Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think back to that aggressive poster who swore up and down that Mahomes was going to be lights out. That the Bills royally screwed the pooch when they didn't draft him. So far, that now banned guy is 100% right. 

Just now, Eleven said:

Mahomes with the 2018 Bills would look exactly like Allen with the 2018 Bills.  (I saw this on twitter today and it is dead on.)

Andy Reid is a hell of a drug

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Mahomes with the 2018 Bills would look exactly like Allen with the 2018 Bills.  (I saw this on twitter today and it is dead on.)

This might be true, but I don't know how you can be so confident of it. Mahomes simply might be good, and Allen simply might not be...and irrespective of coaching and surrounding talent, that would come through in some visible form.

There's little question McBeane has done no favors to Allen this year, but if I have to go through an entire season of "we'll never know if Allen is good because of the supporting cast" I'm going to lose it. 

7 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

This might be true, but I don't know how you can be so confident of it. Mahomes simply might be good, and Allen simply might not be...and irrespective of coaching and surrounding talent, that would come through in some visible form.

There's little question McBeane has done no favors to Allen this year, but if I have to go through an entire season of "we'll never know if Allen is good because of the supporting cast" I'm going to lose it. 

Oh, I think we can evaluate Allen without the supporting cast just like we could evaluate many quarterbacks over the years who didn't have a supporting cast.

But no way would Mahomes succeed with this team.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I don't think it's just the "supporting cast" and is partly on Allen. But there has been some eye-candy with the kid to have hope that with a supporting cast in the future and some good coaching, he could be at least very good.

Eye- candy.....right now I'd have to say sour patch......hopefully turns into Starburst

24 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Allen made multiple throws that either flat out missed or were off. The long 60yr throw was thrown late and that's why Zay had to come back to it. Allen had a 5 yrd pass to I think Murphy that he overthrew him on. He had a wide open, Foster I think, and because the ball wasn't thrown early the corner knocked it away. Great arm but he has a long way to go. His anticipation and processing simply isn't fast enough post snap. 

He's a rookie. This should be expected. It's why we all wanted him to sit this season. 

If he survives the season and comes back in the fall doing the same things then, yeah, this experiment is done. 

45 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I really didn't think Allen looked that bad yesterday. At least not for an undeveloped rookie QB playing behind a bad line and with a trash receiving corps. The only bad play he really made was that pick he threw when he should have just thrown it out of bounds.

He might actually get better if he can survive long enough to start really processing the game. His reads at the line need some work, but that could come along in time.  

I'm more mad about how bad the rest of the team is. And when your coach takes over for defensive play calling in the second game of the season, you have management problems. 

Allen looked like a raw rookie with no help. It could have been a lot worse IMO. Things like the footwork improvement that showed in the preseason weren't there, because for the first time in his life he had NFL starters trying to rip his head off and a line trying to help IMO. 

I was actually kind of enjoying his game, which was indeed bad by NFL standards, but very much looked like rookie qbs of the past. (I don't want this to be interpreted as anything like a direct comparison - but if Peyton Manning can throw 28 picks his rookie year, I'm going to watch Allen throw a bunch, and when he hits 245 yards and throws a strike TD, I'm gonna goddamn enjoy it, at least that we have a guy with tools to try and develop)

• Like (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Allen looked like a raw rookie with no help. It could have been a lot worse IMO. Things like the footwork improvement that showed in the preseason weren't there, because for the first time in his life he had NFL starters trying to rip his head off and a line trying to help IMO. 

I was actually kind of enjoying his game, which was indeed bad by NFL standards, but very much looked like rookie qbs of the past. (I don't want this to be interpreted as anything like a direct comparison - but if Peyton Manning can throw 28 picks his rookie year, I'm going to watch Allen throw a bunch, and when he hits 245 yards and throws a strike TD, I'm gonna goddamn enjoy it, at least that we have a guy with tools to try and develop)

Bingo. 

27 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Oh, I think we can evaluate Allen without the supporting cast just like we could evaluate many quarterbacks over the years who didn't have a supporting cast.

But no way would Mahomes succeed with this team.

