Fire Phil Fan Club

LGR4GM

When Reinhart has space, he can pass the puck as well as anyone on the team. Or, I should say, better than anyone on the team, except Eichel, who Sam would, I believe, actually equal in that regard. The difference between the two is that Eichel creates space for himself because of his raw athleticism, with a downright powerful and exceptionally balanced skating stride. Sam is an average skater who therefore, especially 5 v 5, will occasionally (and this year, often) struggle to create that space for himself. He doesn’t even have a threatening shot, to back defenders off. With weaker players, he’s rendered downright ineffective.

If paired with high skill players, it stands to reason that if those players are good enough to draw the lion’s share of the defensive focus from the opposing team, that may result in just a little bit more space for Sam, that he may be able to capitalize on. His hockey sense would serve him well in this regard, as well as his reasonably deft hands in close, if he can accept that his natural strengths in those areas are only beneficial if he’s supremely focused on his craft.

I don’t think Sam will ever be a good skater. His chances of success, in my mind, rest more firmly in his ability to grow his greatest strengths, and who he’s lined up with. Experience should help.

Whether one views Sam Reinhart as a piece to the their hypothetical contending team going forward could depend on how much value one attributes to players who are complimentary, rather than impact.

I pretty much agree with this. And I commend you on not mentioning his helmet adjustments :p

I think Reinhart is a good player (having a bad season) who helps make other good players better, but I don't think he's ever going to be an impact player that makes average players good. I had hopes he would get there, but that hope has faded. When paired with the likes of Girgensons/Larsson/Rodrigues on the 3rd line, he looks average. But I think he routinely adds value playing with O'Reilly, Eichel, and Kane. He's not the straw that stirs the drink, but he can help an already stirred drink mix better. 

We've already went the firing coaches route. How has that worked out for us? What coach in their right mind is going to want to take a job here after they hire a coach and then fire him 4 months into his first season?  Use some damn sense.  You can't just keep firing coaches.  The one constant through this whole time is the players playing like crap for 4 coaches.  It's time they start being the ones held accountable.

I'm not advocating firing the coach but the hard questions need to be asked. When the coach says I have no answers then maybe he is in over his head. Look at how other teams run their bench. You see coaches who have coached for decades helping out as assistant coaches all over the league. Phil brings in guys with as little experience as himself. When a first time G.M. brings in a first time coach with first time assistants on a team thats already got a rep as being fragile you have to ask the hard questions. What the hell is going on ? Are these guys so smart they don't need experience on the bench ? The results tell me otherwise.

What are the things Sam is good at other than camping out 2 feet from the net and tipping in rebounds ? 

Samson sometimes makes a pass I don't see anyone on this team make, not even jack.

I would have loved him as a 3C, still do but he needs a some big bodies that can finish next to him.

Samson sometimes makes a pass I don't see anyone on this team make, not even jack.

I would have loved him as a 3C, still do but he needs a some big bodies that can finish next to him.

And I think that is the problem with the Sabres.  While Kane doesn't pass enough and have very good ice awareness of his teamates, he is a finisher.  OK has stepped it up recently, but Sam needs these type of players on his line with the ability to get him the puck where he can make that pass.  

Kane would have more goals if he was better at passing the puck to a distributor. He seems to only score off the rush.  

Sam does need to get stronger on the puck and I have seen him trying more.  I still think his issue is a matter of body position in the corners.  Not sure if it leg strength or lowering his shoulders in the corner, but he is too easily knocked off the puck.  There are small guys like Zucarella who are much tougher in the corners.  Sam needs to get a little bit of rat in him to create space.  

