Housley Should Have Until End of December

CallawaySabres

16 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

So it's Phil's fault that nobody on this team can score? 

Phil doesn't have the pro head coaching experience to know how to put guys in position to succeed.  Who exactly has developed under him?

• Like (+1) 1

I want them switched... Taylor seems to know how to get the kids even Nylander to play hard.  He is a motivator.. but does it with a smile on his face.  Played that way as a player too.  Housley is a teacher but not a game manager.  He is learning on the fly and still hasn't figured it out.  I would hope he would.. but it is not happening yet... and with the talent coming up in the next couple of years, I don't want it wasted.

11 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Well, Phil has had a come to Jesus moment re: the oh-fence. It's important to outscore the other team at even-strength, and to do that you need to go to the net, get your nose dirty, hope for some puck luck, put your nose to the grindstone and get rewarded for your effort!

"Especially entering the offensive zone, getting more pucks to the net and more people there, stopping and paying a price to score some goals."

"You're going to hear a lot from me about 5-on-5 differential because it's the difference between winning and losing. Your special teams have to play an important role but you can't count on them all the time. It's not going to happen all the time. Five-on-five is something we can control. Getting to the net with more traffic was a big focus today."

Barf. Is "5-on-5 differential" supposed to be impress us? Prove that he's smart or something? It means nothing, and it's certainly not something Phil's team can control.

Is this what we're down to?

Not sure what you're getting at here, but the good teams in this league score goals in 5-on-5 play, and control the puck and play during 5-on-5 play.  A hot PP is nice, especially in the playoffs (if we ever see those again) but you can't survive on a diet of PP goals.  

In that regard, I totally agree with Phil; he's right about all that.

I still would like to see his ass off  this team.

On 10/17/2018 at 2:00 PM, That Aud Smell said:

Housley may not be a solution at the HC position.

But, more and more, I am resolved that the biggest issue with the Sabres is player-related. This is Jack Eichel's team. Does this team reflect its captain's game, his play, his intensity, and so forth?

I sorta think so, thus far.

As much as Housley is not the right coach either, it is absolutely on the players.  

And guess what?  That Eichel style of play ain't anywhere near good enough.

I'm telling you, this guy (so far) is Pierre Turgeon 2.0, at least as far as Sabre Messiahs are concerned.  

The good news is he is still young and can figure it out at any point.  He has the talent no doubt.  Not sure he is going to get it though.  For me, that means playing to his maximum potential every time he goes on the ice.

On 10/17/2018 at 2:27 PM, LGR4GM said:

What bothers me is that Hutton is the one noticing the lack of effort some nights. 

He's standing out there right in the middle of it.  Has a good vantage point.

Robin Lehner used to make a lot of comments like that too.  I thought he was a very direct, straight shooting, down to earth guy, particularly in his post game interviews.  He often spoke of poor team effort. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/17/2018 at 4:39 PM, darksabre said:

I'm agreeing with you a more than I would like to be today. 

What I see when players aren't giving their best effort is:

-players not skating hard enough to create space for themselves 

-players not looking around and assessing changing situations with urgency

-players not using their bodies to protect the puck 

The result is soft one on one turnovers, bad passes because teammates aren't making the effort to get open, and blown coverage.

It's not too difficult to see hustle/effort/desperation at this level compared to a more floating style of play.

This team floats most of the time.  Eichel leads the charge, often.  And yes, that's a problem. 

1 hour ago, MODO Hockey said:

It was obvious the first game, Phil has not been able to get this team to believe his system, if he
cant turn this around in the next 5 games he needs to be fired right away

Would be interesting modo what someone like Chris Taylor could do with the sabres roster. Not sure if getting rid of housley makes things better but first thing he needs to do is let the players play. They seem caught up in his coaching style which is clearly not working. 

35 minutes ago, Sabre1974 said:

Would be interesting modo what someone like Chris Taylor could do with the sabres roster. Not sure if getting rid of housley makes things better but first thing he needs to do is let the players play. They seem caught up in his coaching style which is clearly not working. 

