Grading Tim Murray's Job

bob_sauve28

I have to give him a D. The only thing that keeps it out of the F zone is Samson and Jack, though we only have them because we sucked so bad.

We are still dead last place.

His trades did not work out. Was he responsible for trading Brayden McNabb??

He hit on no second or third round surprises of note. Where is our Pasternak?

Lehner

I have to give him a D. The only thing that keeps it out of the F zone is Samson and Jack, though we only have them because we sucked so bad.

Lehner

Even though I like Samson, Murray had the 2nd pick and the choice of first forward in the draft, and so far there are at least 5 (Ehlers, Nylander, Pastrnak, Draisaitl, Point, maybe Larkin, maybe Arvidsson (2 30G, 60 point campaigns now)) forwards who have performed better to date/are better players right now. I don't count that among Murray's "successes" even though I am not upset with the pick and it was a completely safe/reasonable selection. 

I don't think it was an abject failure of a pick yet either. But he doesn't get my cheerleading for it.

Strange thread given we are a full season out from his release. 

A+

He did what he was instructed to do.

Unfortunately, this is likely accurate.  Too bad the ghosts of that duty are still with us.

Even though I like Samson, Murray had the 2nd pick and the choice of first forward in the draft, and so far there are at least 5 (Ehlers, Nylander, Pastrnak, Draisaitl, Point, maybe Larkin, maybe Arvidsson (2 30G, 60 point campaigns now)) forwards who have performed better to date/are better players right now. I don't count that among Murray's "successes" even though I am not upset with the pick and it was a completely safe/reasonable selection. 

I don't think it was an abject failure of a pick yet either. But he doesn't get my cheerleading for it.

Very reasonable take IMO.  I certainly can't give him much credit for selecting a player that was on many lists as the #2 overall and then doing it again the following season with the consensus #2 overall.  Had he hit at least a double on a player that wasn't on anyone's board at that spot, it would be a noteworthy achievement.  Has he even hit any singles?

A+

By who? Then why was he fired? I'm assuming the A+ is a bit of sarcasm toward the organization. I don't believe for a minute he was "instructed" to make all his moves although I have no problems with the idea no one opposed them either.

Reinhart and Bennett were the consensus top forwards in the draft. So Murray didn’t deviate from the norm by picking Reinhart, it’s what most GMs in that spot would have done.

Most fans liked the ROR and Kane trades. Myers, Stafford, and Gregorinko were failing in Buffalo. The tank to get McDavid or Eichel was a success. And there are some drafted players that will be contributing in the next couple of years.

The trades of Lehner, Psyek, and ignoring Rochester were things I didn’t like.

But I loved GMTMs interviews, it was refreshing to have a GM who said what he thought after years of Darcy. “Slap him on the pee pee”.

So overall I give GMTM a C. Some of the players he acquired haven’t played to their potential, but that could be said about those he traded away.

Reinhart and Bennett were the consensus top forwards in the draft. So Murray didn’t deviate from the norm by picking Reinhart, it’s what most GMs in that spot would have done.

Right, that is what I meant to imply. I don't think he should get a plus for making the easy/safe choice and then having 5 guys behind that choice become better. But I don't give him a minus for it either. 

So in bobsauve's list of things that keep Murray out of the "f zone", I would remove Samson, but I wouldn't put drafting Samson in his list of failures either. That's all I meant to say.

Lehner

You can't grade Murray's late round draft picks yet because there hasn't been enough time. This is a recording.

Murray sucked and I'm glad he's gone.

Our team was so broken and run so poorly for so long that we think 2nd and 3rd rounders are busts because they aren't playing in the NHL only two years after being drafted.

If we were run properly, this would have/should have been Grigorenko and Zadorov's first year playing for the big club.

Is there a grade below F.  He is the worst GM is Sabres history.  He has no idea how to manage the cap, manage assets such as picks and prospects, build a roster or manage people.  His drafting was mediocre at best, his trades awful and FA signings nearly as bad.  His strategy to accelerate the rebuild was ill conceived, ill advised and poorly executed.  He destroyed the farm system and ignored the Amerks.  He clearly didn't do what he was hired to do.

Isn't it fun many of guys TM traded away because they weren't need here playing in the playoffs.

McNabb LV (after winning 2 Cups in LA)

Armia, Myers and Roslovic (1st rd pick we traded to Wpg) in Wpg

Zadorov and Compher for the Avs.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Yup. 

Can you imagine our D if we had just kept the guys we drafted and developed?

Risto Zadorov

Myers McCabe

Pysyk McNabb

Nelson Guhle

Now think about our D if a competent GM had drafted Sergachev instead of Nylander?  or maybe had TM allowed the team to develop more slowly, maybe we'd have had a top 4 pick in 2016 maybe Laine, Dubois, or Matt Tkachuk would be Sabres.  Add that guy to the defense we should have kept, with the 2 1st rd picks we gave away and we'd be a playoff team this season. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

You can't grade Murray's late round draft picks yet because there hasn't been enough time. This is a recording.

Murray sucked and I'm glad he's gone.

He was an arrogant miserable sour puss who thought he was a genius. He squandered all the draft capital that Darcy Regier acquired before him. He overpaid on virtually every trade. He doesn't deserve any credit for drafting Jack Eichel since that was obvious. He gave up a 1st round choice for Lehner which was atrocious. Mark Pysyk was traded for a useless bag of pucks. The team and organization is worse off because of him. And by the way, the team is still in last place.

His grade is clearly an "F"

Edited by PotentPowerPlay22

Most fans liked the ROR and Kane trades. Myers, Stafford, and Gregorinko were failing in Buffalo. The tank to get McDavid or Eichel was a success. And there are some drafted players that will be contributing in the next couple of years.

The trades of Lehner, Psyek, and ignoring Rochester were things I didn’t like.

But I loved GMTMs interviews, it was refreshing to have a GM who said what he thought after years of Darcy. “Slap him on the pee pee”.

So overall I give GMTM a C. Some of the players he acquired haven’t played to their potential, but that could be said about those he traded away.

That Kane trade was one of the worst trades in the history of the NHL

I hate the argument of ex sabres in thr playoffs..... How many of those guys are driving their team, let alone their own line..... They get to be passengers on a good team (granted they bring a decent supplemental role) but they are slotted where they should be, 3rd/4th line mainly

Can you imagine our D if we had just kept the guys we drafted and developed?

Risto Zadorov

Myers McCabe

Pysyk McNabb

Nelson Guhle

Now think about our D if a competent GM had drafted Sergachev instead of Nylander?  or maybe had TM allowed the team to develop more slowly, maybe we'd have had a top 4 pick in 2016 maybe Laine, Dubois, or Matt Tkachuk would be Sabres.  Add that guy to the defense we should have kept, with the 2 1st rd picks we gave away and we'd be a playoff team this season. 

Now that's a depressing post.....

A+

Maybe it was what he was instructed to do, but the botched execution is well documented. What a slap in the face after Darcy screwed the pooch. The two of them combined in back to back administrations has left JBots with a huge hole(s) to fill. More than a couple of people are already calling for his head, or at least the head of his coach, after less than a year. At this point it's Go Amerks!!! and lets see a few of those young guys force their way onto the Sabres' roster next October.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.