Fire Phil Fan Club

LGR4GM

Is this based on some report — the idea that Phil didn't look at video.

No link, sorry.

I do believe it was mentioned in the 'welcome to the show' presser to announce the hiring of Phil.  Something like everyone has a clean slate and that they will not be looking at any video of the past seasons.

Is this based on some report — the idea that Phil didn't look at video.

I've been looking for the video on and off for a bit, I had sworn during the summer that I had heard it and then that was verified first by a couple posters at hf, and then pi brought it up here before I had ever said anything too, so I know I wasn't just crazy. 

ah the phil haters are out. Again want to wait till next year mid season to eval him. New season, new system... needed to see how guys adjusted to new protocols or not and in what situations. Can we at least suspend this thread till after the first 20 games of the next season with some influx of talent and guys who have been in it awhile. I know its been a long time but until then think its still early in the teaching phase imo.

I've been looking for the video on and off for a bit, I had sworn during the summer that I had heard it and then that was verified first by a couple posters at hf, and then pi brought it up here before I had ever said anything too, so I know I wasn't just crazy.

I remember him saying something to that effect as well, but as is often the case with what coaches/athletes say publicly, I think people took it a wee bit too literally. I just took it to mean he wasn't coming to any firm conclusions, not that he literally didn't watch any film.

I remember him saying something to that effect as well, but as is often the case with what coaches/athletes say publicly, I think people took it a wee bit too literally. I just took it to mean he wasn't coming to any firm conclusions, not that he literally didn't watch any film.

This is my impression too.

wow, do I really need to spell it out for you?

No, I'm being a smart ass. They should have watched film. I think that contributed to the first half of the season sucking.

Seems likely. Never thought of it that way

In my opinion it’s the country club atmosphere that the Pegulas created once they took over. That locker room is the Taj Mahal compared to what it used to be. The Pegulas copied what the Penguins did with their digs, almost to a tee. This team has missed the playoffs in every FULL season since the Pegulas took over. That’s not a coincidence. Between the outrageous salaries and country club treatment, young kids these days have little incentive to bust their ass like decades past.

Maybe the better question is if you fire Phil so quickly who do you plan to replace him with? Another guy with no nhl experience? Some guy fired by someone else? An old school guy out of touch with the new league? I don't see any obvious Gerard Gallant type candidates out there.  

This argument is cliche and old.  Every time we talk about letting a coach go I hear the "well who else is going to coach the team!" trope and every single time there are multiple candidates lined up out the door to do it. Some of them have experience, some of them are young, some of them are old, some of them are AHL head coaches for years. Some of them fail. Some of them succeed. BUT THEY EXIST. 

This argument is cliche and old.  Every time we talk about letting a coach go I hear the "well who else is going to coach the team!" trope and every single time there are multiple candidates lined up out the door to do it. Some of them have experience, some of them are young, some of them are old, some of them are AHL head coaches for years. Some of them fail. Some of them succeed. BUT THEY EXIST. 

Thank you. I'd never even heard of the Bruins head coach. You can't swing a small, dead dog without hitting someone who could have done a better job than Housley. But -- first-timer, former Sabre from Terry's heyday at the Aud, USA Hockey guy, conservative politically with an up and comer politician wife. He checked all the boxes. (And probably one that we can't prove just yet. But it'll come out eventually.)

If Joel Quenneville becomes available, which is entirely possible, he would be one of the few candidates that I think Botterill would move on from Housley for this quickly.

Housley’s Out would be he wants to concentrate on Karin Housley’s US Senate Campaign should she be the Nominee.

That way both parties save face.

I understand what you are saying here, but you have to look at each situation on an individual basis. Last April after the Sabres fired Bylsma and Murray, the perception of the organization around the league was that it was absolute joke. This came from league media sources as well as TBN.

Hiring Botterill was considered very good move around the league and this started to improve the perception a tad bit.

Firing Housley after one year, with the roster they had would be a huge mistake, unless the above scenario occurs

If the roster is improved next season and they are still a tire fire after 20 Games, Hello Coach Tails

Well sorry for the old cliche argument - ease up ok? - but I don't see you with a list of names to replace him. 

GMs trying to build long term don't usually ditch young new head coaches first year they hire them. He will be fired sometime second year if they do not improve but not before. 

No he's not.

The team is going to be "fired" before he is, and we don't need to debate that.

Just wait a while and see what happens.

Jbot is going to clean out that locker room this off-season. I said that Jbot would change at least 10 players maybe more last off-season and I’m thinking something similar this off-season. Kane, Moulson, and Gorges are history (or will be). Bogo, Lehner and Johnson should be. UFAs like Nolan, Pouliot and Josefson are also likely history. That’s already nine. Add another couple of trades, demotions or letting some RFAs walk (Larsson, ERod, Big Z, Baloo, Falk, Wilson and Antipin are on this list) and you could have record turnover.

However TBN is starting to beat the Fire Phil drums. Sullivan’s column today, although a shot at the Pegulas, discussed why Phil needs to be in the hot seat by Thanksgiving.

I think you are right, Housley will stay but many players will not. It will be interesting though to see if Botterill owns up to any of his own mistakes eg. Beaulieu. or just ditches Murray players.

Can't disagree with this though: 

http://buffalonews.com/2018/02/14/jerry-sullivan-housley-early-candidate-for-the-hot-seat/

Well sorry for the old cliche argument - ease up ok? - but I don't see you with a list of names to replace him.

GMs trying to build long term don't usually ditch young new head coaches first year they hire them. He will be fired sometime second year if they do not improve but not before.

When Terry Pegula pays me millions of dollars to run his hockey team. Eat. Breath. Sleep. Hockey. Then I'll have a list of coaching names.

You want a list. Every ahl coach, every nhl assistant. There, list made.

Edited by SkuggaLiger

When Terry Pegula pays me millions of dollars to run his hockey team. Eat. Breath. Sleep. Hockey. Then I'll have a list of coaching names.

You want a list. Every ahl coach, every nhl assistant. There, list made.

You're a cranky old tigger ain't ya? Alright dude, relax, it's just a hockey chat thing. You don't have a better replacement in mind it's ok to just say so. 

Phil isn't going anywhere.  His system works... Now JBots just needs to find the players...  If if Larrson and Big Z are on anywhere but the 4th line next year, JBotts will have failed not Housley.  It means that not enough talent was brought in.  I am ok with keeping Joefson and Wilson too but the rest can go of GA's list,

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.