Fire Phil Fan Club

LGR4GM

You're a cranky old tigger ain't ya? Alright dude, relax, it's just a hockey chat thing. You don't have a better replacement in mind it's ok to just say so. 

I am literally not paid to have a "better replacement" in mind. Do you honestly think Botterill isn't in touch with who in the NHL assistant ranks is up and coming and a possible good future head coach? Or who in the AHL might be ready to come up to the big leagues? You want a name because why? Fine Sheldon Keefe. Jim Montgomery. Todd Nelson. Are they better then Housley? idk maybe because they aren't currently coaching the lackluster band of lazy saps that is the Buffalo Sabres. 

The argument of "well who's gonna wanna coach this team" is such b%llshit I am sick and tired of hearing it repeated. There are 31 coaching jobs in the NHL. Your team could be the dumpster fire that is the Edmonton Oilers and still guys will line up to coach for you because there are 31 jobs in the NHL. We have this same argument every GD time we talk about getting a new coach and every time we have multiple candidates wanting a crack at the job. 

Edited by SkuggaLiger

I am literally not paid to have a "better replacement" in mind. Do you honestly think Botterill isn't in touch with who in the NHL assistant ranks is up and coming and a possible good future head coach? Or who in the AHL might be ready to come up to the big leagues? You want a name because why? Fine Sheldon Keefe. Jim Montgomery. Todd Nelson. Are they better then Housley? idk maybe because they aren't currently coaching the lackluster band of lazy saps that is the Buffalo Sabres. 

The argument of "well who's gonna wanna coach this team" is such b%llshit I am sick and tired of hearing it repeated. There are 31 coaching jobs in the NHL. Your team could be the dumpster fire that is the Edmonton Oilers and still guys will line up to coach for you because there are 31 jobs in the NHL. We have this same argument every GD time we talk about getting a new coach and every time we have multiple candidates wanting a crack at the job.

Please stop with fire Phil crap. You are right though... who would do better with this lack of talent, lazy, no goaltender crap heap. Dont think anyone till the talent is improved and TM really screwed up with his trades and less than adequate talent eval, especially on D. Sabres traded McNabb, Zadorov and Psyk. Id take all three over McCabe, Gorges and Franson and a oft injured Bogo. Kane while a good trade piece sucks at passing and giving away picks for Lehner was just stupid as I said originally. So as much as I hate to say it.. the Sabres are still tanking and its gonna be hard to find guys (prospects) other teams will trade for this teams current flotsam. So now again patience is needed despite our frustrations. If a couple guys develop as JBotts intends maybe the turn around will happen sooner but Im not holding my breath after TM screw ups.

I have no desire to see Phil Housley fired. While I don't necessarily think Phil is the right guy, I am more than willing to give him more than one season to see. This team is playing a more NHL style of hockey and honestly Phil seems to have grown and learned too. 

My issue is with the played out and old argument of "well who else ya gonna get!?!?!" which as has been demonstrated by every team, every time they  have a vacancy, there are always other coaches available. 

Edited by SkuggaLiger

I have no desire to see Phil Housley fired. While I don't necessarily think Phil is the right guy, I am more than willing to give him more than one season to see. This team is playing a more NHL style of hockey and honestly Phil seems to have grown and learned too.

. And I think that would be expected of a rookie coach with a suckass team. I think again slowly the team is getting better and he is learning how to counter another teams moves. Last nite was an effort issue.

. And I think that would be expected of a rookie coach with a suckass team. I think again slowly the team is getting better and he is learning how to counter another teams moves. Last nite was an effort issue.

This seems plausible. I like the individual development I have seen from most of the younger players between the Sabres and the Amerks.  They run basically the same system and that really helps because Baptiste can step in and just fit. 

So, by arguing against it, you've actually just laid out the case for why you agree with P4E's initial post.

So, by arguing against it, you've actually just laid out the case for why you agree with P4E's initial post.

Sure why not. 

Maybe the better question is if you fire Phil so quickly who do you plan to replace him with? Another guy with no nhl experience? Some guy fired by someone else? An old school guy out of touch with the new league? I don't see any obvious Gerard Gallant type candidates out there.  

Here's the original post. If you think that's what I just proved then sure. I don't think it is but at this point, I don't care. 

The best part is, we aren't firing Phil this offseason anyways. 

Edited by SkuggaLiger

Sure why not. 