I would not mess with Jack's skating style... it is a little awkward looking but very effective, but his pure strength and he is showing it more in the corners is coming along.  Again the Sabres need snipers, that is why Nylander is so disappointing in his effort, because he has the skills and a relatively big body, but plays much smaller than his size.  It is a mind set going into the corners.  That puck is mine attitude... a mean streak... that is why I like Tchakuk and the big Russian in the draft.  They seem to have that ability.  Short of the Sabres being able to draft Dhalin... one of those two would be ideal and if they can find a later 1st rounder in a suspected Kane trade that is a rat with attitude I believe would greatly benefit the Sabres.  I still hope one of the Euros in the pipeline will be able to step up soon.

I'm not advocating firing the coach but the hard questions need to be asked. When the coach says I have no answers then maybe he is in over his head. Look at how other teams run their bench. You see coaches who have coached for decades helping out as assistant coaches all over the league. Phil brings in guys with as little experience as himself. When a first time G.M. brings in a first time coach with first time assistants on a team thats already got a rep as being fragile you have to ask the hard questions. What the hell is going on ? Are these guys so smart they don't need experience on the bench ? The results tell me otherwise.

:thumbsup:

Totally agree. If Phil isn't doing well I think there are 2 issues at hand. His abilities and the fact the players on this team blow. 

We've already went the firing coaches route. How has that worked out for us? What coach in their right mind is going to want to take a job here after they hire a coach and then fire him 4 months into his first season?  Use some damn sense.  You can't just keep firing coaches.  The one constant through this whole time is the players playing like crap for 4 coaches.  It's time they start being the ones held accountable.

I hear this a lot. But it doesn't make sense. The player turnover has been massive from just the end of 2014-2015 -- only six guys are left from Ted's final season.

Housley getting the PP unit right, sticking with it, letting Jack stay out their all OT, have been positives from a lineup standpoint. The most important one is that he isn't tasking ROR with very many PK minutes lately. As a candidate to rapidly fall off as he ages because speed, there's no point to letting him be the first string PKer like he has been in this season. And it's not like the unit is any worse than last year when 4 short handed minutes per game helped him to be the forward with the most ice time in the league.

He won't get fired in his first season for sure.  He'll be here through at "least" 2018-19.  There's little doubt that the "attacking, aggressive defense entering the zone", has been non-existent.  We have players who have no literal experience (Antipin) wanting out for lack of playing time.  To be blunt, what has he shown to be given the right to earn that playing time.  Now, don't get me wrong Antipin should be playing over: Falk, Fedun, Nelson, Gorges for sure. 

Colorado stuck with their 1st year 1st time coach after their implosion last season. They dumped Duchene, repaired the D, dumped the over 30 crowd, elevated some kids and they are a playoff contender one year later.

Patience is a virtue.

All that is true, but the biggest reason for the turn around, IMO, is the fact that MacKinnon is the player, starting this season, that we all thought he would be.

• 3 weeks later...

No excuse for power play going from first to worst.  Phil and assistants are much too inexperienced and way over their heads.  Hopefully a coaching change occurs at end of season.  This team is much worse than when Bylesma was coach.

We have the best PP in the NHL since January 7th...I think they are starting to get it figured out...wonder why it took so long tho...

It's no secret...let Jack Eichel draw 2 or 3 people to him and make them look silly flailing at the puck and have Reinhart in front of the net

Which is why I am glad we have Jack Eichel and not Dylan Strome. 

Eichel is starting to turn into a beast...

Edited by matter2003

I like how samson has some confidence now, you can see how he is skating through the neutrale zone with the puck on his stick sometimes.

I believe I'm ready for the Eichel captaincy.

(Sam) is attacking the game instead of waiting for the game to come to him. Love it.

I see two things in Jack these days: 1. He's bringing a more physical game. Not a big punishing hitter, but enough pushback to earn respect from defenders, and to disrupt the play when he's defending. 2. His play without the puck is vastly improved. This is evidenced both on offense and defense. You don't see him coasting on the back check; he's skating hard. And when he's on offense without the puck, he's doing a lot better job of being in the right spot to create a dangerous scoring play. Earlier in his career when he was without the puck he just made himself available for the return pass right away, and usually got it. Opposing defenses recognized him and learned to shut it down. Now when he's covered without the puck, he either draws defenders away from the puck carrier, escapes the defenders to find open ice or... and this is the big part... he lets the play develop without being the puck carrier. He used to be a one-trick pony; he's a much more complete player now.

