSE entity in order to contribute money to a political candidate?

Fwiw, the Pegulas donated $21,600 to Karin Housley's campaign - as individuals.

It's interesting, actually. Dale Tallon and others from the Panthers organization donated as well. As did the owner of the Preds (through his wife).

Again, I'm not accusing them of anything... just imagining where a cozy relationship with a political figure might go. 

You're right, it was the mixing of the personal use of company money.  It was my understanding that some of that money from Adpelphia went to keep the Sabres afloat (my memory of it at the time.... could be faulty).

I like to think the Pegulas are savvy enough to keep all this stuff straight, but I can see two or three possible lines of conflict when the owners support the coach's wife in a political endeavor.  I could tell you horror stories from personal experience about how innocent actions can be construed nefariously and lead to prosecution (not me personally but someone close to me).

2 hours ago, LTS said:

It's what happens in January as well.  The puppies are hypothetical.  None of you deserve real puppies.  ?

Well, I've known professors, doctors, and others who have been married but their spouses spend most of the time in another state.  Everyone has their own kind of relationship. You could argue that's not the norm but it doesn't make it workable.  It's certainly not something I would participate in for an extended time.  But the people I know, they do it year after year after year.  What they do for personal interaction is an answer I don't have.  They could be cheating, they might be fine with it.  Who knows...

Again its an added strain and distraction which may be ok for them or cause problems.  Just saying it adds another level of intensity to relationships that can be hard on them.

If Karin (and Phil) were democrats....

1. Would they have hired him in the first place?
  2. Would they have hosted a party and donated money to her campaign?
  3. Would Phil have been fired by now?

...these are the questions that are raised, and seeing how fervently they're supporting her.... it's like the answer to the first question is "No".

• 3 months later...

Hoo boy.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/karin-housley-minnesota-michelle-obama-facebook-comments_us_5bc10538e4b0bd9ed55a2663

“Michelle is soooo far from cool. Don’t we expect our First Ladies to at least stand up straight? (And my dear sister, know the proper etiquette and DO NOT TOUCH THE QUEEN!),” [Karin] Housley wrote on her Facebook wall.

In the comment thread on her post, Housley said the chimpanzee in the 1951 film “Bedtime for Bonzo,” starring then-actor Ronald Reagan, likely had better posture than Mrs. Obama.

“I do miss Nancy Reagan. Ronald even more. Speaking of Bedtime for Bonzo, I think even that chimp stood up straighter than Michelle,” Housley wrote. “Uh-oh, someone is going to make a comment.” 

Edited by That Aud Smell

25 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Hoo boy.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/karin-housley-minnesota-michelle-obama-facebook-comments_us_5bc10538e4b0bd9ed55a2663

“Michelle is soooo far from cool. Don’t we expect our First Ladies to at least stand up straight? (And my dear sister, know the proper etiquette and DO NOT TOUCH THE QUEEN!),” [Karin] Housley wrote on her Facebook wall.

In the comment thread on her post, Housley said the chimpanzee in the 1951 film “Bedtime for Bonzo,” starring then-actor Ronald Reagan, likely had better posture than Mrs. Obama.

“I do miss Nancy Reagan. Ronald even more. Speaking of Bedtime for Bonzo, I think even that chimp stood up straighter than Michelle,” Housley wrote. “Uh-oh, someone is going to make a comment.” 

Nobody cares. 

45 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Hoo boy.

I do miss Nancy Reagan. Ronald even more. Speaking of Bedtime for Bonzo, I think even that chimp stood up straighter than Michelle,” Housley wrote. “Uh-oh, someone is going to make a comment.” 

You know who I miss?   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.