Mahomes is surrounded by more weapons than an army base.  It's interesting to see what a guy can do when he's handed all the tools, as opposed to when he's given nothing but an allen wrench.

And I'm really not trying to make a cheap pun there.  It's the first tool that came to mind since I've got a stack of them from all of the crappy pieces of furniture I've put together.

Been stated upthread, but the biggest thing Mahomes has going for him that Allen does not is an innovative, savant-type offensive mind scheming and calling plays for him. Reid takes a lot of guff in the Twittersphere and such for his weaknesses (clock management, I guess), but that guy designs an offence and calls plays like no one I can think of. It's not too far to call him a genius in that regard. I low-key love Andy Reid.

Also helps Mahomes a ton that Smith was the QB last season.

And then you have the surrounding cast. Outside of QB, that's easily a top-10 (likely top-5) offence in KC. Buffalo's O. is for sure the worst offence in the league, outside of QB.

I liked what I saw from Allen. He looked raw. Made mistakes. But he also looked like he could become a good NFL QB. Probably not great, I will admit. But a good QB who will occasionally boom, occasionally bust, and most times be good enough.

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Been stated upthread, but the biggest thing Mahomes has going for him that Allen does not is an innovative, savant-type offensive mind scheming and calling plays for him. Reid takes a lot of guff in the Twittersphere and such for his weaknesses (clock management, I guess), but that guy designs an offence and calls plays like no one I can think of. It's not too far to call him a genius in that regard. I low-key love Andy Reid.

Having watched a fair bit of Andy Reid while he was here in Philly, I'd list his weaknesses as:

• Clock Management
  • Over-reliance on the pass (although that's arguable)
  • Stubbornness to adjust (he has this master plan to set the other team up like chess moves, but seems like he'd continue to run plays that do not work and didn't fool anyone)

He's a very good coach, but I don't think his weaknesses will ever get him over the hump to win a Superbowl. That being said, I haven't watched him much, maybe he's gotten better.

Also, I made a thing:

Bills.thumb.png.0d853423df106d122314569a6b56b7e9.png

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

And then you have the surrounding cast. Outside of QB, that's easily a top-10 (likely top-5) offence in KC. Buffalo's O. is for sure the worst offence in the league, outside of QB.

I liked what I saw from Allen. He looked raw. Made mistakes. But he also looked like he could become a good NFL QB. Probably not great, I will admit. But a good QB who will occasionally boom, occasionally bust, and most times be good enough.

If you like Offensive savants, you should see the video floating around online of the Rams' coach McVay - the guy can apparently recall every offensive play run by every team he's coached and what happened as a result

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

If you like Offensive savants, you should see the video floating around online of the Rams' coach McVay - the guy can apparently recall every offensive play run by every team he's coached and what happened as a result

I've seen it. Holy sh1tballs, as I think @PASabreFan might say.

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Did we wait an entire calendar year and give up 3 valuable assets to only get a marginally better version of Tyrod? Because that's what you just described. 

@AdamSchefter
Trade now agreed to: Patriots are sending Cleveland a 5th-round pick and if Gordon isn't active for 10 games, Patriots get back a late-round pick from Browns, sources tell ESPN.

As @rapsheet reported, Patriots were closing in on trade for Gordon.
Trade now official.

Im certain I've said this several times in the last decade but this team has hit rock bottom. I can't even muster a single emotion during the games, outside of McClappy's juaranic (thanks poster I can't remember to credit) style decision making. Every successful team is running innovative fun offenses and creative aggressive defense and we get 1986 style game management.  

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

@AdamSchefter
Trade now agreed to: Patriots are sending Cleveland a 5th-round pick and if Gordon isn't active for 10 games, Patriots get back a late-round pick from Browns, sources tell ESPN.

As @rapsheet reported, Patriots were closing in on trade for Gordon.
Trade now official.

Maybe we'll stop hearing about Chris Hogan being the second coming. Doubt it but there's hope. 

"He's batting 285 in the knife and fork league."

That's what the color guy said when Janikowski ran on to the field. 

That's just funny.

EDIT: the PBP later mentioned that he was only 260. That's even funnier.

Edited by SwampD

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.