Fire Phil Fan Club

LGR4GM

Housley's comments after the Stars game were pretty solid.

He seemed genuinely pissed and flat out said this game shows us what kind of players we have on the team, what direction to go in in the future, and what "buttons to push."

AMEN BROTHER!  I don't think Housley has done a great job of things, but we have a huge collection of losers on this team who are not that interested in being professional hockey players....that's where the problem lies.  On top of that, there's not a lot of talent to spread around either. 

It's funny, seeing as this entire rebuild was initiated b/c we had precisely the same team, just with different names.

:lol:

I can't help but wonder if Scott Wilson was brought in to be a mole off ice when coaches aren't really around. Risky proposition but something had to be done.

Because he clearly has no value on the ice?

Edited by Mick O’Manly

For all we know, he might think the rest of the roster is worth a bag of rocks.

Here we go again.

Apparently that wasn't enough. The cancer persists.

@BrianWGR Gorges: "If you're not ready to have that all-out effort and battle, you not gonna make it. At the end of the day it's up to yourself, at some point we have to look in the mirror.....how many years have we been talking about this." #Sabres

I don't get the quote. I really don't. Hammy got on this during the postgame show. "The same thing happened to Bylsma and to Nolan and to Rolston and even to Lindy." Lindy?! There's no one left from Lindy. Or even Rolston probably. #beyondbo

So under Phil Housley:

Jack Eichel and Evander Kane are poised for career years

Ryan O’Reilly, Robin Lehner, Rasmus Ristolainen, Marco Scandella and Kyle Okposo (minus the first month of recovery) are having typical years.

Sam Reinhart is regressing.

Is there anyone else who matters on this year’s squad?

I don't see how that analysis of the players can possibly mesh with the Sabres' record.

Any decision on Phil won't be made in a vacuum. Russ has no idea how they're going to avoid a mass defection of season ticket holders. If he feels it's going to happen no matter what, they probably just ride it out. But if he thinks a sacrifice could stem the tide, look out Housley. What Russ can sell is Rochester, and their head coach. Phil could get a nice blue and golden parachute and say he needs to support his wife in her run for the Senate.

Any decision on Phil won't be made in a vacuum. Russ has no idea how they're going to avoid a mass defection of season ticket holders. If he feels it's going to happen no matter what, they probably just ride it out. But if he thinks a sacrifice could stem the tide, look out Housley. What Russ can sell is Rochester, and their head coach. Phil could get a nice blue and golden parachute and say he needs to support his wife in her run for the Senate.

And get an assistant job with the Wild ...

Housley's comments after the Stars game were pretty solid.

He seemed genuinely pissed and flat out said this game shows us what kind of players we have on the team, what direction to go in in the future, and what "buttons to push."

AMEN BROTHER!  I don't think Housley has done a great job of things, but we have a huge collection of losers on this team who are not that interested in being professional hockey players....that's where the problem lies.  On top of that, there's not a lot of talent to spread around either. 

It's funny, seeing as this entire rebuild was initiated b/c we had precisely the same team, just with different names.

:lol:

This is true especially the last line. Seems the tank was a fire and a miss. Time for a reset ?

The same as I said in the GDT about lehner.

no goalie can save this team

no coach can save this team

but if we do fire Housley, I want Ruff back and Houslely can be our defensive coach.

Also I'm very drunk, and after watching 6 seasons of futility at 01.00 am I think I want some change.

I'm starting to put more merit into the idea that Phil and JBot went into this together, thinking: let's just throw 'em into the deep end and let 'em sink. Maybe Phil has a really convincing breakdown of his theoretical system, and knows his X's & O's, and Botterill is a believer. JBot then got excited about building a team around that philosophy, and wanted to see every player completely exposed, to know what work he has to do. Kind of like an audition year for the whole team.

It would make sense, especially if they trust one another as a tandem, and don't feel any of the "win now" pressure. Maybe they got the "OK" to play the long game. It would be fantastic if GMBot really unlocked the secret to NHL success in building through the farm team.

If this is phase 1, I think Housley gets a full shot at going through phase 2, which will probably be next season. Maybe Botterill is actually more focused on who is going to replace the Roch call-ups next year, rather than who is going to be the key UFA signing or blockbuster trade.

So, I wonder if you season ticket holders will get a renewal letter with another price increase? They should actually give you 20% off for putting up with this season.

I would copy a bunch of laugh sound bytes to a thumb drive and send it back in the renewal envelope.

this poor effort is on the players not the coach. its easy to blame the coach. he is not the one on the ice. he is not the one quitting 10 minutes into the game because they are down 2-0

this team has the biggest group of winey winers i have ever seen 

No

It’s way too early to fire Housley, even they did no coach worth his salt would come near this team.

I’ll admit the shine has worn off him for me with some of his decisions, but he needs more time.

I am not entirely convinced that Housley was Botterill’s First Choice. There was enough smoke around Rick Tocchet to make me believe that he may have been GM Bots First Choice. The question is did Tocchet look at the State of the Sabres and say no, or did (With Apologies to PA) did Pegula say no and tell him to hire Housley because “I used to love watching him play.”

I do take solace in the fact that Botterill is following what they did in Pittsburgh and does have a seemingly strong coach percolating in the AHL in Chris Taylor

I think Housley was Botterill's choice. I was certainly not against the hire. Having said that Housley has failed to advance the team and I think they have actually digressed under him. Do I think he should go? No. I think it's too early for that.

Think we are pretty alone in the bring back ruff department :p

I felt they shouldn't have fired him to begin with. Darcy needed to go but any new GM normally wants to name his own coach. Darcy fired Ruff and bought a bit of time for himself but his fate had been sealed. Ruff is a good coach.

Other than CT in ROC, are there any good replacements available?

I hope there is a bigger plan between JB and PH because I cannot take too many more games like yesterday. I genuinely only tune in to watch Jack Eichel and his quest to become a ppg player. That is it. This "team" stinks and any rational fan would not waste their time and money right now. Unfortunately I'm not rational and thus I suffer.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.