Realistic expectations for Casey

GASabresIUFAN

I liked what I saw from him tonight.

Same. His defensive game is going to need some work but I thought his awareness was good and he didn't look nearly as soft on the puck as I expected. He definitely has wheels and hands, and that is good news. He also didn't look like it was killing him to keep up. His speed and shiftiness was controlled and seemed more fluid than what we would see from speed guys like Ennis. 

Same. His defensive game is going to need some work but I thought his awareness was good and he didn't look nearly as soft on the puck as I expected. He definitely has wheels and hands, and that is good news. He also didn't look like it was killing him to keep up. His speed and shiftiness was controlled and seemed more fluid than what we would see from speed guys like Ennis. 

I felt like he was being taken advantage of at times.  But he'll learn from those things.

there are 7 or so games left in the season, i realistically expect 46 goals and 1 assist in the 7 games. 

next season, i fully expect 289 goals with 8 assists. 

everyone knows nobody on the sabres will be able to score except lord mittelstadt

Edited by lehner_gives_up_another

I would hate to see Casey rushed into a top 6 role he isn't ready for. If they do, they will ruin him. 

I also think we need to reinforce a culture that says you EARN the spot, you don't just get given it cause you're the great hope. Everything I've heard from him makes me think he thinks it's all going to come easy. Same maturity issues as Eichel. We make them think they're god's gifts and then we wonder why they lack a work ethic. Unless he is absolutely brilliant in camp, I'd start him in Rochester for sure. 

I would hate to see Casey rushed into a top 6 role he isn't ready for. If they do, they will ruin him. 

I also think we need to reinforce a culture that says you EARN the spot, you don't just get given it cause you're the great hope. Everything I've heard from him makes me think he thinks it's all going to come easy. Same maturity issues as Eichel. We make them think they're god's gifts and then we wonder why they lack a work ethic. Unless he is absolutely brilliant in camp, I'd start him in Rochester for sure.

I’m sure Jbot, Wowie and the Scouts will be watching and then reviewing on video all his shifts here, Worlds and pre-season before they even give him a spot on the roster. DR destroyed guys like Grigorgenko and Girgensons my forcong them into the lineup, i doubt Jbot will do the same, but who knows.

I can agree, but, if he is to play in Buffalo next year, what would be better for him, top 6 minutes with Eichel, RoR, KO, Reino or 'sheltered minutes' with Girgensons, or whatever trash we have on the 3-4 lines?  He has a better chance to develop playing top 6 minutes with our best forwards

Possibly. He has all summer to review game tape and hopefully work with coaching staff to pick up on defensive positioning.

Ofcourse that is just tape and it will take game situations to figure it out. I have no problem if he spends the first month of the season in Rochester.

Possibly. He has all summer to review game tape and hopefully work with coaching staff to pick up on defensive positioning.

Ofcourse that is just tape and it will take game situations to figure it out. I have no problem if he spends the first month of the season in Rochester.

As I understand it, he will hit UFA a year early if he gets in 41 games next year in Buffalo. So I expect to see him in January at the earliest.

As I understand it, he will hit UFA a year early if he gets in 41 games next year in Buffalo. So I expect to see him in January at the earliest.

It's 40 games to get to an accrued season.

But the CBA will have been reworked about 3 years before he reaches his 7th accrued season, so that probably won't be a factor in his development plan. (Though it probably should be a factor.)

I’m sure Jbot, Wowie and the Scouts will be watching and then reviewing on video all his shifts here, Worlds and pre-season before they even give him a spot on the roster. DR destroyed guys like Grigorgenko and Girgensons my forcong them into the lineup, i doubt Jbot will do the same, but who knows.

Honestly, I would start him in Rochester for all of October and November. Get him in a professional routine. Let him learn. 

I agree with both of these.

Put him between Bailey and Bastista (Spelling?)

and leave them be as a third line... stop changing the lines every night!

Put him between Bailey and Bastista (Spelling?)

and leave them be as a third line... stop changing the lines every night!

Well considering that Bailey was sent to Rochester and Baptiste isn't better than Reinhart or Okposo probably not happening right away. 

I'd say it's a near certainty he's on the roster next year day 1, as is usually the case with players of his draft position and ability.

With no previous pro experience and only a season of college, after only high school hockey no less, he stepped into the league and proceeded to immediately be more valuable on ice than several current Sabres, and has 2 points in 2 games. He'll get better and stronger over the summer. And he'll get a full camp.

He'll make the team, and he's going to be ok. Really.

I'd say it's a near certainty he's on the roster next year day 1, as is usually the case with players of his draft position and ability.

With no previous pro experience and only a season of college, after only high school hockey no less, he stepped into the league and proceeded to immediately be more valuable on ice than several current Sabres, and has 2 points in 2 games. He'll get better and stronger over the summer. And he'll get a full camp.

Thank you for not saying "fine"

Thank you for proving optimism is not dead around here. :beer:

I think he'll be on the opening night roster. He's got things to learn, sure, but I don't think he's as raw as someone like Guhle was. I think he'll be able to adjust to the NHL speed quickly.

Yessir.

The fan base caution surrounding Casey is somewhere between funny and sad.

Kid is going to be a good NHL hockey player for a long time and it’s more likely at a Briere level than a Stafford level.

Hopefully he gets there faster than Briere did.

The caution is understandable. But man, I can't imagine being a hardcore fan and being unable to believe in anything.

I just don't want Casey to fall victim to the predominant lack of work ethic, or not knowing how to win, compete level, whatever you want to call the culture that has been a part of this team over the last era. Until we develop some true leaders and have a team attitude that is better, I don't want young impressionable guys cast into high expectation roles. I know we beat them a few times this year but the reason the Bruins are in first and we are in last has a lot to do with the fact that there is massive team spirit on that team and an expectation that you work your ass off. A lot of their players are not better than ours, but they give a heck of a lot more effort night to night. We need that here, and the only way young guys like Casey will bring that is if they learn that is the way it has to be, and they can learn that in Rochester first and then come up as the new leaders themselves. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.