Fire Phil Fan Club

LGR4GM

No, you need new players.

If we fire Housley and hire a drill sergeant personality, it will be yet another excuse this time next season: the new coach is too mean, doesn't listen to us, works us too hard at practice, makes playing hockey not fun, etc...if only we hire Coach #4 things will be better....

BULL ###### ######.

Can't wait for The Purge. Only 6 more days.

That would make sense, but....  Bylsma took a less talented roster to a respectable 78 points last year... and he didn't have Eichel for 1/3 of the season.   

Last summer they add some pieces (Scandella, Josefson, CJ, Pouliot, etc...) yet now they're on pace for only 60 points.   What changed?    Housley.

My theory is that some of the players really liked Bylsma and maybe it's those players who are not responding to Housley.... out of spite?

Selling low never ends well.   Just watch these guys blossom under other leadership.  

That would make sense, but....  Bylsma took a less talented roster to a respectable 78 points last year... and he didn't have Eichel for 1/3 of the season.   

Last summer they add some pieces (Scandella, Josefson, CJ, Pouliot, etc...) yet now they're on pace for only 60 points.   What changed?    Housley.

My theory is that some of the players really liked Bylsma and maybe it's those players who are not responding to Housley.... out of spite?

Selling low never ends well.   Just watch these guys blossom under other leadership.  

I'm not advocating that we sell low. I want fair market value for each and every loser on this roster. Risto and Reinhart are the only two players I could envision performing significantly better elsewhere. So I would be particularly careful when trading those two.

But make no mistake: The Purge must happen. It doesn't all have to happen next Monday. Some can be purged over the summer. Some can be purged next February. But purging must be done. 

I'm no longer interested in trying to sort out which players are Bylsma loyalists and which are part of some pro-Housley cabal. It's time to bring in talented hockey players who are also intrinsically self-motivated and naturally good teammates (i.e., have agreeable personalities and don't act like a bunch of backstabbing teenage girls on their respective periods).

PK Subban, Ryan Ellis and Roman Josi loving the way Housley treated them would seem to belie the idea that Phil can’t deal with veterans. But hey, who is to doubt the leadership core of a team that has won almost 150 games over the past six seasons?

Man, I would give anything to hear what goes on behind that door after a no-show period.    The Road to the Winter Classic didn't really shed any light because Housley kicked the camera crew out of the locker room.    Is it because he's calling guys out individually?  Or just cussing up a storm?  

My intuition tells me he's just too soft.   For as ###### a season as this is... I can count on one hand the number of times he's benched a player or sat him even for just a single shift.    That said, I don't think he has the respect of the players who are lost and looking for answers.    Phil isn't delivering... as a rookie head coach, can he figure it out before the end of the season?    My concern is that Housely, as a former player, is more concerned about maintaining friendships with the players and he himself fitting into the locker room and team culture.    That works fine if you're winning... but if effort, preparation, etc.. are the problem, then you need a drill sergeant, not another friend in the locker room.

These are both great points. On the one hand, it could be incredibly detrimental to allow this core to ship out yet *another* superior. It’s just asking for problems, both attitude related, and having to learn yet another system, related.

But what if Housley is a poor fit of a coach, and doesn’t possess the disciplinary/drill sergeant mentality that this team (maybe) needs?

My fear is that it’s a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation. Their only option may be to stay the course and hope Housley figures it out. That’s up to and including shipping out the guys that aren’t meshing with the coach/system.

What a cluster.

These are both great points. On the one hand, it could be incredibly detrimental to allow this core to ship out yet *another* superior. It’s just asking for problems, both attitude related, and having to learn yet another system, related.

But what if Housley is a poor fit of a coach, and doesn’t possess the disciplinary/drill sergeant mentality that this team (maybe) needs?

My fear is that it’s a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation. Their only option may be to stay the course and hope Housley figures it out. That’s up to and including shipping out the guys that aren’t meshing with the coach/system.

What a cluster.

yeh it is a cluster... not sure about Phil... he was considered a bit arrogant as a player.. can see that pissed look on his face but is it scolding or hard ass? Scolding goes only so far... dog houses often work better... woof woof

Agreed.

Which brings me back around to thinking that there is something rotten in the state of Denmark

I’ve been saying for 2 seasons that there is a problem with the core playets on this team. If they are tuning out the 2nd coach in a row, out TankFruit is rotten.

Well, the Sabres bought that centerpiece fruit for the foreseeable future.

I don’t have a single problem with what we’ve seen from Jack Eichel this year. He’s putting work into developing his two way game, his defence, particularly on the backcheck, while still having room to grow, is miles ahead of last season. His demeanour is vastly more mature in post game interviews compared to previous years. All while putting up a slightly higher points per game, on a terrible team, where last I saw he was leading the league in % of team goals he’s had a hand in.

He’s clearly committed. And he’s speaking the part. He’s walking the walk, and he’s leading; and whether because they are unwillingly, or incapable, many others on the team are apparently unable to follow.

