Time to have a conversation about the board again?

Eleven

I really try to stay out of SabreSpace metadrama, but I've had two private conversations with two different posters over the last several days.

One was suspended for several days because he posted a John Oliver video in what was then an open John Oliver thread.  The thread has been closed.  If we didn't want a John Oliver thread, we wouldn't have created one, and if it was an open thread, there should have been nothing wrong with posting a John Oliver video in it.

The other believes that he is on a lot of posters' ignore lists because he is a Trump supporter.  I've reviewed his posts from the former politics thread.  He was not obnoxious and was not "flinging poo," as I believe someone referred to another poster, in that thread, nor is he infecting other threads with political talk.  His contributions to hockey talk on this board are very good.

In the first situation, I think that thread should be reopened and the poster should be reinstated.  If you don't find Oliver entertaining, don't read the thread.  I don't hunt or fish, so I don't read the Rod and Gun Club thread.  Simple.  

In the second, if you have someone on your ignore list simply because of his or her political views, please reconsider that approach.  It's a hockey board (with threads for food, drink, guns and fishing, movies, music, and a bunch of other fun stuff but not Oliver) and we have taken (or tolerated) the decision to kill the politics thread.  It would seem to be poor form to ignore a good poster just because he likes the current president.

My thoughts on this....

This is the internet.   People will always be offended, people will always complain, people will always act inappropriately.     If I want to ignore somebody because I don't agree with them, or for whatever reason, it's my right to do so.... and I really don't care if anybody ignores me... have at it.     If mods want to ban people for whatever reason they choose, then so be it.    That's life on the internet... it's not a democracy.      

I think the conversations will improve when the Sabres improve.  I do like the hockey talk, but also the OT discussions, as well.

In light of the policy concerning open political discourse the fact that a poster was suspended after posting that particular Oliver video should not be surprising.

I am not a proponent of putting anyone on ignore, especially since if a poster on your ignore list is quoted you will see the original post.  If one finds a particular post by another member offensive they should report it and bring it to the attention of the mods to deal with as they see fit.

My thoughts on this....

This is the internet.   People will always be offended, people will always complain, people will always act inappropriately.     If I want to ignore somebody because I don't agree with them, or for whatever reason, it's my right to do so.... and I really don't care if anybody ignores me... have at it.     If mods want to ban people for whatever reason they choose, then so be it.    That's life on the internet... it's not a democracy.

Everything you wrote is correct, yet we lost a lot of excellent posters about fifteen months ago and I would prefer not to see that happen again. I am myself, again, questioning whether I want to be part of a forum where a John Oliver post gets someone suspended and a thread locked.

This place has gotten really touchy lately. Every day someone is blowing up at someone else over the dumbest thing. I'm just trying to have fun

Me too.

I really try to stay out of SabreSpace metadrama, but I've had two private conversations with two different posters over the last several days.

One was suspended for several days because he posted a John Oliver video in what was then an open John Oliver thread.  The thread has been closed.  If we didn't want a John Oliver thread, we wouldn't have created one, and if it was an open thread, there should have been nothing wrong with posting a John Oliver video in it.

The other believes that he is on a lot of posters' ignore lists because he is a Trump supporter.  I've reviewed his posts from the former politics thread.  He was not obnoxious and was not "flinging poo," as I believe someone referred to another poster, in that thread, nor is he infecting other threads with political talk.  His contributions to hockey talk on this board are very good.

In the first situation, I think that thread should be reopened and the poster should be reinstated.  If you don't find Oliver entertaining, don't read the thread.  I don't hunt or fish, so I don't read the Rod and Gun Club thread.  Simple.  

In the second, if you have someone on your ignore list simply because of his or her political views, please reconsider that approach.  It's a hockey board (with threads for food, drink, guns and fishing, movies, music, and a bunch of other fun stuff but not Oliver) and we have taken (or tolerated) the decision to kill the politics thread.  It would seem to be poor form to ignore a good poster just because he likes the current president.

THAT's why Liger hasn't been around? Interesting.

Seems excessive, but don't know any of the back story on it.

As for the ignore list... Would be mildly surprised if people are ignoring good hockey posters due to their politics if the politics aren't getting a hard push in the hockey discussion. But, if people are, it's their loss, not the other ignored poster.

