Fire Phil Fan Club

LGR4GM

Interesting. I wonder what the long-term Corsi/Fenwick #s are for playoff matchups.

Also interesting IMHO that a long-time Leafs fan (and Toronto resident? is that right millbank?) has this impression.

My Home is Stratford Ontario ????

And I do also root for the Sabres , just not against the Leafs. ????

Edited by millbank

How often has a head coach been moved to assistant on the same team? Maybe it's happened once or twice in 100 years?

Yeh dont think its realistic, but dont think he’s head coaching material yet... like him but he needs to grow a pair and start knocking some heads together.

Like the tactician in him... but could be part of the strategy with big name players too... let them sink under their own weight. Could justify young guys sinking or swimming.. Jack or Sam.

Edited by Kottbullar

From Vogl. His context was talking sbout how Miller, at the height of his “power” made himself subject to Ruff.

Holy smokes:

“Too many Sabres either don't care or think they're in charge. Coach Phil Housley has a great knack for forecasting exactly what the opponent will do, and he explains it clearly in the morning. When the puck drops, the opponent follows the blueprint and the Sabres stand there and get run over.”

“The players don't listen or, even worse, don't feel they even have to listen. It's a major reason why the Sabres are bottom-feeders once again.”

From Vogl. His context was talking sbout how Miller, at the height of his “power” made himself subject to Ruff.

Holy smokes:

“Too many Sabres either don't care or think they're in charge. Coach Phil Housley has a great knack for forecasting exactly what the opponent will do, and he explains it clearly in the morning. When the puck drops, the opponent follows the blueprint and the Sabres stand there and get run over.”“The players don't listen or, even worse, don't feel they even have to listen. It's a major reason why the Sabres are bottom-feeders once again.”

Other than this one article by Vogl stating this, do we have any other evidence this is true?

Other than this one article by Vogl stating this, do we have any other evidence this is true?

It's kind of like the evidence we didn't have implicating Bylsma's system.  If they never play what they are asked to be played, we can't know what the instructions were.

It's kind of like the evidence we didn't have implicating Bylsma's system.  If they never play what they are asked to be played, we can't know what the instructions were.

But we do have Bylsma's words indicating that the stretch pass chip in that we had problems with was indeed his thing.

And it has been, without a doubt, eliminated as the preferred method of transition.

Well, we know that Vogl isn't in the morning meetings. He obviously got that opinion from somebody (somebodies?) who is in those meetings. Who was the source & what was their angle? This is the 1st time TTBOMK that anyone has said Housley is a savant at game planning.

I am merely asking for corroboration or more accurately have we had corroboration of it.

Well, we know that Vogl isn't in the morning meetings. He obviously got that opinion from somebody (somebodies?) who is in those meetings. Who was the source & what was their angle? This is the 1st time TTBOMK that anyone has said Housley is a savant at game planning.

I am merely asking for corroboration or more accurately have we had corroboration of it.

I guess it comes down to trust in Vogl as a professional

But we do have Bylsma's words indicating that the stretch pass chip in that we had problems with was indeed his thing.

And it has been, without a doubt, eliminated as the preferred method of transition.

...and look at how much better they're doing this season.   It's like night and day.

I guess it comes down to trust in Vogl as a professional

Maybe. Sounds like hyperbole to make a point that didn't require the hyperbole IMHO.

I literally am asking, now for a 3rd time, if this has been stated/ reported anywhere else before. I had not seen that before. Hooing it's true, but expecting it's hyperbole.

Maybe. Sounds like hyperbole to make a point that didn't require the hyperbole IMHO.

I literally am asking, now for a 3rd time, if this has been stated/ reported anywhere else before. I had not seen that before. Hooing it's true, but expecting it's hyperbole.

No idea.  I'm not a TBN subscriber.  I get tidbits as they show up on Twitter.  I suppose if Pham or Harrington said it along the way it would've been dismissed anyway.  Vogl has about as up and up rep as there is in Buffalo sports news.

I think something similar was said last year about his D prep work in Nashville. I vaguely remember one or more players stating that.

I think something similar was said last year about his D prep work in Nashville. I vaguely remember one or more players stating that.

Well we also have people vaguely remembering that he was solely responsible for how awesome the Nashville D is, :p, so hopefully you'll forgive my hope that we can get another confirmation of the Vogl contention. ;)

Edited by Taro T

...and look at how much better they're doing this season.   It's like night and day.

At even strength they've cut down chances against (shots against we are 13th instead of 28th) and high danger chances against. Our best players are scoring at their highest even strength totals they have in their time in Buffalo. I made a huge post aobut this that I'm sure you dismissed offhand because of its conclusion, but we lost a projected 30 goals from depth by replacing guys like Gionta with guys like Nolan/Griffith and our goaltending is much worse despite facing fewer and lower quality shots. If you gave us last year's goaltending in power play (something neither Phil nor Dan coached) our goal differential would literally be twice as good as it was last year. 

I know you don't give a ######, but that doesn't make it untrue. And believe it or not, Lehner and the power play have nothing to do with 5v5 transition play, which is what I was talking about in thefirst place. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.