Sabres: Lawrence Pilut Signing

LGR4GM

what's his TRpm tho?

It's +8.

Procrastination level - scouring a website written in Swedish, counting individual power play goals to get a number of PP attempts to which I can use to approximate the number of penalty kills, since all I can find are the percentages of each, so that I can get a 5v5 goal differential for an SHL team I've never heard of with which I can calculate a stat I don't like very much, to judge a player I've never heard of. 

FWIW, he outscored a very nice prospect in Brannstrom on the same team. 

What probably happened is they got word that Antipin wants far, far away from this mess, and they need someone to bench when Beaulieu everything up as usual, and figured the leading SHL scoring defenseman would be the perfect guy to munch popcorn up top and watch Beaulieu continue to be a nightmare on skates.

Lawrence Pilut [D], HV71, 22

Freshly 22, Pilut plays defense for HV71 of the Swedish elite league - the same team Victor Ejdsell skates for. The 2017-18 campaign is his fourth full season in the SHL. In 182 career SHL games, he has 14 goals and 68 points and is an astonishing +47. This season, through 43 games, Pilut has 7 goals and 35 points - a 0.81 points-per-game pace. He’s leading HV71 in scoring, has 8 more points than the next highest scorer, and is fifth on the team in shots on goal (Ejdsell is tied for first with 92 shots). 

Pilut got his first taste of the SHL in 22 games for HV71 in 2013-14 at just 18 years old. For reference, Mattias Ekholm at this age posted 33 points in 55 games for Brynas IF in 2010-11 and 17 points in 41 games in 2011-12.

By all accounts, Pilut is a highly-skilled playmaker. He has a smaller frame - 179 lbs, 5’11” - but has been known to play aggressively. Interestingly enough, the reports heading into his draft year were concerned with his offensive ability, but he’s drastically improved in that area.

I thought he was 180 pounds? Can't these scouts get this stuff right? 

it states that Pilut's contract runs through 2018-`19!!! Does this mean he can't come over til the 2019-20 season? Not sure if he can get out of that contract over there

By all accounts, Pilut is a highly-skilled playmaker. He has a smaller frame - 179 lbs, 5’11” - but has been known to play aggressively. Interestingly enough, the reports heading into his draft year were concerned with his offensive ability, but he’s drastically improved in that area.

***Before looking at some film, it’s important to note that his current contract runs through the 2018-19 season.

it states that Pilut's contract runs through 2018-`19!!! Does this mean he can't come over til the 2019-20 season? Not sure if he can get out of that contract over there

***Before looking at some film, it’s important to note that his current contract runs through the 2018-19 season.

It just means the Sabres have to pay the piddling transfer fee to the Swedish team.  $750,000 if I remember correctly.

This moves, to me, signals that the Antipin experiment is over which I am happy about. Anitpin was horrendous and I don't understand why we would give him a new offer.

There were no defensemen on our team that were better than him at exiting the zone with possession, either via passing or carrying. Basically, when he had the puck in the d-zone, we had the highest chance that we'd get to keep it relative to our other D.

allowing zone entries was a different story - only Risto, Beaulieu, and Tennyson let the opponents enter with possession more often. 

But I would be far happier to see Antipin on our bottom pair next season than any of Tennyson, Beaulieu, Bogosian, or McCabe, and we'll probably have 3 of those guys in our top 5.

There were no defensemen on our team that were better than him at exiting the zone with possession, either via passing or carrying. Basically, when he had the puck in the d-zone, we had the highest chance that we'd get to keep it relative to our other D.

allowing zone entries was a different story - only Risto, Beaulieu, and Tennyson let the opponents enter with possession more often. 

But I would be far happier to see Antipin on our bottom pair next season than any of Tennyson, Beaulieu, Bogosian, or McCabe, and we'll probably have 3 of those guys in our top 5.

Antipin was hailed as an offensive generating defense-man. He had zero goals. That's enough for me to not want him back.

Doubt we'll see Tennyson on the Sabres next year unless there's a rash of injuries (I think/hope Botts will give the back end a make-over). Bogo will play 30 games so don't worry about him and I like McCabe, he's better than Antipin at least but I also have a hunch he might be moved in a "shake-things-up" package.

edit. Forgot to mention Beaulieu. He was worse than what people from Montreal were saying when he was first traded here. Absolute trash. I hope he's not on the team next season but can live with him for another year if need be.

Edited by Mustasch av gud

Antipin was hailed as an offensive generating defense-man. He had zero goals. That's enough for me to not want him back.

Doubt we'll see Tennyson on the Sabres next year unless there's a rash of injuries (I think/hope Botts will give the back end a make-over). Bogo will play 30 games so don't worry about him and I like McCabe, he's better than Antipin at least but I also have a hunch he might be moved in a "shake-things-up" package.

edit. Forgot to mention Beaulieu. He was worse than what people from Montreal were saying when he was first traded here. Absolute trash. I hope he's not on the team next season but can live with him for another year if need be.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you Antipin was Erik Karlsson, but if you adjust point production to ice time, he was the best scoring defenseman (obviously through assists) to play at least half a season. 

We are worse moving forward with a bottom pairing that has any of those four guys I mention than we are with him in that spot. 

I'm not going to sit here and tell you Antipin was Erik Karlsson, but if you adjust point production to ice time, he was the best scoring defenseman (obviously through assists) to play at least half a season. 

We are worse moving forward with a bottom pairing that has any of those four guys I mention than we are with him in that spot. 

I don't disagree with any of the above. From a roster availability / contract status + ideally landing Dahlin (I know, 18.5% means we're likely not getting him but it's still a possibility), bringing in this new guy with the hopes Botteril also upgrades the D from within the NHL tells me that there's no room for Anitpin.

Last years group didn't get the job done, let's hit the reset button and try something new.

I don't disagree with any of the above. From a roster availability / contract status + ideally landing Dahlin (I know, 18.5% means we're likely not getting him but it's still a possibility), bringing in this new guy with the hopes Botteril also upgrades the D from within the NHL tells me that there's no room for Anitpin.

Last years group didn't get the job done, let's hit the reset button and try something new.

I'd be thrilled as well if we can get it to the point where we don't even need to think about Antipin. 

I get worried when I hear Botts talk about Bogosian and McCabe being relied upon as part of taking the load off of Risto though. 

We'll see if those were just words.