We've lost so many good "voices" through the years due to Sabre inspired apathy, frustration, & ennui that people ignoring posters for trivial reasons are really cutting back on their own value of the board, IMHO. Apparently others MMV & in fact does. ;)

We've lost so many good "voices" through the years due to Sabre inspired apathy, frustration, & ennui that people ignoring posters for trivial reasons are really cutting back on their own value of the board, IMHO. Apparently others MMV & in fact does. ;)

This too. We can only talk about the same 10 topics so many times. Until the team is actually good, we're just recycling the same conversations with different players

Having spent well over a decade on this and several other online sports forums, my general rule of thumb is: if what someone posts gets me angry to the point of blocking people, turning into an Internet tough guy, losing sleep at night, etc. then I simply walk away from the keyboard, turn off the computer and leave the forum. Simple. If it isn't fun and entertaining and positive, then just leave.

I also agree with the above sentiment that, with the team being lousy for the better part of a decade, we simply run out of things to talk about other than "it's the GM", "it's the owner", "it's the players", "it's the culture", "it's the system", "it's drafting".... I get bored with that stuff, so I just don't post very often these days.

I would love the full explanation for Liger's ban. 

The only people I have blocked are the ones with bad and obnoxious hockey takes. 

I almost got banned for the same reason. I'm gonna guess he was warned a few times to stop posting political stuff, and he did it again

Having spent well over a decade on this and several other online sports forums, my general rule of thumb is: if what someone posts gets me angry to the point of blocking people, turning into an Internet tough guy, losing sleep at night, etc. then I simply walk away from the keyboard, turn off the computer and leave the forum. Simple. If it isn't fun and entertaining and positive, then just leave.

I also agree with the above sentiment that, with the team being lousy for the better part of a decade, we simply run out of things to talk about other than "it's the GM", "it's the owner", "it's the players", "it's the culture", "it's the system", "it's drafting".... I get bored with that stuff, so I just don't post very often these days.

"Iron Crotch?"  I am laughing so hard right now!

Hmm I have to stay out of this one because was banned on TBD for my agressivessness at one point. I am a much move civilized guy when I stick to hockey. Political discussion for has been for me and apparently still is a contact sport no holds bar in the back of my head. This board is much more enjoyable without it imo. And better for everyone around me if I defer to those more sanely able to have those discussions, not on this board... in today’s atmosphere it appears those folks are few in number.

Edited by Kottbullar

I almost got banned for the same reason. I'm gonna guess he was warned a few times to stop posting political stuff, and he did it again

Correct.

And for the record, it was a 3-day suspension, which has expired -- not an indefinite ban.

Posting a video in a thread dedicated to those exact videos seems a little different though. 

The last post in that thread prior to the post in question was in 2015 -- well before the political poop hit the fan (both IRL and on this board).  So it's not like it was an active thread.  It's also not like it was a random video.  It was posted to make a political point, which is what we're trying to stay away from.

Correct.

And for the record, it was a 3-day suspension, which has expired -- not an indefinite ban.

The last post in that thread prior to the post in question was in 2015 -- well before the political poop hit the fan (both IRL and on this board). So it's not like it was an active thread. It's also not like it was a random video. It was posted to make a political point, which is what we're trying to stay away from.

Thanks for the explanation.

I got no beef with no topics. I got no posters blocked. It does appear to me as though we are losing more people than we're gaining though, and that's a bad thing.

Still think it's cause the team sucks. I come on here and look and just meh, I've talked about all this stuff before. We need a good team

As a relative newcomer, I have no beef with anyone and do not ever care if someone attacks one of my posts as stupid. And maybe some of them are. 

I didn't post much at first as the board at first appeared to be more of a "good ole boys" club with many posters having 10000+ posts. Then it struck me that a lot of the guys and gals on here probably know each other personally and have gone to games together or socialized in another setting. If I lived in Buff, I probably would have tried to hook up with the group at some point. I also have no issue with posters are accustomed to bantering with the same group as it tends to be habitual. I'm thinking a lot of the folks on here are much younger than me and may have an age connection as well.

I also don't think a hockey board is the place to interject political slant as there are plenty of other internet boards on which to do so. There is an active political board at City-Data that can be entertaining at times with all sides represented. Everyone seems to have good intentions as to the Sabres and we are all sick and tired of watching losing teams. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.