I don’t have a single problem with what we’ve seen from Jack Eichel this year. He’s putting work into developing his two way game, his defence, particularly on the backcheck, while still having room to grow, is miles ahead of last season. His demeanour is vastly more mature in post game interviews compared to previous years. All while putting up a slightly higher points per game, on a terrible team, where last I saw he was leading the league in % of team goals he’s had a hand in.

He’s clearly committed. And he’s speaking the part. He’s walking the walk, and he’s leading; and whether because they are unwillingly, or incapable, many others on the team are apparently unable to follow.

Agreed. I think Eichel turned a corner this year. But other guys haven't followed

I would like nothing more than for Eichel to be *not* part of the problem. All available information seems to tell me that’s the case.

Agree with your first sentence. I’d say we have zero other than post game platitudes as evidence of the 2nd. I sure hope he isn’t among a group tuning out the coach, but he’s done it once so he doesn’t get my benefit of the doubt.

Agree with your first sentence. I’d say we have zero other than post game platitudes as evidence of the 2nd. I sure hope he isn’t among a group tuning out the coach, but he’s done it once so he doesn’t get my benefit of the doubt.

You can’t really prove a negative, so the burden of proof is on your side of the argument. If you think he’s tuning out the coach, where is the evidence?

We don’t need evidence that he’s NOT tuning out the coach. Even if his commitment to a much more well rounded game is not evidence enough.

Are there specific things from this season that suggest Jack is tuning out Housley? If the argument is that he’s for now on “tuning out the coach until proven otherwise” because it’s theorized that he tuned out Bylsma, that seems kinda odd. I’m not sure how anyone can approach that other than to point to the current situation in which there’s literally no smoke where Jack is concerned.

Put another way: What could Jack do in your eyes differently from this season so far to prove he’s not tuning out the coach?

Wow.. this thread is still going?

Housley is not the problem.  The core group of players (whoever they are) are not the problem.

The problem is the absolute lack of secondary scoring, the sub-par defense, and goaltending.  

This team is worse this year because they had to learn a new way to play and it took some time for them to get it.  Whether it was through willfully resisting Housley or just getting everyone up to speed, who knows.  There were also a ton of new faces on the roster in secondary roles.

This team, with Eichel, would be winning a few more but we've seen a general uptick in the way they play.  The problem remains their ability to score from the bottom 6 and struggles on the back end that expose a goaltender who lets in soft goals.  There are issues in the locker room I am sure.  I am sure that some of them perhaps have been laid to rest via communication.  Some of them may pertain to Lehner and/or Kane and hopefully those will be removed soon.  Once this team can ice a 3rd line that requires the opposition to pay attention things should change.

When I referenced evidence being to the contrary, I was thinking of what Thorny talked about:

I'll also say: He has exhibited and projected a more mature, serious-minded when addressing the media. Sure, that could be a charade, but it seemed indicative of him moving past the eye rolls and sarcasm and embracing a more professional approach.

I'm not saying that Eichel's not part of, the leader of, a coach-killing core. I'm saying I hope he isn't, and that it appears he isn't.

In all events, Eichel is here to stay. 

Wow.. this thread is still going?

Housley is not the problem.  The core group of players (whoever they are) are not the problem.

The problem is the absolute lack of secondary scoring, the sub-par defense, and goaltending.  

This team is worse this year because they had to learn a new way to play and it took some time for them to get it.  Whether it was through willfully resisting Housley or just getting everyone up to speed, who knows.  There were also a ton of new faces on the roster in secondary roles.

This team, with Eichel, would be winning a few more but we've seen a general uptick in the way they play.  The problem remains their ability to score from the bottom 6 and struggles on the back end that expose a goaltender who lets in soft goals.  There are issues in the locker room I am sure.  I am sure that some of them perhaps have been laid to rest via communication.  Some of them may pertain to Lehner and/or Kane and hopefully those will be removed soon.  Once this team can ice a 3rd line that requires the opposition to pay attention things should change.

Agree to an extent, but I’d say this slightly oversimplifies things in the sense that there are issues to be addressed within the core itself, as well. Notably the progression of Ristolainen and Reinhart, and the long term viability of Okposo.

Also, I’d love to say improving the 3rd line will fix things, but there are gaping holes in the top 6 LW, as well.

Before further weakening the culture by firing another coach, or deciding the core is broken, I want to see how this team looks when we’ve actually got eight real middle roster players instead of a lonely Marco Scandella lost in a collection of Benoit Pouliots and Johan Larssons.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

I'll also say: He has exhibited and projected a more mature, serious-minded when addressing the media. Sure, that could be a charade, but it seemed indicative of him moving past the eye rolls and sarcasm and embracing a more professional approach.

I'm not saying that Eichel's not part of, the leader of, a coach-killing core. I'm saying I hope he isn't, and that it appears he isn't.

In all events, Eichel is here to stay. 

I've noticed that the interruptory (possibly not a word, but neither is defenestate) "yeahs" are pretty much gone from his interviews. Maybe he got some media training last offseason.

Edited by PASabreFan

I've noticed that the interruptory (possibly not a word, but neither is defenestate) "yeahs" are pretty much gone from his interviews. Maybe he got some media training last offseason.

Useful word to invent, if it isn't one already.

I think he definitely got some training.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.