Here's the original post. If you think that's what I just proved then sure. I don't think it is but at this point, I don't care. 

The best part is, we aren't firing Phil this offseason anyways. 

Fine Sheldon Keefe. Jim Montgomery. Todd Nelson...

The only guy you didn't list was the old out of touch guy.

I don't believe it's the coach, 1st it was Lindy Ruff being tuned out, then Dan Bylsma and now Phil Housley, the lunatics are running the asylum and it needs to be put to rest, Identify which players refuse to buy in and get rid of them, Kane is an obvious play, the guy is not a teammate, he is selfish and only cares about padding stats, I would get what I could and part ways, how and why it's taken this long to ship him is beyond me other than greed. I get that you want to get the most value for said player but if he's a detriment to your team during the process then he's doing more harm than good. Every single player not named Eichel/Ristolainen should have a price tag, we need speed around those players, speed is what will make this system work and guys like O'Reilly, Reinhart don't have the necessary speed to fit this system so it's time to bring in players who fit imo.

Disagree Sam has speed and uses it occassionally. Lately we have seen him try to take pucks to the net on the rush unsucessfully but he starting to do it and has had couple of breaks one he pulled up on. But since then he is trying drive to the net. Guy just appears to have never done it before. Betting he figures it out.

Edited by Kottbullar

Maybe Liger is just wrong. 

Nobody is saying that we couldn't find a coach. Of course we could find a warm body to be the coach of the Sabres. It's one of 31 coveted slots in the NHL. And that person might even turn out to be good, too. But unless it's a proven sure fire thing (if that even exists), then what's the point? It would just be another crap shoot so why even do it when we don't even know if Phil will be good yet?

I agree Phil won't be fired. Let's all hope the Sabres are good enough next season to land Phil in that never before seen Terry Pegula promised land, Third Year Head Coach.

Fine Sheldon Keefe. Jim Montgomery. Todd Nelson...

The only guy you didn't list was the old out of touch guy.

Keefe and Nelson were not allowed to interview with the Sabres last off-season, Buffalo asked and was denied permission in both cases.

They were also denied permission with Leafs AGM Kyle Dubas

Just for the record, I never said "who you going to replace him with?" because I thought no one would WANT to coach the Sabres. Tons of people would, that job pays good! I just don't think you fire a rookie coach after one season unless you have a solid (better) replacement so anyone who wants him fired should also suggest a better guy who is available. Otherwise give him a chance. 

We give rookie players 3-4 years so surely we can give little ol' Phil at least half that. 

Fwiw: I've now twice heard a rumour from people who have "contacts in the building" that some/many of the players have bristled and/or chafed at Housley's approach. The stories differed in some of the details, but the common theme was that Housley tends to act like he's coaching a high school or U20 Juniors team, and (some of) the players don't care to be treated like kids.

F.W.I.W.

I don't believe it's the coach, 1st it was Lindy Ruff being tuned out, then Dan Bylsma and now Phil Housley, the lunatics are running the asylum and it needs to be put to rest, 

There's something to be said for the gripe that this core of players keeps running people out of town.

Phil isn't going anywhere.  His system works... 

I'm starting to wonder.

Phil coached at the high school level for nearly 10 years, and, yes, coached a World Juniors championship team in 2013, before being hired into the Preds organ-eye-zay-shun in 2013. Trotz was the HC when he arrived, and Laviolette (sp?) took over in 2014.

In other words: He worked under two very seasoned head coaches with significant NHL track records of success. What exactly were his duties as an assistant coach in the NHL?

Oh agree he is in experienced and I think a former head coach a long side say Vinneault if he gets fired would be good. But still too early with this little talent. If by next year xmas Sabres in same

place then bring up Taylor interim and start looking. Again lack of talent is killing this team.

Let's all hope the Sabres are good enough next season to land Phil in that never before seen Terry Pegula promised land, Third Year Head Coach.

I wonder if Pegula could become so enraged at his own missteps and mismanagement as owner that he fires himself?  LOL

And don't forget - Pegula has stated he doesn't like to fire people.  lolololol -  imagine how many would be fired if he liked firing people?  LOL

PK Subban, Ryan Ellis and Roman Josi loving the way Housley treated them would seem to belie the idea that Phil can’t deal with veterans. But hey, who is to doubt the leadership core of a team that has won almost 150 games over the past six seasons?

Agreed.

Which brings me back around to thinking that there is something rotten in the state of Denmark.

