Can they really be this bad or are they tanking (but not telling anyone)

Sabre fan

32 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Sabres really this bad?

• yes, there's no talent here or it's over-rated
    • no, they are tanking without anyone knowing
    • they are not this bad and will improve given time under Housley

I actually find it hard to believe that this team can be this bad. They were actually better under you-know-who (those two who ran the club last season). I find it hard to believe that jack can play this bad and uninspired. Could it be that JBotto has quietly decided that the one thing this team needs badly is that stud defenceman (kinda like that guy who'll go first overall next summer).

Keep in mind here, Pittsburg totally tanked and got those guys that kinda helped them win all those cups. It is easier to tank then to find and actually get one of those jewels on the blueline in a trade. No one is trading he kind of defenceman this team needs. Clearly he is going to be number one next summer. Maybe JBotto actually thinks we can actually win a draft lottery (haha as if the NHL would ever let us win one).

So, do you really think or believe they are this bad? Or are they actually tanking without anyone knowing it? I vote for #2...think JBotto has told the team to do all they can to ensure we get a shot at Dahlen.This kid looks like the next big thing on defence and the odds say that the Sabres have to win a lottery sooner or later. he would change the entire structure of this team overnight. If they are tanking, good for them, If they are really this bad, they need to fold and buy the Carolina franchise...

I think the house of cards Disco and xGMTM built up to the point of mediocrity collapsed once JBOT and Housley came in and wanted to go in a more proactive (you know, keep the puck, pass it to actual teammates) direction.  I'd be shocked if either of the latter two found this to be entirely surprising, in all honesty.  

Last season might well have been the best it could possibly have gotten given the roster as constructed and the prospect pool having dried up thanks to the pipeline to other teams xGMTM had installed to construct said roster.  This is, of course, all my opinion with the benefit of hindsight.  

i am just suspicious of why jack and Risto and whoever else is suddenly so bad and seemingly don;t care. I was expecting all this enthusiasm and was hoping to see a more exciting team but they are actually worse then last season. That is really hard to believe

I should note that I'm not sure they'll improve under Housley, but the team as-is can play better. I'm not laying it at Housley's feet, but it may be a case where a coaching change would make a ton of difference by being a large shake-up in and out of the locker room.

I think the house of cards Disco and xGMTM built up to the point of mediocrity collapsed once JBOT and Housley came in and wanted to go in a more proactive (you know, keep the puck, pass it to actual teammates) direction.  I'd be shocked if either of the latter two found this to be entirely surprising, in all honesty.  

Last season might well have been the best it could possibly have gotten given the roster as constructed and the prospect pool having dried up thanks to the pipeline to other teams xGMTM had installed to construct said roster.  This is, of course, all my opinion with the benefit of hindsight.  

I agree. I've said before that I think what Dan was doing in trying to shelter this team and its shortcomings was problematic. His play-not-to-lose approach severely stunted any growth that might have been expected from playing a more appropriate system but being just plain old bad. Housley isn't sheltering this team and their true mediocrity has been exposed. This roster was worse than Bylsma's system was letting on, but I think Botterill and Housley probably knew that might happen. Botterill should be familiar enough with Bylsma to know what he was getting in to. 

I actually find it hard to believe that this team can be this bad. They were actually better under you-know-who (those two who ran the club last season). I find it hard to believe that jack can play this bad and uninspired. Could it be that JBotto has quietly decided that the one thing this team needs badly is that stud defenceman (kinda like that guy who'll go first overall next summer).

Keep in mind here, Pittsburg totally tanked and got those guys that kinda helped them win all those cups. It is easier to tank then to find and actually get one of those jewels on the blueline in a trade. No one is trading he kind of defenceman this team needs. Clearly he is going to be number one next summer. Maybe JBotto actually thinks we can actually win a draft lottery (haha as if the NHL would ever let us win one).

So, do you really think or believe they are this bad? Or are they actually tanking without anyone knowing it? I vote for #2...think JBotto has told the team to do all they can to ensure we get a shot at Dahlen.This kid looks like the next big thing on defence and the odds say that the Sabres have to win a lottery sooner or later. he would change the entire structure of this team overnight. If they are tanking, good for them, If they are really this bad, they need to fold and buy the Carolina franchise...

Except Pittsburgh didn't tank to get Malkin, Fleury, and Crosby.

I think both the second and third are true.  I think winning this year has been declared nice but not necessary.  Player development, breaking bad habits, teambuilding are the order of business this season.  Next season I think you'll see several Calder Cup Champions moving up to the team and all the one-year placeholders gone.  If the Sabres happen to win the lottery, so be it.

They are not tanking. It has been said before, but players won't throw a game on purpose. JBot has had enough time to see this sh#% show first hand and now he will make some moves.

Agreed.

They came, they failed, they will be shipped out.

JBotts can now proceed to implement his vision of what this team will become.

I think both the second and third are true.  I think winning this year has been declared nice but not necessary.  Player development, breaking bad habits, teambuilding are the order of business this season.  Next season I think you'll see several Calder Cup Champions moving up to the team and all the one-year placeholders gone.  If the Sabres happen to win the lottery, so be it.

Moulson to be the catalyst for a Calder Cup?

Good post

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.