Time to have a conversation about the board again?

Eleven

Did any posters complain about said video links?

I don't see where that matters.  The intent was pretty evident to me.  It was a political statement.  I happen to agree with that statement, but that doesn't matter.  The policy has been stated pretty explicitly.

I will say this.... Anyone posting obviously political posts at this point really have no leg to stand on if they are complaining.  Expect that the warning and/or time out is coming.  It's the old adage, don't do the crime if you can't do the time.  Take your lumps, you knew the policy.  Hell, everyone loves a martyr.  Own that .

^

Yep.

I’ve come to the conclusion that his is SDS’s fiefdom. There is no due process. The rules may be arbitrarily set and enforced. That’s how it is.

Btw - Jer White at WGR has gone full-bore “not sticking to sports” on Twitter. I wonder how that’ll go. I also wonder if he may be charting a career path to AM talk radio more generally - a la Sandy Beach.

I'm of the opinion that absolutely no political talk be allowed here. We have a place at PPP for that and I encourage everyone that wants to make political comments to do so there. I have rather strong political beliefs and understand that if political comments were allowed here that the hockey discussion would suffer greatly and I'm sure I'd be involved in contributing to that.

Politics is such a crazy thing that I simply don't understand, going back to childhood to now I have seen fights, divorces, etc over politics and discussions about something that is near impossible for us to change. It's just as corrupt as the field I am currently in and I'll never understand the hatred passion that comes out of the disagreement in which corrupt person is more wrong.

Look at this board, it's mainly civil, but how many people have rubbed the other the wrong way, or been banned over it.

It's best to leave this place for hockey

Liger is the Pat Kaleta of SS. If someone else posted in that thread, I doubt they get suspended.

I'm guessing that he knew exactly what he was doing when he tried to circumvent the rules by posting that video.

I don't miss the politics thread one bit, although, I think this place would be much better if every poster had a gun.

Edited by SwampD

Liger is the Pat Kaleta of SS. If someone else posted in that thread, I doubt they get suspended.

I'm guessing that he knew exactly what he was doing when he tried to circumvent the rules by posting that video.

I don't miss the politics thread one bit, although, I think this place would be much better if every poster had a gun.

I’ve always liked a man clever enough to disrespect the rules without breaking them.

Here's the thing. No politics talk isn't a rule for the civility of the board, it's a rule to maintain the board as a safe space for racists and otherwise people.

The "voice of reason" mod on this board is a sexist, racist POS who's said things like "Obama is president so obviously racism is over." And who can forget "accusations of sexual assault can ruin a man's career"?

Y'all need to stop trying to dress it up like some sorta centrist thing. This board is a place where young people can learn that it's okay to be from greasy old guys. This board is a microcosm of the sexism of professional sports and sports fandom in general.

Enjoy your club.

I've always wanted to gloriously, dramatically leave a message board so I'll part with these wise words: Three Billboards is super racist. And it's reeeaally bad on top of that.

I'm of the opinion that absolutely no political talk be allowed here. We have a place at PPP for that and I encourage everyone that wants to make political comments to do so there. I have rather strong political beliefs and understand that if political comments were allowed here that the hockey discussion would suffer greatly and I'm sure I'd be involved in contributing to that.

What's PPP?

What's PPP?

SDS' s Bills board's subforum for Politics, Polls, & Pundits.

It had been fairly 50-50 split of conservative/liberal posters during the GWB administration. Within a year of President Obama taking office it skewed heavily conservative/libertarian. It still skews that way.

I'm new here so I should probably keep my mouth shut on this but I don't think you can tell people who to ignore or not ignore. My own view of internet boards is let people do whatever, it's not that hard to ignore idiots/trolls. 

Most of all I think it's inevitable that when your team is this bad year after year people are going to get fed up and go off topic and even take out their frustrations in stupid ways. I think a lot of that would go away if we had decent hockey to focus on.  

Here's the thing. No politics talk isn't a rule for the civility of the board, it's a rule to maintain the board as a safe space for racists and otherwise ###### people.

The "voice of reason" mod on this board is a sexist, racist POS who's said things like "Obama is president so obviously racism is over." And who can forget "accusations of sexual assault can ruin a man's career"?

Y'all need to stop trying to dress it up like some sorta centrist thing. This board is a place where young people can learn that it's okay to be ###### from greasy old guys. This board is a microcosm of the sexism of professional sports and sports fandom in general.

Enjoy your club.

I've always wanted to gloriously, dramatically leave a message board so I'll part with these wise words: Three Billboards is super racist. And it's reeeaally bad on top of that.

1.  Three Billboards is amazing.  

2.  I really wish you wouldn't go.  You're one of my favorite posters.

3.  Politics and sports are intertwined.  Anyone who thinks differently can explain why, in Canada and the US, we sing national anthems before domestic league games, why we have stadium flyovers, and why we have veteran thank-yous during games.  None of these are inherently bad, btw, but they are inherently political.

1.  Three Billboards is amazing.  

2.  I really wish you wouldn't go.  You're one of my favorite posters.

3.  Politics and sports are intertwined.  Anyone who thinks differently can explain why, in Canada and the US, we sing national anthems before domestic league games, why we have stadium flyovers, and why we have veteran thank-yous during games.  None of these are inherently bad, btw, but they are inherently political.

What if an NHL player had chosen to kneel during the anthem? Remember when Terry had NYS legislators to the arena for a primer on fracking? Is it true that high income taxes in NY hurt the Sabres and low income taxes in Florida help the teams there?

You see where I'm going. Politics is everywhere in sports.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.