Game Experience: Russ Brandon weighs in

LGR4GM

http://buffalonews.com/2018/04/04/whats-next-for-buffalos-aging-keybank-center/ Story by Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News. 

""We have to take more advantage of our plaza," Russ Brandon said. "We had success during playoff games and there's obviously weather issues during much of the season, but during the beginning of the season, we can be more active in that space as well. Just seeing how Vegas activated things from the time you get out of your car or out of public transit all the way into the building is something we need to look at.""

Edited by LGR4GM

This is actually a well written story by Harrington. 

It is. 

But coming out now, with so many STH clamoring about not re-upping, I see this being an on going tale of KBC improvement articles to try and get the STH to hang on for another year. A sales pitch.

I have no problems with TBN and the Pegula's/Brandon thawing of the ice in their relationship and it starts here and now with this article. The writers for TBN may get better access and more information that I think would be great for fans.

But, I think this is just a salesman's pitch to not lose customers. 

Make the playoffs and all the crack concrete, broken cup holders and cold water to wash your hands goes away.

Edited by woods-racer

I'll believe it when I see it.  Russ throws something out there every year after a lousy season by either the Bills or the Sabres.  It's become a running joke.  "What will Russ say to keep the fans coming back next year?"  Marketing 101.  Otherwise known as his job.

It is. 

But coming out now, with so many STH clamoring about not re-upping, I see this being an on going tale of KBC improvement articles to try and get the STH to hang on for another year. A sales pitch.

I have no problems with TBN and the Pegula's/Brandon thawing of the ice in their relationship and it starts here and now with this article. The writers for TBN may get better access and more information that I think would be great for fans.

But, I think this is just a salesman's pitch to not lose customers. 

Make the playoffs and all the crack concrete, broken cup holders and cold water to wash your hands goes away.

I know. How dare they?  They should just make the team good. I mean, isn't that obvious? Stop sucking and play good. Stop denying us good hockey already. 

I know. How dare they?  They should just make the team good. I mean, isn't that obvious? Stop sucking and play good. Stop denying us good hockey already.

Because Buffalo... yeh a bit cynical... why wasnt this done already. Guess it didnt matter.

I think the best part of the article to me is how Harrington went about it.

He could have just thrown a puff piece out there about renovations and Russ and the Sabres going all in about game day experience, but he didn't. He took his time, did quite a bit of research, made some phone calls and gave a detailed report of the status of the building and it's lease.

Let the reader read a well written story and decide for them selves based on the facts he could find.

Harrington didn't need to be right or wrong, offer an opinion even, to stir these feelings. 

Kudos to Harrington.

If they're going to turn up the heat in the arena I'm going to have a beef. It's going to be too damn hot in there. You know why people wear their coats and hats in the arena? Because that's what they were wearing when they walked a quarter mile down Washington from the ballpark ramp in January!

Now...if they were to work out a shuttle system from the nearby ramps and lots whereby I could leave my coat or sweatshirt in the car, then by all means, turn the heat up. 

Just get to the playoffs.

Adding ketchup to the turd burger won't get more fans there.

These are not mutually exclusive goals, and ...

Maybe, just maybe, Russ should quit the Sabres and focus on the Bills, and have a dedicated hockey operations guy full time to handle all those things.

...Brandon is doing exactly what Brandon SHOULD be doing.  Focusing on the fan experience and leaving the hockey to the hockey folks. This isn't meddling in player personnel.  This is marketing and making sure the arena is nice.

If they're going to turn up the heat in the arena I'm going to have a beef. It's going to be too damn hot in there. You know why people wear their coats and hats in the arena? Because that's what they were wearing when they walked a quarter mile down Washington from the ballpark ramp in January!

Now...if they were to work out a shuttle system from the nearby ramps and lots whereby I could leave my coat or sweatshirt in the car, then by all means, turn the heat up. 

Don't you just leave your coat at your seat until the end of the game like everyone else?

It's probably a personal and nostalgic thing, but I love parking a little ways out, walking to Pearl Street, then walking to the game in the cold. I know it's not for everyone. And I know that removing this piece of the puzzle will open up doors to the new casual fan without losing me as a hardcore fan. But still, I like to walk and be cold :P

It's part of my routine here in Columbus too because I found a free lot not far away from Nationwide. I regularly chat with the cop manning the crosswalks after the games as I wait at long lights lol.

...Brandon is doing exactly what Brandon SHOULD be doing. Focusing on the fan experience and leaving the hockey to the hockey folks. This isn't meddling in player personnel. This is marketing and making sure the arena is nice.

Don't you just leave your coat at your seat until the end of the game like everyone else?

The entire concept of sitting on ones coat all game is ridiculous. I don't bring a coat in for that reason.

There should be coat checks.

...Brandon is doing exactly what Brandon SHOULD be doing.  Focusing on the fan experience and leaving the hockey to the hockey folks. This isn't meddling in player personnel.  This is marketing and making sure the arena is nice.

It's the timing that's total BS

I’m not crazy about the forecast for the call for significant public money — but, whadda ya gonna do, I guess?

The OP’s quote re studying Vegas caught my eye. I happened to be in Vegas on the night of a recent game. What an atmosphere they’ve created. Of course, the climate helps enormously.

No it's Brandon phobia. Some fans seem to convulse at his very name. Then there's the conspiracy bunch who see a Brandon behind every tree.

I see a a lot of fans not buying season tickets for next year. Because of DFL.

I read a timely written article with the Sabres head salesmen talking about fixing things that should have been fixed in years past.

No conspiracy theory, just a slick used car salesmen doing his job.

Lindy once described Ennis as “greasy.”

The term fits Brandon — for different reasons.

I just finished reading the article on the arena and Brandon. We also have two new state of the art stadiums here in Atlanta. Although I haven’t seen the Sabres in Buffalo in years, I can make some suggestions to make the experience in Buffalo better.

1) fix the damn team

2) fix the damn team

3) fix the damn team

Also

4) no excuse for bad maintenance.

5) lower concession prices. At the Falcons stadium the prices are half of what I’ve seen at other stadiums. Also most of the vendors are local. Local pizza, local BBq, local burger joints and even some local up scale dinning. All at fair prices.

At the Falcons stadium, there is a corridor that is 100 yards long painted to look like a football field. There are bars and concessions with standing tables around pillars with images of the players, with the player’s background and career highlights. TV are everywhere . The ceiling lighting matches the hashmarks on the field and light up to indicate where the ball is.

6) have 41 events at each home game. T-shirt night, bobbleheads, concerts, youth hockey between periods. I wouldn’t mind a Amerks/Sabres double header. Have an alumni/Sabres double header. Put alumni and current players autograph photos in random programs. Try things to get people willing to come to the games as the team improves, but then keep doing it even after the team becomes a contender.

7) Do special things for the season ticket holders. Give them the right to buy extra tickets for certain games before they go on sale to the public. Have alumni autograph sessions for the season ticket holders. Whatever.

8) Lower prices for next season as an apology for this one.

9) at the new Braves stadium we have an area called the Battery, which is a pedestrian area next to the stadium featuring bars, restaurants and shops. It’s open all year and all time. It is a gathering spot on game days, but we live near the stadium and often go to the battery on non game days for lunch and dinner. Many just go to the battery to hang out even during the games. It’s alot of fun.

10) Fix the damn team.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.