OTOH, the way that Housley was able to deal with just the d-men may not have readily translated to how he deals with the entire squad. Maybe? I dunno.

Of course, even if he's precisely the same sort of guy with the Sabres as he was when he was with NSH leaves open the possibility that he is not a good NHL head coach.

PK Subban, Ryan Ellis and Roman Josi loving the way Housley treated them would seem to belie the idea that Phil can’t deal with veterans. But hey, who is to doubt the leadership core of a team that has won almost 150 games over the past six seasons?

Right?

If the players don't like being treated like kids, then maybe grow up?

Housley has been way too calm. He should have gone ballistic when Reinhart got an embellishment penalty when hit from behind. Throw a water bottle, throw some sticks, get kicked out, but show the team that you have some passion.

Ruff is no longer here. 

I can't distinguish between Housley being calm or lost.  It could well be the latter, or perhaps all of the above.

Ruff is no longer here. 

I can't distinguish between Housley being calm or lost.  It could well be the latter, or perhaps all of the above.

Man, I would give anything to hear what goes on behind that door after a no-show period.    The Road to the Winter Classic didn't really shed any light because Housley kicked the camera crew out of the locker room.    Is it because he's calling guys out individually?  Or just cussing up a storm?  

My intuition tells me he's just too soft.   For as a season as this is... I can count on one hand the number of times he's benched a player or sat him even for just a single shift.    That said, I don't think he has the respect of the players who are lost and looking for answers.    Phil isn't delivering... as a rookie head coach, can he figure it out before the end of the season?    My concern is that Housely, as a former player, is more concerned about maintaining friendships with the players and he himself fitting into the locker room and team culture.    That works fine if you're winning... but if effort, preparation, etc.. are the problem, then you need a drill sergeant, not another friend in the locker room.

Man, I would give anything to hear what goes on behind that door after a no-show period.    The Road to the Winter Classic didn't really shed any light because Housley kicked the camera crew out of the locker room.    Is it because he's calling guys out individually?  Or just cussing up a storm?  

My intuition tells me he's just too soft.   For as ###### a season as this is... I can count on one hand the number of times he's benched a player or sat him even for just a single shift.    That said, I don't think he has the respect of the players who are lost and looking for answers.    Phil isn't delivering... as a rookie head coach, can he figure it out before the end of the season?    My concern is that Housely, as a former player, is more concerned about maintaining friendships with the players and he himself fitting into the locker room and team culture.    That works fine if you're winning... but if effort, preparation, etc.. are the problem, then you need a drill sergeant, not another friend in the locker room.

This strikes me as a good read on the situation.

Seems to me that word percolated up to Pegula that Bylsma was too focused on a complex system of X's and O's, and not enough on building relationships with the players.

Then they hired Housley, and we heard this from Eichel in September:

If coaches are hard on me, they're hard on me. That's fine. I also like my coaches to have a personality. I want them to be able to talk to me about things that aren't about hockey. You come to the rink every day and some days you're in a good mood and some days you're in a bad mood. I like coaches to be able to relate to me a little bit. I've had hard coaches, I've had easy coaches, and it doesn't matter to me how they are as [far as] their personality. I just want to be able to know them outside the neutral-zone forecheck and the offensive zone.

Me, then: Dude. This is AWESOME. Harmony is upon us. Eichel *and* the Sabres are bound for 100 point seasons.

Me, now: Mmm,  'kay. 

I find myself pining for the team to bring in one of those old warhorses who've had a few stints here and there, and who have had some success in the league.

My intuition tells me he's just too soft.   For as ###### a season as this is... I can count on one hand the number of times he's benched a player or sat him even for just a single shift.    That said, I don't think he has the respect of the players who are lost and looking for answers.    Phil isn't delivering... as a rookie head coach, can he figure it out before the end of the season?    My concern is that Housely, as a former player, is more concerned about maintaining friendships with the players and he himself fitting into the locker room and team culture.    That works fine if you're winning... but if effort, preparation, etc.. are the problem, then you need a drill sergeant, not another friend in the locker room.

No, you need new players.

If we fire Housley and hire a drill sergeant personality, it will be yet another excuse this time next season: the new coach is too mean, doesn't listen to us, works us too hard at practice, makes playing hockey not fun, etc...if only we hire Coach #4 things will be better....

BULL .

Can't wait for The Purge. Only 6 more days.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.