Fire Phil Fan Club

LGR4GM

I said shots, not shot attempts.

Tend to agree on the Reinhart/Eichel maturing anyway take.

Where the disconnect seems to be happening here is you are framing it in the entire season. I am framing it in the way Bylsma’s first half compares to his second compared to the way Housley’s first half compares to his second.

We knew what Bylsma was but gave him a chance to prove otherwise.

He didn't. And he got fired.

So now we're giving Housley a chance to prove he's better than a known quantity, as is the case with all first time head coaches vs the scrap heap of guys with head coaching experience who have already been fired.

I prefer Housley to Bylsma at the moment simply because I prefer the risk/reward of finding a new head coach to hiring ones we already know are bad.

Maybe Housley sucks. I guess I don't really care. Because Bylsma sucked too, and at least Housley is still an open question as opposed to a known fact.

We knew what Bylsma was but gave him a chance to prove otherwise.

He didn't. And he got fired.

So now we're giving Housley a chance to prove he's better than a known quantity, as is the case with all first time head coaches vs the scrap heap of guys with head coaching experience who have already been fired.

I prefer Housley to Bylsma at the moment simply because I prefer the risk/reward of finding a new head coach to hiring ones we already know are bad.

Maybe Housley sucks. I guess I don't really care. Because Bylsma sucked too, and at least Housley is still an open question as opposed to a known fact.

I tend to agree with this... but the level of suck this season is far beyond anything anybody expected.

The debate is wether or not Housley deserves a chance next season.    If they have another poor October/November, their season is finished.   Can they afford another wasted season just to give Housley another chance?  Based on what they've seen thus far, is that a smart move?  Or should they bring in a more proven head coach who can at least get a consistent effort out these guys?   

That said, I believe they'll let Housley start the season, but I'm not sure that's the right move.    

I tend to agree with this... but the level of suck this season is far beyond anything anybody expected.

The debate is wether or not Housley deserves a chance next season.    If they have another poor October/November, their season is finished.   Can they afford another wasted season just to give Housley another chance?  Based on what they've seen thus far, is that a smart move?  Or should they bring in a more proven head coach who can at least get a consistent effort out these guys?   

That said, I believe they'll let Housley start the season, but I'm not sure that's the right move.    

It'd be a short list, I imagine, but I'd be heartily in favour of this.

I really just think it's a personnel issue at this point. We saw the inconsistency under Bylsma and we're seeing it still, although less often as the season has gone on. 

Losing Eichel hurt given that the roster is already pretty short on talent. Then have O'Reilly and Reinhart decide to take a night off and you get last night.

I just don't see how trying yet another coach is going to get guys like O'Reilly and Reinhart to show up every night. These guys have to be responsible for their own preparedness. It's on them.

If they don't feel any guilt or responsibility then no amount of ass kicking or chewing out is gonna get them there. 

I still say that the roster is not where it should / needs to be.

JBOT is only starting to tinker with it.

The players and coaches got this season to slowly figure tings out.

Any new players brought in before the start of next season will be given some time to fit in.

I believe that coach Housley will be given next season with the view that the roster will be better even if it is not quite there again.

Joel Quenville is the only coach that comes to mind who fits that bill.

Right or wrong I believe that Housley gets the entire year next to prove himself.

I really just think it's a personnel issue at this point. We saw the inconsistency under Bylsma and we're seeing it still, although less often as the season has gone on. 

Losing Eichel hurt given that the roster is already pretty short on talent. Then have O'Reilly and Reinhart decide to take a night off and you get last night.

I just don't see how trying yet another coach is going to get guys like O'Reilly and Reinhart to show up every night. These guys have to be responsible for their own preparedness. It's on them.

If they don't feel any guilt or responsibility then no amount of ass kicking or chewing out is gonna get them there. 

Agree with your main point. Disagree with a nuance.

It wasn't O'Reilly and Reinhart who didn't show up last night; indeed that was the only time the puck was in the Calgary end.