Part of that will be be putting Risto on 3-4 pair or even 6-7 pair till he unlearns his bunker mentality and gets back to playing when is was drafted.  Almost like he has ptsd... gonna take time and a break occasionally.  Scandella can't be playing as much either.  Call up Pilut and rotate guys in and out on D, give them rest and get them to loosen up.  Toronto has not been afraid of giving up goals...the Sabres seem to be instead of just skating...  Old habits die hard.

56 minutes ago, Sabre1974 said:

Ya, most people believe in Chris because of what he has been able to create down in Rochester, thing is could he make something like that happen in Buffalo? not so sure, maybe. This team obviously needs a coach with fire and temper. 

6 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

Ya, most people believe in Chris because of what he has been able to create down in Rochester, thing is could he make something like that happen in Buffalo? not so sure, maybe. This team obviously needs a coach with fire and temper. 

Yup. 

On the subject of Chris Taylor: I am absolutely not taking him out of Rochester until such a time as he has finished his work there. If Taylor is as good as people think he is, then we need him there developing our pipeline, because the pipeline is what is going to get us out of this mess. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

On the subject of Chris Taylor: I am absolutely not taking him out of Rochester until such a time as he has finished his work there. If Taylor is as good as people think he is, then we need him there developing our pipeline, because the pipeline is what is going to get us out of this mess. 

Yea i agree, he should stay and keep building Rochester and creating the atmosphere needed down there.
Its a shame, looks like we got a real puzzy as a head coach in Buffalo. When i see him coach the games it makes me wonder what made J.Bot fall for this

6 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

Yea i agree, he should stay and keep building Rochester and creating the atmosphere needed down there.
Its a shame, looks like we got a real puzzy as a head coach in Buffalo. When i see him coach the games it makes me wonder what made J.Bot fall for this

Housley didn't get the nickname Phyllis because of his home decorating. He made Marc Andre Gragnani look like Scott Stevens.

4 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

As much as Housley is not the right coach either, it is absolutely on the players.  

And guess what?  That Eichel style of play ain't anywhere near good enough.

I'm telling you, this guy (so far) is Pierre Turgeon 2.0, at least as far as Sabre Messiahs are concerned.  

The good news is he is still young and can figure it out at any point.  He has the talent no doubt.  Not sure he is going to get it though.  For me, that means playing to his maximum potential every time he goes on the ice.

and McDavid is tearing it up...

4 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

I don't remember if Phil was essentially the only viable candidate for the job at the time, but I'm trying not to put too much stock into Phil's hire. I think Botterill prefers to develop coaches within the organization and he's got his guy in Rochester. I'm not sure if Phil means anything to him. 

4 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Not sure what you're getting at here, but the good teams in this league score goals in 5-on-5 play, and control the puck and play during 5-on-5 play.  A hot PP is nice, especially in the playoffs (if we ever see those again) but you can't survive on a diet of PP goals.  

In that regard, I totally agree with Phil; he's right about all that.

I still would like to see his ass off  this team.

It's the use of the term, like Phil had just read some fancy stats blog, that bothered me. I'd guess that sometime in 1898 a coach first figured out that his team had to outscore the opposition at even strength. Of course it means something. Talking about it means virtually nothing to me.

Can Housley effectively coach Eichel into becoming our Patrick Kane?  Our Crosby?  Our Ovechkin?     That's what we thought he would be - but this is the start of his 4th season, and he's a mid-tier producer by overall league standards.     If Housley can't, the Sabres need to make a change sooner, rather than later.   Doesn't look like anyone is improving on this team, let alone Eichel.  

How did we not end up getting Claude Julien again, and instead settle for Housley, a guy who no one was certain would be good as HC?    Oh yeah - Bylsma - who the Sabres kept for another 7-8 weeks before firing him.  LOL!   

They could have at least brought Julien on in the front office (thinking of Quenneville's resume with the Blackhawks) and then made the move after the end of the 16-17 season.

17 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I don't remember if Phil was essentially the only viable candidate for the job at the time, but I'm trying not to put too much stock into Phil's hire. I think Botterill prefers to develop coaches within the organization and he's got his guy in Rochester. I'm not sure if Phil means anything to him. 

Todd Reirden was near the top of his list. 

47 minutes ago, darksabre said:

No more rookie NHL head coaches, please.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.