exploring the idea of John Tavares as a Buffalo Sabre

JohnRobertEichel

He's not going anywhere. We do this every time with big players like this. They never leave.

The only one I see having a remote possibility of leaving in the near future is Karlsson

Yup.

I just don't see this at all.  I think he stays with NYI or goes home to Toronto.  A possible dark horse  is a certain West Coast team that will be losing two $7M/yr contracts this summer.

I don't think Toronto would have the money for him, with all the players they'll have coming up for new deals.

Who is that Dark Horse team?

I'm done with bandaids. You bring in Tavares, ROR goes. You'll need that money. Tavares comes in at 9.5 maybe 9 if you're lucky. Won't change much because the key to success is drafting well, every year. It creates internal competition and forces the Moulsons and other weak spots off and out.

I'd bring in John, ship Ryan out for picks as prospects.

Why ? See Malkin/Crosby/Kessel/Letang and cap is going up. ROR can stay if we unload Pommers at the deadline.

Edited by Gramps

I see no reason to not try to sign Tavares. He takes Reinhart's or O'Reilly's roster spot. The players you mentioned are complementary players. Tavares is a franchise player, you simply don't pass on a chance to get one.

I just don't want to overpay. Of course I would take him at the right price but that is not how free agency works. This franchise will be better off in the long run by not over paying and getting hitched to players on the back half of their career. I don't think this is a defeatist attitude, I think it's prudent.

I just don't want to overpay. Of course I would take him at the right price but that is not how free agency works. This franchise will be better off in the long run by not over paying and getting hitched to players on the back half of their career. I don't think this is a defeatist attitude, I think it's prudent.

It's a good point. Tavares, Karlsson, and Doughty are all going to get drastically overpaid while heading into the downslopes of their careers.

I'm not saying I don't take one, but there's a negative side that bears thinking about.

If we can dump Okposo, that changes things. We'd be replacing an overpaid player with a much better overpaid player.

Edited by Bjorn Borg

It's a good point. Tavares, Karlsson, and Doughty are all going to get drastically overpaid while heading into the downslopes of their careers.

I'm not saying I don't take one, but there's a negative side that bears thinking about.

If we can dump Okposo, that changes things. We'd be replacing an overpaid player with a much better overpaid player.

I can't imagine us being able to dump Okposo when he's a big reason he'd want to come here. I wonder if 7x11 would bring him here?

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/531255

Edited by dewookieen

Read every response.

No easy way to say it, so I'll just say it.

If Tavares goes to FA and has an interest in Buffalo, you sign him to max term (8 yrs) at a reasonable aav 9 to 11 mil a season. You move ROR, Pominville and Bogo to make it happen. It's not even debatable in my humble opinion.

He can only get 7 years, but otherwise I'm with you.

Of course, the "If" in this case, as you start your post, is enormous. I would have led with: "In the astronomically unlikely event that..."

I'm done with bandaids. You bring in Tavares, ROR goes. You'll need that money. Tavares comes in at 9.5 maybe 9 if you're lucky. Won't change much because the key to success is drafting well, every year. It creates internal competition and forces the Moulsons and other weak spots off and out.

I'd bring in John, ship Ryan out for picks as prospects.

I'll be as bold as this, If O'Reilly is traded by the deadline, JT will be with us.

Edit: I have a feeling he will be gone.

Edited by blåbär

I am usually not in favour of signing a 27 year old to a 7 year deal but JT is elite. I know his production would decline in a year or two but he is the type who could transform his game, similar to what Yzerman did.

I think ROR would have to leave for cap/ice time reasons and I'm OK with that as he would bring a nice bundle in return. We would be ahead by the JT upgrade plus the return for ROR.

I agree he would be the captain and have the respect of the room.

Comparing Tavares to Okposo, Ehrhoff and Leino is crazy. He's a superstar! Not doubt about it. If he came here and didn't produce it would be time to sell the team and burn the arena. Anytime you can acquire a player like that without losing assets (not including cap room) you do it. Trade him after a season for 4 1sts if you have to. If he would come here for what he's worth 10.5M-11M do whatever you can to make it happen.

Edited by LikeEich

“There is something in his contract that the Ottawa Senators can request his list of teams he will not be traded to – there’s 10 of them,” noted Friedman during the Saturday Headlines segment on Hockey Night in Canada. “And there were a lot of rumblings this week that Ottawa did indeed do that.

“Now, Pierre Dorion would not comment. The agent, Don Meehan, would not comment. I was kind of stuck here, and somebody called me to say, Look, he was concerned that this would be phrased as, ‘Ottawa is trying to get rid of Erik Karlsson.’ He said, ‘That is not the case.’ That they’re not going to trade him because they were angry and whatever happened two weeks ago, I think everybody is trying to move past that.

“What I do think is happening is this: Ottawa is struggling. They’ve got 10 players with no-trade contracts. They’re getting all of them  – the ones that had to be in earlier and the ones like Karlsson they can ask for – and they’re going to figure out what they’re going to do."

https://www.fanragsports.com/mckenzie-analyzes-karlsson-no-trade-list-report/

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.