Larsson played without his stick all night, whether it was in his hands or not.

Pouliot was an utter disaster at centre ice.

Nolan worked hard but demonstrated yet again he is incapable using the puck.

Pominville can still think the game but he no longer has NHL skill.

Baptiste moved one step closer to showing he has no future in Buffalo

Josefsen demonstrated — as he does four games out of every five — how his best attribute is to simply occupy space.

Griffith proved — again — he is a complete NHL non-entity.

Even the usually hard-working Wilson wasn't in the groove.

Johnson reverted to his usual leaky self.

When that group is at its absolute best, we can hang with most teams because our top end guys are pretty solid.

But that's not going to happen every game, because there are simply too many regulars who aren't good.

• 2 weeks later...

From Hoppe on Twitter yesterday:

“Phil Housley to his team: ‘Start (expletive) working!’ #Sabres”

I thought that was rather silly.  A majority of those he was lecturing (hopefully) won't even return in the fall.   Why waste breath or energy on dead men walking, unless he's just trying to demonstrate to the front office that he cares/is doing something for brownie points. 

Either way, it didn't impress me.   

I thought that was rather silly.  A majority of those he was lecturing (hopefully) won't even return in the fall.   Why waste breath or energy on dead men walking, unless he's just trying to demonstrate to the front office that he cares/is doing something for brownie points. 

Weird take.

My sense is that he's an exasperated professional who's not done grinding.

I like this take. A coach who has to yell this in game whatever should be looking in the mirror. It does come off as a comment meant for public consumption.

:doh: Worst.FanClub.Ever.  

Good luck attracting a coach that wants to work for a club that will fire you when you struggle to win games with only 5 above average NHL caliber players on the roster.  And my 5 players are Eichel, Risto, Scandella, O'Reilly, Okposo.  Yes the team has a lot of potential, and I think we've seen it during some games against very good teams, but we started the season with one proven LW on the roster and he was traded at the deadline.  This season was over before it started.  

Housley is first year coach on a very weak team.  The Sabres have been moving the puck out of their zone with purpose since December, something that Blysma or Nolan never accomplished.  Am I the only one that remember how Blysma would have the wingers just standing at the red and blue lines to tip a puck in so they could go chase it?  Not only was it terrible and boring hockey, that doesn't help with player development either.  I'm not ready to pull the plug on Housley yet, and nobody else should be either.  The players are starting to play the system, and the system is showing promise.  Really I think the system is showing more promise that most of the players on this team at this point...

When does the heat begin for Phil?

20-30 games mark next year?

Yeh probably... but if he is smart he brings up the young hungry kids... Beaulieu/Falk 6/7th on D, Olloffson, Middlestadt and CJ Smith... buh bye Pulliott and Pommer and Gorges. Either Dahlin or top 4 winger keep Larrson and Girgenson along with Wilson for checking line. Put two with Eichel and 1 on ROR line and go for it. What else to lose... Either it works or not. Look to sign a FA puck moving D or trade for one.

I like this take. A coach who has to yell this in game whatever should be looking in the mirror. It does come off as a comment meant for public consumption.

Hilarious stuff right here.  Earlier in the year, when Phil Housley was happy, everyone would be like "Housley is too soft."  Now he says that and it's like "He's just saying it, doesn't impress me."  It's a team of players who have nothing to play for at this point, despite what they say to the media.  Sure they have to show up and play the game but every damn one of them is a liar if they say the games mean as much to them as they would if they were in a playoff battle.  The point of getting on their case is that they still need to actually perform.

Just curious, have either of you coached a team or managed people?  If you have, have you never experienced a moment where you just have to get in a team's face and try to snap them out of whatever moment they are in?  Sometimes you need to take a stark contract approach to get someone's attention.  Having managed people it's the same way... your team usually works hard but some days a person just doesn't have it.  You've got a find a way to try and motivate them.  Sometimes it results in the basic command, "Stop your damn moping and get it done."  