I wanted to collect these scattered quotes here, because it’s relevant here.

Jason Botterill was very clear that communication and development were his highest priorities - not just the prospects, but with the players already here.

He hired a communicator and told him to start developing.

I expected it was going to take time to wipe off the Bylsma stink of hiding weaknesses and trying not to lose.

What I needed to see was the young guys getting better as the year went on.

I don’t think it is a coincidence that our two most important players - three if you make the plausible case for Risto - have played the best hockey of their young careers over the past month. It was and continues to be, by far, the most important thing for this franchise.

PA and others are right when they say they have to continue this next fall when the games mean something.

And a lot of holes still have to be filled in the supporting cast.

But Phil and Jason - through Sam and Jack - are giving me hope.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

Jason Botterill was very clear that communication and development were his highest priorities - not just the prospects, but with the players already here.

I expected it was going to take time to wipe off the Bylsma stink of hiding weaknesses and trying not to lose.

I don’t think it is a coincidence that our two most important players - three if you make the plausible case for Risto - have played the best hockey of their young careers over the past month. It was and continues to be, by far, the most important thing for this franchise.

PA and others are right when they say they have to continue this next fall when the games mean something.

There's going to be a mutiny here if you keep talking like that. Way too many "Sam should have been gone months ago," "Ship everybody out! We need turnover," and "There needs to be change. Get rid of Housley." people here.

I know there's been a playoff drought -- I get it. And season tickets keep increasing in price. But, my God, take a chill pill people.

I still have issues with Housley's approach.   

That said, he's an NHL rookie head coach himself... he has room to grow.     I like his response after the game tonight... early in the season I'm not sure he takes that same approach.

And the idea that him and Botterill gave everybody a clean slate at the start of the season when there was years of film on some of these guys... 

"Whoever wishes to foresee the future must consult the past; for human events ever resemble those of preceding times. This arises from the fact that they are produced by men who ever have been, and ever shall be, animated by the same passions, and thus they necessarily have the same results." - Machiavelli

This, along with the kids in Rochester, are what we have to cling to, along with our guns and our religion. It's a bending sapling in the middle of a raging river, but, as they say, any port in a storm.

I still have issues with Housley's approach.   

That said, he's an NHL rookie head coach himself... he has room to grow.     I like his response after the game tonight... early in the season I'm not sure he takes that same approach.

And the idea that him and Botterill gave everybody a clean slate at the start of the season when there was years of film on some of these guys... 

"Whoever wishes to foresee the future must consult the past; for human events ever resemble those of preceding times. This arises from the fact that they are produced by men who ever have been, and ever shall be, animated by the same passions, and thus they necessarily have the same results." - Machiavelli

There was years of film on these guys playing together in Phil's system? Wow that's pretty cool. Can I borrow the time machine you used for that? 

There was years of film on these guys playing together in Phil's system? Wow that's pretty cool. Can I borrow the time machine you used for that?

It is huge negligence to purposely not watch tape of what your players did the past three years, and many of Phil's biggest mistakes have been directly because of that. It's staggering, quite frankly.

He could have seen Risto break down by game 60 at 27 minutes per night in a role he's not suited for, but he's doing it again. He would have seen your favorite Kane-Jack combo fail.

It is huge negligence to purposely not watch tape of what your players did the past three years, and many of Phil's biggest mistakes have been directly because of that. It's staggering, quite frankly.

He could have seen Risto break down by game 60 at 27 minutes per night in a role he's not suited for, but he's doing it again. He would have seen your favorite Kane-Jack combo fail.

True. I think Phil has made quite a few mistakes this season. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.