As for why you waste breath?  Think about that.  You are basically insinuating that Housley should pack it in.  Show up on the bench... walk off the bench and not care anymore.  That would set the best tone in the locker room I am sure.  I bet no one on this board would roast him for doing that.

Hilarious stuff right here.  Earlier in the year, when Phil Housley was happy, everyone would be like "Housley is too soft."  Now he says that and it's like "He's just saying it, doesn't impress me."  It's a team of players who have nothing to play for at this point, despite what they say to the media.  Sure they have to show up and play the game but every damn one of them is a liar if they say the games mean as much to them as they would if they were in a playoff battle.  The point of getting on their case is that they still need to actually perform.

Just curious, have either of you coached a team or managed people?  If you have, have you never experienced a moment where you just have to get in a team's face and try to snap them out of whatever moment they are in?  Sometimes you need to take a stark contract approach to get someone's attention.  Having managed people it's the same way... your team usually works hard but some days a person just doesn't have it.  You've got a find a way to try and motivate them.  Sometimes it results in the basic command, "Stop your damn moping and get it done."  

As for why you waste breath?  Think about that.  You are basically insinuating that Housley should pack it in.  Show up on the bench... walk off the bench and not care anymore.  That would set the best tone in the locker room I am sure.  I bet no one on this board would roast him for doing that.

Amen. 

I understand - if I were going to continue to manage an employee, it would be essential to try and find ways to motivate them, to improve future effort and results.  

However, if I knew the employee were leaving in two weeks - it would be inefficient and pointless to waste words on them, trying to shape or train them.    At that point, I'd shift from management mode to damage control.  Or if 2 or 3 out of twenty were to be retained, then take them aside and chide them separately.     

That's why I wondered if maybe he was doing it to play up to the public and the media, vs effectively managing his team? The time for all the anger and motivating fury was 3, 4 months ago - not now!  

Edited by Jsixspd

From Hoppe on Twitter yesterday:

“Phil Housley to his team: ‘Start (expletive) working!’ #Sabres”

That's great.   8 games left in the season and he wants them to "start" working.    Where was this in September/October?    I want him to express his level of frustration with this group verbally, but he also needs to follow this up with benchings and healthy scratches to back up his message, show them who's in charge... otherwise it's all talk.    I understand he's a first year head coach, but it's not like he's new to the game, he shouldn't just be figuring this out now.

When does the heat begin for Phil?

20-30 games mark next year?

Again, what has he done to deserve another shot next year.    This isn't the least talented roster in the NHL as the standings would indicate.

:doh: Worst.FanClub.Ever.  

Good luck attracting a coach that wants to work for a club that will fire you when you struggle to win games with only 5 above average NHL caliber players on the roster.  And my 5 players are Eichel, Risto, Scandella, O'Reilly, Okposo.  Yes the team has a lot of potential, and I think we've seen it during some games against very good teams, but we started the season with one proven LW on the roster and he was traded at the deadline.  This season was over before it started.  

Housley is first year coach on a very weak team.  The Sabres have been moving the puck out of their zone with purpose since December, something that Blysma or Nolan never accomplished.  Am I the only one that remember how Blysma would have the wingers just standing at the red and blue lines to tip a puck in so they could go chase it?  Not only was it terrible and boring hockey, that doesn't help with player development either.  I'm not ready to pull the plug on Housley yet, and nobody else should be either.  The players are starting to play the system, and the system is showing promise.  Really I think the system is showing more promise that most of the players on this team at this point...

Didn't seem to bother Bylsma.    Everybody is acting like this is the worst roster in the league... newsflash... this is a better roster than the 78 point team last season (without Eichel for the first 1/2 of the season).. and this group is nowhere near as competitive.   That's entirely on the coaching staff.

If you're already talking about "how many games before firing Housley next season", then IMO he doesn't deserve the chance.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.